News, Senate Recap, Student Government

Senate Recap: UM mobile app, library rules revised, hoverboards banned indoors

University of Miami Application

The University of Miami Information Technology department and communications department are revamping the university’s mobile application to update the software and increase user functionality and interactivity.

Numerous programs within the application are outdated. For example, the Coral Gables campus map currently does not have the Shalala Student Center (SCC) on it; the Hurry ‘Cane shuttle schedule has inaccurate timing info and the course lists miss many classes and have out-of-date course numbers. The application was created and last updated for the iPhone 4. Newer phone models show a smaller version of the application that does not fit current screen sizes. Also, it is impossible to utilize  the application without data usage or Wi-Fi.

Student Government Senate discussed ideas for improving the application at Wednesday’s meeting. Feedback will go through campus liaisons, who will later bring it to the respective departments.

New Library Rule

The library’s three-strike rule has been replaced with a new five-pass rule, allowing students to enter the library five times without their Cane Card before repercussions are enforced. The Campus Liaison Council helped to rectify the rule as they felt that the three-strike rule would deter students from attending the library and the word “strike” sounded too strong.

Hoverboards

Hoverboards are not permitted inside any university building according to Brandon Gross, the associate director of the SCC, who cited safety concerns as the reason.

Gross said that Nicholas Children Hospital have reported treating 54 people involved in hoverboard accidents. Forty-two of them have been for fractures.

Notes

• Free Metrorail passes to the Miller Medical School campus will be given out in February after the add-drop period to students who attend classes there for credits.

• The first 500 students who go to the women’s basketball game against Florida State University (FSU) on Jan. 24 will be able to enter the men’s basketball game against Duke University 30 minutes early on Jan. 25.

• Feb. 1 is the last day to file for candidacy for a Senate or Executive position in Student Government.

Marcus Lim

The Miami Hurricanes found new life Saturday — despite so much seemingly going wrong. Big plays on o ...

At least in terms of their bowl situation, the Miami Hurricanes can take a deep, collective breath. ...

Thoughts, notes, reaction and postscripts after UM’s 38-14 win on Saturday at Virginia Tech, making ...

There wasn’t much energy in the Watsco Center stands on Saturday afternoon as most University of Mia ...

View photos from the Bethune-Cookman wildcats at Miami Hurricanes in a NCAA college basketball game ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

The Canes got back to their winning ways with an impressive 38-14 victory at Virginia Tech. ...

20-point performances from Chris Lykes and DJ Vasiljevic led Miami past Bethune-Cookman. ...

Seniors Kolby Bird and Haley Templeton will play in their final match at the James L. Knight Sports ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team is headed to Iowa State for the Preseason WNIT champio ...

The Canes hit the road for the final time in the 2018 regular season and it is to a familiar and hos ...