Holiday events to visit for study breaks, outings with friends

Winter break is just around the corner, and most of us are hustling between exams, essays, work and events. However, there’s always time to get in the holiday spirit. While there’s no snow or hot chocolate by the fireplace in sunny South Florida, there’s still plenty of events to attend as a break from exams and to celebrate the end of the year with some friends before everyone heads home.

Santa’s Enchanted Forest

You’re never too old for a fun evening at the fair. Considering that the event at Tropical Park displays a beautiful show of millions of dazzling lights, festive Christmas music, rides and delicious foods from around the world – including hot chocolate and candy canes galore – it’s a pretty good deal for Miami. Santa’s Enchanted Forest also has South Florida’s tallest and biggest Christmas tree, something rare in palm tree land. The forest is open daily from 5 p.m. to midnight until Jan. 3.

Tropical Park is located at 7900 SW 40th St. in Miami.

La Feria del Mercado de San Miguel Holiday Market

Miami gets a tiny taste of a classic market tradition with La Feria del Mercado de San Miguel downtown. The market, open from noon to 9 p.m. through Jan. 6, features pop-up restaurants, booths with an array of gift items like jewelry, art and artisanal baked goods. This year, Bayfront Park’s famous Christmas tree will also be moved to La Feria.

La Feria is located at 301 Biscayne Blvd. in Downtown Miami.

The Nutcracker

There are no rides or hot chocolate at this event, but plenty of holiday tunes in the performance. The Nutcracker by Miami City Ballet is the perfect way to relax and set the mood for the holiday break. Only in Miami from Dec. 17 to Dec. 24, the show includes Tchaikovsky songs, great performances and there’s even a rumor it’ll have magical snowfall. Who knows? It’s Miami, anything can happen.

The Ziff Ballet Opera House is located at 1300 Biscayne Blvd. in Miami.

John Waters Holiday Comedy Show

Putting a spin on the holiday cheer is famous cult filmmaker John Waters’s comedy show, which is sure to catch a good laugh. A John Waters Christmas: Holier and Dirtier features a mix of his bizarre sense of humor while examining holiday rituals, traditions and Waters’s fascination with Santa Claus in a mischievous monologue. The show, held at 8 p.m. on Dec. 14 will surely make you laugh, but be warned, it might get a little wild.

The Adrienne Arsht Center is located at 1300 Biscayne Blvd. in Miami.

Christmas Near the Beach

There’s no other way of celebrating the holidays in Miami than next to the ocean. It’s your time to celebrate the holidays Florida-style at the Arts Park at Young Circle in Hollywood. A special showcase of Santa’s shack by the beach, instead of his typical cabin in the North Pole, makes for a great photo opportunity and probably a good laugh too. The event will feature ballet, flash mobs, musical productions, vendors and even a classic car show. The celebration is free and will take place Dec. 12 from 4 p.m. to 9 p.m.

Young Circle Park is located at 1 N. Young Cir. in Hollywood.

Feature photo courtesy Pixabay user Stevebidmead

Correction, Dec. 16, 2015: This article originally stated that “The Nutcracker” would include “Tchaikovsky songs played by a live orchestra,” which was incorrect. The show will involve Tchaikovsky songs, but not by a live orchestra.

Donatella Vacca

The land of palm trees, beaches and mojitos gave way to the land of the Liberty Bell, cheesesteaks a ...

The University of Miami on Thursday launched a national search as it begins the difficult task of re ...

It would be hard to blame Avery Huff for rethinking his commitment to the Miami Hurricanes right now ...

The losses keep coming for Miami Hurricanes football and Mark Richt. And this feels like the biggest ...

The University of Miami is losing the architect of one of the nation’s best defenses. UM defensive c ...

Commencement speakers share gems of insight and wisdom as more than 1,000 UM students graduate in tw ...

During a news conference Wednesday, a UM medical team talked about the clinical findings after exami ...

Your one-stop shop for University of Miami fall commencement information. ...

The University of Miami will welcome more than 1,000 new graduates into the UM alumni family during ...

A UM medical team has released the first report of acute symptoms and clinical findings in 25 person ...

Fall graduation ceremonies held Thursday at Watsco Center. ...

The Miami women's basketball team ascended one position in each of the major national polls thi ...

Gerald Willis III added to his postseason awards list, picking up second-team All-America honors fro ...

Following its longest break of the season thus far, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team ...

Miami head women's tennis coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews announced Friday the signing of two players ...