Basketball, Sports

Hurricanes women’s basketball excels at midway point

Redshirt senior guard Michelle Woods (10) defends a River Hawk player during the December game against UMass Lowell in the BankUnited Center. The Hurricanes women’s basketball team started 10-0 and are currently ranked No. 21 in the country. Shreya Chidarala // Assistant Photo Editor

As the college basketball season reaches its midway point, the Hurricanes have already torched preseason predictions. Coming into the season, the Canes (15-2, 3-1) were projected to finish sixth in the ACC and received just one vote in the AP poll. Today, the No. 21 Hurricanes are the third-highest-ranked team in the ACC, behind No. 3 Notre Dame and No. 16 Florida State.

The Canes began the season winning their first 10 games, just two shy of matching the school record set by the 2003 team. The team’s first loss came at the hands of then-No. 4 Baylor in a tightly contested game.

The team’s early success could be attributed to a relatively easy strength of schedule. The Canes’ Rating Percentage Index (RPI) rank stands at 40, significantly lower than their AP poll ranking. RPI is a ranking system that takes into account a team’s wins, losses and strength of schedule. Miami’s matchup versus Baylor is the only time they have faced a ranked opponent this season. The Canes have barely touched the tip of the iceberg in the powerful ACC and have only played four games in a conference that boasts five ranked teams.

Naismith Trophy Early Season Watch List selection Adrienne Motley leads the team. The junior guard is the team’s most aggressive and consistent scorer, averaging 15.9 points per game. Junior Jessica Thomas and redshirt senior Michelle Woods, both returning starters from last year’s NCAA Tournament team, accompany Motley in the backcourt. Thomas has done a solid job running the point, totaling 62 assists on the season. She is also a pit bull on defense, forcing opposing backcourts into committing turnovers.

Freshman Emese Hof took over the starting center position from sophomore Erykah Davenport 11 games into the season. Since then, Hof has done well controlling the paint, averaging 6.4 rebounds a game.

The Canes have had a strong season to this point and Head Coach Kate Meier’s squad should be able to make some noise in the NCAA Tournament for the second consecutive year.

The Canes next face Wake Forest at 7 p.m. on Thursday at the BankUnited Center.

Tej Joshi

Boston College star Ky Bowman came down with a 102-degree fever on Saturday night. Jordan Chatman an ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Sunday: ▪ New UM defensive coordinator Blake Baker has asked UM ...

Emese Hof and No. 20 Miami think they can play with anyone, and it shows. Hof scored 18 of her 25 po ...

New University of Miami baseball head coach Gino DiMare wanted to start strong. He got perfection. T ...

Former University of Miami star running back Mark Walton was arrested late Friday on a charge of mis ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team stormed back from a 14-point deficit to pick up the bi ...

Brian Van Belle struck out five over six shutout innings to help the Canes sweep Rutgers on opening ...

The Hurricanes dropped a tight contest with the Eagles in Chestnut Hill, 64-57. ...

The sophomore first baseman slugged his second homer of the weekend to lead the Canes to a series wi ...

Junior Renate Grimstad led the way for Miami and is tied for 18th at one-over-par, while sophomore K ...