Basketball, Sports

Coach Meier earns 200th win as Hurricanes women’s basketball beat Tar Heels 76-61

Head Coach Katie Meier earned her 200th victory as head coach of the Hurricanes women’s basketball team, and her squad has won its fourth straight game on Sunday afternoon. No. 21 Miami defeated the North Carolina Tar Heels 76-61 in Chapel Hill in a contest that was more competitive than it might seem.

Through the first three quarters, the score was close with both teams going back and forth. The Canes (17-2, 5-1) took over in the fourth period to put the game out of reach thanks to an 11-2 run from the 7:49 mark to the 4:09 mark in the final quarter. During this run, the Canes showed off pinpoint passing as they assisted on every basket.

Miami benefitted from its three-point shooting, hitting nine to North Carolina’s three. The team also outrebounded the Tar Heels 43-37 and scored a whopping 24 bench points to the opponent’s zero. The Canes also scored 16 points off turnovers.

Junior guard Adrienne Motley led the team in scoring with 20 points, but the game ball definitely goes to freshman guard Laura Cornelius, who had the best overall performance with 13 points, eight rebounds and seven assists. Three of those assists came during the run in the fourth quarter.

Three North Carolina (12-8, 2-3) players scored in double figures, but the team only played six total players throughout the game. Fatigue could very well have been the reason for the Tar Heels’ weak final 10 minutes.

The Canes next face off against ACC rival Florida State at 1 p.m. on Sunday, Jan. 24 in the BankUnited Center.

Feature photo courtesy HurricaneSports.com

Isaiah Kim-Martinez

Isaiah Kim-Martinez can be reached on Twitter at @isaiah_km.

The Asa Martin era for the Miami Hurricanes might be coming to an end just six months after it began ...

Avantae Williams and Lorenzo Lingard punctuated Paradise Camp with a chest bump. The Miami Hurricane ...

Sebastian the Ibis of the University of Miami displayed tremendous defense in leading the Pizza Hut ...

June is one of the most important months in the recruiting calendar and the Miami Hurricanes finishe ...

A six-pack of notes from UM’s annual Paradise Camp on Saturday: ▪ Few Canes greats have as unique a ...

In the first course of its kind on a college campus, faculty, staff, and students will learn if they ...

University of Miami Libraries is working to establish a University archive of LGBTQ materials. ...

University of Miami football players and coaches mentored area youth at a free football clinic in Ho ...

Some scientists fear that the new fifth generation of wireless networks interferes with critical sat ...

A new study led by Miller School professor Dr. Claes Wahlestedt observes that key molecular programs ...

Five members of the Miami women's tennis team earned All-ACC Academic Team distinction, as anno ...

Eight Miami Hurricanes were among those recognized by the conference with selections to the Track an ...

Franco Aubone and Francisco Bastias of the University of Miami men's tennis team were selected ...

UM forward Dewan Hernandez was selected 59th overall by the Toronto Raptors in the 2019 NBA Draft. ...

Check out the June edition of UM Athletics' e-magazine. ...