Campus Life, National News, News

Republican debate to be held at UM

UPDATED, 8:36 p.m. Jan. 20:

Chris Dalton, President of the UM College Republicans, was excited to hear the Republican nominees would be debating at the school.

“The announcement that the University of Miami will host a Republican Primary Debate is exciting news for the entire UM family. College students will bear the burden of the priorities and policies of the next president, and as such we are eager to play such a vital role in helping to vet and select the next commander-in-chief. As an organization, the University of Miami College Republicans have been actively following all of the debates and are excited at the prospect of not only being able to watch a debate live, but to host it right on our campus. Just five days before the Florida primary, this debate could be the deciding factor for many voters here in Florida. Regardless political party, all 16,000 students are fortunate to have this major campaign event happening at the University of Miami.”

The University of Miami will play a role in the selection of the next Republican nominee for the 2016 presidential election.

The Republican National Committee announced Wednesday that the school will host a debate on March 10, according to the Miami Herald. The debate will be  five days before the Florida Republican primary and one day after a Democratic primary debate will be held at Miami Dade College. CNN, the Washington Times and Salem Radio Network will lead the debate.

During the 2008 presidential election cycle, the school hosted primary debates for both the Republican and Democratic parties. Both were led by Univision. UM also hosted a general election debate between President George W. Bush and John Kerry in 2004.

Former Florida Governor Jeb Bush, as well as Florida Senator and UM Law School grad Marco Rubio, could be involved in the debate if they make it through the month and a half of caucuses leading up the debate, which is the last scheduled debate in the Republican primary cycle.

A University spokesperson did not confirm or deny the report.

Featured image courtesy Flickr Ninian Reid

William Riggin

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Listeners to UM President Julio Frenk’s State of the U reacted positively to the message and the Uni ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Tropical storm scientists and climate experts at the University of Miami provided insight, observati ...

Joseph Ganitsky, a professor in the Miami Business School, examines the financial crisis facing Arge ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...