Football, Sports

Gus Felder hired to head strength and conditioning program, replaces Andreu Swasey

After spending the last two seasons heading up the strength and conditioning program under Mark Richt at the University of Georgia, Gus Felder is now the Director of Strength and Conditioning for the Hurricanes.

John Thomas and Kelin Jonhson are also following Felder from Georgia to join Miami’s strength and conditioning program. Thomas will take the position of associate strength and conditioning coach and Johnson will move into the role of assistant director of strength and conditioning.

Felder, a Philadelphia native, was a standout player at Penn State, where he was named All Big Ten in 2001 and 2002. He had a short stint in the NFL with the Cleveland Browns before beginning his coaching career.

Richt thought highly of Felder when he first hired him. “Gus has a tremendous background in football and strength and conditioning specially,” Richt said.

Felder is replacing former Strength and Conditioning Coach Andreu Swasey, who had been a part of the Canes’ coaching staff since 2000. He was not only in charge of the daily workout regimen for the football program, but he also oversaw the workout needs of all 18 of Miami’s scholarship sports.

“Coach Richt wanted to bring in his own guy, which is understandable,” Swasey said to the Miami Herald.

Swasey had been with Canes though several coaching administrations, but his most important contributions came in the beginning of the Al Golden era. When Golden took over ahead of the 2011 season, Swasey implemented several programs including “The Fifth Quarter” and “Creative Excellence.”

“If it wasn’t for Swasey, our teams would have been way worse than they’ve been the past few years,” former Hurricane receiver Santana Moss said to the Miami Herald.

Swasey was well known for having former Hurricanes in the NFL return to campus and train with him.

“Everything he did, he did for the University of Miami. We came back for Swasey,” another former Hurricane receiver, Sinorice Moss, said to the Miami Herald.

Tej Joshi

Fredrick Eaford was quick to make it clear the Miami Hurricanes were his dream team to commit to. Af ...

Linebacker might be the most important position for the Miami Hurricanes to recruit in the Class of ...

Issiah Walker Jr. won’t be at Paradise Camp on Saturday. Instead of attending the Miami Hurricanes’ ...

June is a huge recruiting month for the Miami Hurricanes. It concludes with Paradise Camp on June 22 ...

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Evo Morales, first elected president of Bolivia in 2005, and could win an unprecedented fourth term ...

The University of Miami Black Alumni Society is hosting a number of Juneteenth events around the cou ...

The University of Miami Rosenstiel School’s Rescue a Reef program teams up with the NFL and others t ...

The Frost Chopin Festival and Academy at the University of Miami provides unparalleled experiences f ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

The Miami women's basketball team will face Indiana at the Watsco Center in the 2019 Big Ten/AC ...

The University of Miami volleyball program is set to host the Hurricane Invitational and nine ACC ho ...

Games will be contested July 3-14 in Naples, Italy. ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...