News, Senate Recap, Student Government

Senate Recap: UM mobile app, library rules revised, hoverboards banned indoors

University of Miami Application

The University of Miami Information Technology department and communications department are revamping the university’s mobile application to update the software and increase user functionality and interactivity.

Numerous programs within the application are outdated. For example, the Coral Gables campus map currently does not have the Shalala Student Center (SCC) on it; the Hurry ‘Cane shuttle schedule has inaccurate timing info and the course lists miss many classes and have out-of-date course numbers. The application was created and last updated for the iPhone 4. Newer phone models show a smaller version of the application that does not fit current screen sizes. Also, it is impossible to utilize  the application without data usage or Wi-Fi.

Student Government Senate discussed ideas for improving the application at Wednesday’s meeting. Feedback will go through campus liaisons, who will later bring it to the respective departments.

New Library Rule

The library’s three-strike rule has been replaced with a new five-pass rule, allowing students to enter the library five times without their Cane Card before repercussions are enforced. The Campus Liaison Council helped to rectify the rule as they felt that the three-strike rule would deter students from attending the library and the word “strike” sounded too strong.

Hoverboards

Hoverboards are not permitted inside any university building according to Brandon Gross, the associate director of the SCC, who cited safety concerns as the reason.

Gross said that Nicholas Children Hospital have reported treating 54 people involved in hoverboard accidents. Forty-two of them have been for fractures.

Notes

• Free Metrorail passes to the Miller Medical School campus will be given out in February after the add-drop period to students who attend classes there for credits.

• The first 500 students who go to the women’s basketball game against Florida State University (FSU) on Jan. 24 will be able to enter the men’s basketball game against Duke University 30 minutes early on Jan. 25.

• Feb. 1 is the last day to file for candidacy for a Senate or Executive position in Student Government.

Marcus Lim

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Who were UM’s standouts this spring, heading into Sa ...

As the Miami Hurricanes have spent the spring trying to find answers to question after question on o ...

Navaughn Donaldson knew one thing mattered above all when he was forced to start playing center ahea ...

This spring hasn’t been easy for Miami redshirt sophomore Tate Martell, the former Ohio State quarte ...

The 2019-20 college basketball season is more than six months away, but the University of Miami Hurr ...

The Division of Student Affairs hosted a reception to present campus-wide awards and scholarships to ...

The University of Miami celebrates Earth Day with a host of activities at or near the Lakeside Patio ...

The nation’s oldest and most-widely known academic honor society inducted 45 students from the Colle ...

For the second installment of its “What Matters to U” lecture series, Student Government invited act ...

There is at least one member of House Hurricane in the Seven Kingdoms: alumnus David Nutter, who sha ...

Following a 4-1 victory over No. 13-seed Virginia Tech Thursday in its ACC Championship opener, the ...

The fifth-seeded Miami women's tennis team started ACC Championship competition with a 4-1 vict ...

The Hurricanes will battle fourth-seed NC State in the quarterfinals Friday at 9 a.m. ...

The Canes made a late charge, but fell short at No. 8 Louisville 7-5 ...

Because of expected inclement weather, Thursday's game time has been moved up one hour to 5 p.m ...