Holiday events to visit for study breaks, outings with friends

Winter break is just around the corner, and most of us are hustling between exams, essays, work and events. However, there’s always time to get in the holiday spirit. While there’s no snow or hot chocolate by the fireplace in sunny South Florida, there’s still plenty of events to attend as a break from exams and to celebrate the end of the year with some friends before everyone heads home.

Santa’s Enchanted Forest

You’re never too old for a fun evening at the fair. Considering that the event at Tropical Park displays a beautiful show of millions of dazzling lights, festive Christmas music, rides and delicious foods from around the world – including hot chocolate and candy canes galore – it’s a pretty good deal for Miami. Santa’s Enchanted Forest also has South Florida’s tallest and biggest Christmas tree, something rare in palm tree land. The forest is open daily from 5 p.m. to midnight until Jan. 3.

Tropical Park is located at 7900 SW 40th St. in Miami.

La Feria del Mercado de San Miguel Holiday Market

Miami gets a tiny taste of a classic market tradition with La Feria del Mercado de San Miguel downtown. The market, open from noon to 9 p.m. through Jan. 6, features pop-up restaurants, booths with an array of gift items like jewelry, art and artisanal baked goods. This year, Bayfront Park’s famous Christmas tree will also be moved to La Feria.

La Feria is located at 301 Biscayne Blvd. in Downtown Miami.

The Nutcracker

There are no rides or hot chocolate at this event, but plenty of holiday tunes in the performance. The Nutcracker by Miami City Ballet is the perfect way to relax and set the mood for the holiday break. Only in Miami from Dec. 17 to Dec. 24, the show includes Tchaikovsky songs, great performances and there’s even a rumor it’ll have magical snowfall. Who knows? It’s Miami, anything can happen.

The Ziff Ballet Opera House is located at 1300 Biscayne Blvd. in Miami.

John Waters Holiday Comedy Show

Putting a spin on the holiday cheer is famous cult filmmaker John Waters’s comedy show, which is sure to catch a good laugh. A John Waters Christmas: Holier and Dirtier features a mix of his bizarre sense of humor while examining holiday rituals, traditions and Waters’s fascination with Santa Claus in a mischievous monologue. The show, held at 8 p.m. on Dec. 14 will surely make you laugh, but be warned, it might get a little wild.

The Adrienne Arsht Center is located at 1300 Biscayne Blvd. in Miami.

Christmas Near the Beach

There’s no other way of celebrating the holidays in Miami than next to the ocean. It’s your time to celebrate the holidays Florida-style at the Arts Park at Young Circle in Hollywood. A special showcase of Santa’s shack by the beach, instead of his typical cabin in the North Pole, makes for a great photo opportunity and probably a good laugh too. The event will feature ballet, flash mobs, musical productions, vendors and even a classic car show. The celebration is free and will take place Dec. 12 from 4 p.m. to 9 p.m.

Young Circle Park is located at 1 N. Young Cir. in Hollywood.

Feature photo courtesy Pixabay user Stevebidmead

Correction, Dec. 16, 2015: This article originally stated that “The Nutcracker” would include “Tchaikovsky songs played by a live orchestra,” which was incorrect. The show will involve Tchaikovsky songs, but not by a live orchestra.

Donatella Vacca

Boston College star Ky Bowman came down with a 102-degree fever on Saturday night. Jordan Chatman an ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Sunday: ▪ New UM defensive coordinator Blake Baker has asked UM ...

Emese Hof and No. 20 Miami think they can play with anyone, and it shows. Hof scored 18 of her 25 po ...

New University of Miami baseball head coach Gino DiMare wanted to start strong. He got perfection. T ...

Former University of Miami star running back Mark Walton was arrested late Friday on a charge of mis ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team stormed back from a 14-point deficit to pick up the bi ...

Brian Van Belle struck out five over six shutout innings to help the Canes sweep Rutgers on opening ...

The Hurricanes dropped a tight contest with the Eagles in Chestnut Hill, 64-57. ...

The sophomore first baseman slugged his second homer of the weekend to lead the Canes to a series wi ...

Junior Renate Grimstad led the way for Miami and is tied for 18th at one-over-par, while sophomore K ...