Community, Environment, International, News, Video

Haiti Remembrance Ceremony honors victims of 2010 earthquake

Felicia Knaul challenged students to apply Haiti’s example of resilience during the 2010 earthquake to the university community and beyond at the Haiti Remembrance Ceremony on Tuesday at the Lakeside Patio Stage.

Knaul, director of the University of Miami’s Miami Institute for the Americas, was invited to speak by Planet Kreyol, a Haitian student organization, before a moment of silence was held at 4:53 p.m. – exactly six years after the 7.0 earthquake occurred that killed over 200,000. Knaul called the acts following the earthquake “world class and [an]extraordinary demonstration of what is resilience.”

“Reliance is what we can apply to fight and respond to the earthquakes that happen every single day [and]poverty that happens in Haiti and in other places,” Knaul said.

Knaul even tied in causal factors that generated the earthquake and will generate other earthquakes in our hemisphere – a topic she and her husband, University of Miami President Julio Frenk, are passionate about.

She went on to challenge attendees to think about what can be done in the community and beyond to change how much natural and human-made disasters shake the world during the moment of silence in remembrance.

Students bow their heads in a moment of silence during Wednesday’s Haiti earthquake remembrance ceremony at the Lakeside Patio. Planet Kreyol hosted the event to honor the victims of the earthquake that struck Haiti in 2010. Alisha Kabir // Staff Photographer

Miami has one of the largest Haitian populations in the nation, which is why, according to Planet Kreyol Vice President and senior Freddy Michaud, the organization felt that it was appropriate to commemorate and honor the Haitian community six years after the tragedy.

“Haitian-American people have had an impact on the people in Haiti,” Michaud said. “The work that we do here directly influences them and we want to make sure that we keep this moment in remembrance of them and show that work still needs to be done.”

Although many negative things happened following the disaster, External Vice President senior Robenson Beralus said that he believes that the most positive aspect to come out of the tragedy is that the Obama administration allowed for Haitian migrants to obtain legal documents including driver’s licenses and work permits, something that greatly helped Haitians looking for a better life.

For Beralus, Jan. 12, 2010 is a day he will always remember. He was sitting at home with his uncle “just hanging out” when the earthquake occurred and they received a phone call that his uncle’s wife had died.

“It was the first time I ever saw my uncle cry,” Beralus said.

Beralus’s story is just one of thousands, according to Secretary for Planet Kreyol senior Emmanuella Jean-Jacques, which is why it is so important to remember the earthquake each year.

“We are Haitians,” said Jean-Jacques. “It’s a way for us to come together and be there for each other on a day like today.”

Amanda Herrera

Amanda Herrera can be reached via email at aherrera@themiamihurricane.com and through Twitter at @_AmandaHerrera.

Photo Gallery: UM v. Virginia Tech | Saturday, November 17, 2018 … Click to Continue » ...

The Miami Hurricanes found new life Saturday — despite so much seemingly going wrong. Big plays on o ...

At least in terms of their bowl situation, the Miami Hurricanes can take a deep, collective breath. ...

Thoughts, notes, reaction and postscripts after UM’s 38-14 win on Saturday at Virginia Tech, making ...

There wasn’t much energy in the Watsco Center stands on Saturday afternoon as most University of Mia ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

The Canes got back to their winning ways with an impressive 38-14 victory at Virginia Tech. ...

20-point performances from Chris Lykes and DJ Vasiljevic led Miami past Bethune-Cookman. ...

Seniors Kolby Bird and Haley Templeton will play in their final match at the James L. Knight Sports ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team is headed to Iowa State for the Preseason WNIT champio ...

The Canes hit the road for the final time in the 2018 regular season and it is to a familiar and hos ...