Campus Life, Construction, News, Video

Pool re-opening party offers live music, food

The University Center Pool’s reopening was celebrated today as students congregated on the Lakeside Patio for burgers and live music.

Composed of UM alumni, the band Talay energized the crowd of students in front of the newly opened pool deck. After having been closed for construction the entire fall semester, the pool’s opening had many students bubbling with excitement.

“I’m super excited. I swam all throughout high school and I can’t wait to start swimming again,” said Josh Sussman, a freshman studying biomedical engineering. “Honestly it brings the campus to a whole new level.”

Shreya Chidarala // Staff Photographer

Sebastian the Ibis lounges in an inflatable ring at the pool re-opening party Thursday afternoon. Shreya Chidarala // Staff Photographer

Other freshmen weighed in on the pool’s reopening. Another first year biomedical engineering student, Ben Smith, expressed his enthusiasm.

“I’m a competitive swimmer, so [last semester]we lost our pool hours for club sports,” Smith said. “I’m really excited that the pool is open, I’ve already used it four or five times.”

“The pool’s beautiful, I love it,” said freshman Cathy Garrito. “I’m going to do swimming club next semester so that should be fun. I’m totally going to jump off the high dive.”

The outdoor pool is now open and available to all students. During the week the pool is open from 11:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m., and 12:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. on weekends.

David Ufberg

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Monday: ▪ If you ever wondered what the Hurricanes would look like if ...

Demetrius Jackson has come through again for his Overtown neighborhood. For the second year in a row ...

Days after praising Mark Richt, Clemson grad transfer quarterback Kelly Bryant has canceled his Frid ...

Mark Richt kept his word. On Thursday, two days before the Miami Hurricanes defeated Virginia Tech 3 ...

The season is evaporating before our eyes. And nothing made that more obvious than University of Mia ...

Erin Kobetz, director of Sylvester Comprehensive Cancer Center’s Firefighter Cancer Initiative, disc ...

Kristiana Yao, who graduated summa cum laude in May, said she was “still in shock” after finding out ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

The Canes got back to their winning ways with an impressive 38-14 victory at Virginia Tech. ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team dropped a 75-52 decision Sunday at Iowa State in the P ...

20-point performances from Chris Lykes and DJ Vasiljevic led Miami past Bethune-Cookman. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team forced No. 10 Pitt to five sets in a thrilling match on Seni ...

University of Miami head golf coach Patti Rizzo announced Thursday the signing of three golfers to N ...