Basketball, Sports

Hurricanes women’s basketball improves to 16-2 with 71-60 win over Wake Forest

The No. 21 Hurricanes defeated ACC foe Wake Forest, 71-60, at the BankUnited Center on Thursday night. Redshirt junior forward Keyona Hayes led the Canes to victory, matching her career-high of 22 points. Hayes, who also grabbed six rebounds, was an efficient scorer, as she shot 80 percent (8-of-10) from the field, which is a mark much higher than her season average of 50.4 percent.

“Without an unbelievable game by Keyona Hayes, which was unbelievable, I think we are sitting here with a loss,” Head Coach Katie Meier said.

Hayes’ stellar performance came on the heels of her switching to a new facemask. She first wore the mask in the loss to University of Virginia on Dec. 22, 2015 due to an unspecified facial injury.

Although Hayes played lights-out, the team collectively did not have a terrific performance. The game was closer than anticipated, as the Deacons Rating Percentage Index (RPI) rank is 182, second worst in the ACC behind only Clemson. RPI measures sports teams based on their wins, losses and strength of schedule.

“We were soft and a little bit sloppy tonight,” Meier said.

The Canes (16-2, 4-1) forced the Deacons into committing 24 turnovers, a common thread this season, as the Canes came into the game forcing an average of 19.6 turnover per game.

In addition to Hayes, junior guard Adrienne Motley was a key contributor, tallying 18 points and five rebounds.

Miami started the game with some shooting woes. Halfway through the first quarter the Canes had only converted one of their first eight shot attempts. Despite the meager shooting, the Canes got out to an early 12-4 lead. The Canes maintained the lead throughout the half, which ended with Miami up 37-29.

Wake Forest (9-8, 0-4) opened the third quarter with an 8-0 run to tie the game at 37. However, the Canes struck back with a 9-0 run of their own, allowing them to regain command of the game.

The remainder of the game came without much resistance from the Deacons, giving the Hurricanes their 16th win of the season.

After only a one-game home stand, the Canes will head to Chapel Hill for their next game against the North Carolina Tar Heels at 12:30 p.m. on Sunday.

Tej Joshi

Photo Gallery: UM v. Virginia Tech | Saturday, November 17, 2018 … Click to Continue » ...

The Miami Hurricanes found new life Saturday — despite so much seemingly going wrong. Big plays on o ...

At least in terms of their bowl situation, the Miami Hurricanes can take a deep, collective breath. ...

Thoughts, notes, reaction and postscripts after UM’s 38-14 win on Saturday at Virginia Tech, making ...

There wasn’t much energy in the Watsco Center stands on Saturday afternoon as most University of Mia ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

The Canes got back to their winning ways with an impressive 38-14 victory at Virginia Tech. ...

20-point performances from Chris Lykes and DJ Vasiljevic led Miami past Bethune-Cookman. ...

Seniors Kolby Bird and Haley Templeton will play in their final match at the James L. Knight Sports ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team is headed to Iowa State for the Preseason WNIT champio ...

The Canes hit the road for the final time in the 2018 regular season and it is to a familiar and hos ...