Community, Environment, International, News, Video

Haiti Remembrance Ceremony honors victims of 2010 earthquake

Felicia Knaul challenged students to apply Haiti’s example of resilience during the 2010 earthquake to the university community and beyond at the Haiti Remembrance Ceremony on Tuesday at the Lakeside Patio Stage.

Knaul, director of the University of Miami’s Miami Institute for the Americas, was invited to speak by Planet Kreyol, a Haitian student organization, before a moment of silence was held at 4:53 p.m. – exactly six years after the 7.0 earthquake occurred that killed over 200,000. Knaul called the acts following the earthquake “world class and [an]extraordinary demonstration of what is resilience.”

“Reliance is what we can apply to fight and respond to the earthquakes that happen every single day [and]poverty that happens in Haiti and in other places,” Knaul said.

Knaul even tied in causal factors that generated the earthquake and will generate other earthquakes in our hemisphere – a topic she and her husband, University of Miami President Julio Frenk, are passionate about.

She went on to challenge attendees to think about what can be done in the community and beyond to change how much natural and human-made disasters shake the world during the moment of silence in remembrance.

Students bow their heads in a moment of silence during Wednesday’s Haiti earthquake remembrance ceremony at the Lakeside Patio. Planet Kreyol hosted the event to honor the victims of the earthquake that struck Haiti in 2010. Alisha Kabir // Staff Photographer

Miami has one of the largest Haitian populations in the nation, which is why, according to Planet Kreyol Vice President and senior Freddy Michaud, the organization felt that it was appropriate to commemorate and honor the Haitian community six years after the tragedy.

“Haitian-American people have had an impact on the people in Haiti,” Michaud said. “The work that we do here directly influences them and we want to make sure that we keep this moment in remembrance of them and show that work still needs to be done.”

Although many negative things happened following the disaster, External Vice President senior Robenson Beralus said that he believes that the most positive aspect to come out of the tragedy is that the Obama administration allowed for Haitian migrants to obtain legal documents including driver’s licenses and work permits, something that greatly helped Haitians looking for a better life.

For Beralus, Jan. 12, 2010 is a day he will always remember. He was sitting at home with his uncle “just hanging out” when the earthquake occurred and they received a phone call that his uncle’s wife had died.

“It was the first time I ever saw my uncle cry,” Beralus said.

Beralus’s story is just one of thousands, according to Secretary for Planet Kreyol senior Emmanuella Jean-Jacques, which is why it is so important to remember the earthquake each year.

“We are Haitians,” said Jean-Jacques. “It’s a way for us to come together and be there for each other on a day like today.”

Amanda Herrera

Amanda Herrera can be reached via email at aherrera@themiamihurricane.com and through Twitter at @_AmandaHerrera.

June is a huge recruiting month for the Miami Hurricanes. It concludes with Paradise Camp on June 22 ...

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Frank Garis first watched Jalen Rivers from the opposite sideline, and the offensive lineman was imp ...

George Stewart had a big problem, and little time to solve it. It was Week 6 of the 2018 season, and ...

One of the interesting subplots of this Hurricanes season will be watching the evolution of a bunch ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

Nursing researchers and music therapists test a simple and cost-effective way of motivating critical ...

The University of Miami Libraries offer readers multiple ways to access the books, which are popular ...

Rosenstiel School researcher Martin Grosell weighs in on how marine life in the Gulf could be affect ...

Varona, an attorney and educator who specializes in administrative law, communications and media law ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...

Two-time Miami women's basketball team co-captain Laura Cornelius is set to start her professio ...

Courtney spent nine years previously on Jim Larranaga's staff from 1996-2005. ...

The University of Miami track and field program received 17 All-America honors at the conclusion of ...