‘No Stray Bullets’ campaign raises much-needed awareness

On Jan. 1, 2010, a six-year-old Italian tourist and his parents were dining at a restaurant in Midtown. Shortly after midnight, the boy was struck in the chest by a falling bullet that was shot in the air by an unidentified person. On Jan. 1, 2013, a man and his family celebrated New Year’s Eve just outside his home with fireworks. Moments after midnight, he was hit in the upper left shoulder by a stray bullet.

These are the alarming incidents that community leaders and police departments in Miami wish to eradicate as part of a larger campaign that warrants attention, not only in South Florida but across the nation. The issue of celebratory gunfire is one that could quickly turn someone’s New Year’s Eve into a day of mourning due to negligent gun owners.

While discussions about firearms and gun legislation have simmered into a hot political debate in the United States, the subject of celebratory gunfire has always been, for the most part, detached from the larger issue for several key reasons. For one, in many states, including Florida, celebratory gunfire is already illegal and is considered a first-degree misdemeanor. Nevertheless, these incidents, most of them committed without the intention to kill, are ceaseless and sometimes tragic.

On Dec. 29, 2015, police departments and community leaders of Miami joined forces for the 17th annual “No More Stray Bullets” campaign, which regains momentum on a yearly basis to speak out against the practice of firing bullets into the air to celebrate the New Year.

Needless to say, it seems like common sense to avoid this practice, yet celebratory gunfire still hurts individuals around the country. To prevent stunts like these, gun owners who recklessly engage in celebratory gunfire must be educated about how their actions could have drastic legal and safety-related consequences. This can be accomplished by raising awareness for the “No More Stray Bullets” campaign, especially during celebratory periods such as New Year’s Eve when such incidents are commonplace.

“There is no place for shooting a gun to celebrate,” Miami Police Chief Rodolfo Llanes said during December’s press conference. “Guns are used for hunting and other purposes for protection, not to celebrate.”

These are the words that need to resonate with local communities for the sake of innocent civilians. Those who treasure their Second Amendment rights should not abuse them. Despite the fact that the 2016 New Year celebrations have come to a close, there will likely be other similar incidents to come. The “No More Stray Bullets” is a worthy initiative that should be taken seriously and one that is likely to prevent more tragedies through the dissemination of an imperative, life-saving message.

Israel Aragon is a freshman majoring in neuroscience. 

Featured photo courtesy of Pixabay user Brett_Hondow

Israel Aragon Bravo

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Monday night: ▪ FIU has decided that its Nov. 23 football game agains ...

Dewan Hernandez hit another NCAA roadblock on Monday, but the University of Miami forward will take ...

Jeff Thomas will be joining the Illinois Fighting Illini after all. After a few days of discussion a ...

While the University of Miami awaits what quarterback it will get Feb. 6 on National Signing Day, ne ...

It appears the University of Miami football program has found its answer to intelligent, energetic, ...

Grantees aim to eliminate opportunity gaps and biases in different realms and improve brain injury t ...

The film launches the 2019 film series for the UM Libraries Cuban Heritage Collection. ...

Here’s a go-to list of dates you should keep an eye on throughout the semester, along with some tidb ...

For more than 77 years, UM Hillel has provided a vibrant and diverse “home-away-from-home” that is f ...

University of Miami experts weigh in on the largest increase in carbon emissions in eight years. ...

The University of Miami football program has hired Dan Enos as its offensive coordinator and quarter ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team wrapped up play on its first weekend of competition Sunday ...

University of Miami Athletics announced Monday that it will host its fifth annual Celebration of Wom ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team wrapped up play at the Miami Spring Invite Sunday, wi ...

Chris Lykes scored 25 points as Miami got past Wake Forest. ...