Football, Sports

Gus Felder hired to head strength and conditioning program, replaces Andreu Swasey

After spending the last two seasons heading up the strength and conditioning program under Mark Richt at the University of Georgia, Gus Felder is now the Director of Strength and Conditioning for the Hurricanes.

John Thomas and Kelin Jonhson are also following Felder from Georgia to join Miami’s strength and conditioning program. Thomas will take the position of associate strength and conditioning coach and Johnson will move into the role of assistant director of strength and conditioning.

Felder, a Philadelphia native, was a standout player at Penn State, where he was named All Big Ten in 2001 and 2002. He had a short stint in the NFL with the Cleveland Browns before beginning his coaching career.

Richt thought highly of Felder when he first hired him. “Gus has a tremendous background in football and strength and conditioning specially,” Richt said.

Felder is replacing former Strength and Conditioning Coach Andreu Swasey, who had been a part of the Canes’ coaching staff since 2000. He was not only in charge of the daily workout regimen for the football program, but he also oversaw the workout needs of all 18 of Miami’s scholarship sports.

“Coach Richt wanted to bring in his own guy, which is understandable,” Swasey said to the Miami Herald.

Swasey had been with Canes though several coaching administrations, but his most important contributions came in the beginning of the Al Golden era. When Golden took over ahead of the 2011 season, Swasey implemented several programs including “The Fifth Quarter” and “Creative Excellence.”

“If it wasn’t for Swasey, our teams would have been way worse than they’ve been the past few years,” former Hurricane receiver Santana Moss said to the Miami Herald.

Swasey was well known for having former Hurricanes in the NFL return to campus and train with him.

“Everything he did, he did for the University of Miami. We came back for Swasey,” another former Hurricane receiver, Sinorice Moss, said to the Miami Herald.

Tej Joshi

UM was very fortunate that junior linebackers Shaquille Quarterman, Mike Pinckney and Zach McCloud a ...

Hard Rock Stadium will be filled with Miami fans — and probably only Miami fans — when the two colle ...

They made school history on Sunday with a nationally-televised road upset of No. 2 Louisville, and o ...

Mark Walton, the former University of Miami star football player and current Cincinnati Bengal, was ...

Don Chaney Jr. says his recruitment is over and the way he talks about the Miami Hurricanes, it’s ea ...

Researcher Rebecca Bulotsky Shearer is leading a study aimed at increasing the number of kids who ar ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team stormed back from a 14-point deficit to pick up the bi ...

Hours after garnering espnW National Player of the Week distinction, Emese Hof of the Miami women ...

For the second straight Monday, a member of the Miami women's basketball team has earned a nati ...

Brian Van Belle struck out five over six shutout innings to help the Canes sweep Rutgers on opening ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami golf team moved up two spots on Monday's leaderboard at t ...