Holiday events to visit for study breaks, outings with friends

Winter break is just around the corner, and most of us are hustling between exams, essays, work and events. However, there’s always time to get in the holiday spirit. While there’s no snow or hot chocolate by the fireplace in sunny South Florida, there’s still plenty of events to attend as a break from exams and to celebrate the end of the year with some friends before everyone heads home.

Santa’s Enchanted Forest

You’re never too old for a fun evening at the fair. Considering that the event at Tropical Park displays a beautiful show of millions of dazzling lights, festive Christmas music, rides and delicious foods from around the world – including hot chocolate and candy canes galore – it’s a pretty good deal for Miami. Santa’s Enchanted Forest also has South Florida’s tallest and biggest Christmas tree, something rare in palm tree land. The forest is open daily from 5 p.m. to midnight until Jan. 3.

Tropical Park is located at 7900 SW 40th St. in Miami.

La Feria del Mercado de San Miguel Holiday Market

Miami gets a tiny taste of a classic market tradition with La Feria del Mercado de San Miguel downtown. The market, open from noon to 9 p.m. through Jan. 6, features pop-up restaurants, booths with an array of gift items like jewelry, art and artisanal baked goods. This year, Bayfront Park’s famous Christmas tree will also be moved to La Feria.

La Feria is located at 301 Biscayne Blvd. in Downtown Miami.

The Nutcracker

There are no rides or hot chocolate at this event, but plenty of holiday tunes in the performance. The Nutcracker by Miami City Ballet is the perfect way to relax and set the mood for the holiday break. Only in Miami from Dec. 17 to Dec. 24, the show includes Tchaikovsky songs, great performances and there’s even a rumor it’ll have magical snowfall. Who knows? It’s Miami, anything can happen.

The Ziff Ballet Opera House is located at 1300 Biscayne Blvd. in Miami.

John Waters Holiday Comedy Show

Putting a spin on the holiday cheer is famous cult filmmaker John Waters’s comedy show, which is sure to catch a good laugh. A John Waters Christmas: Holier and Dirtier features a mix of his bizarre sense of humor while examining holiday rituals, traditions and Waters’s fascination with Santa Claus in a mischievous monologue. The show, held at 8 p.m. on Dec. 14 will surely make you laugh, but be warned, it might get a little wild.

The Adrienne Arsht Center is located at 1300 Biscayne Blvd. in Miami.

Christmas Near the Beach

There’s no other way of celebrating the holidays in Miami than next to the ocean. It’s your time to celebrate the holidays Florida-style at the Arts Park at Young Circle in Hollywood. A special showcase of Santa’s shack by the beach, instead of his typical cabin in the North Pole, makes for a great photo opportunity and probably a good laugh too. The event will feature ballet, flash mobs, musical productions, vendors and even a classic car show. The celebration is free and will take place Dec. 12 from 4 p.m. to 9 p.m.

Young Circle Park is located at 1 N. Young Cir. in Hollywood.

Feature photo courtesy Pixabay user Stevebidmead

Correction, Dec. 16, 2015: This article originally stated that “The Nutcracker” would include “Tchaikovsky songs played by a live orchestra,” which was incorrect. The show will involve Tchaikovsky songs, but not by a live orchestra.

Donatella Vacca

Romello Height already had a top five publicly revealed when the Miami Hurricanes finally stepped in ...

Mark Pope knows his freshman year with the Miami Hurricanes didn’t play out the way it was supposed ...

Fredrick Eaford was quick to make it clear the Miami Hurricanes were his dream team to commit to. Af ...

Linebacker might be the most important position for the Miami Hurricanes to recruit in the Class of ...

Issiah Walker Jr. won’t be at Paradise Camp on Saturday. Instead of attending the Miami Hurricanes’ ...

Evo Morales, first elected president of Bolivia in 2005, and could win an unprecedented fourth term ...

The University of Miami Black Alumni Society is hosting a number of Juneteenth events around the cou ...

The University of Miami Rosenstiel School’s Rescue a Reef program teams up with the NFL and others t ...

The Frost Chopin Festival and Academy at the University of Miami provides unparalleled experiences f ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

Jackie Lippincott, Autumn Kramer and Meredith Costello were among the 61 student-athletes named to t ...

Renate Grimstad and Kristyna Frydlova of the University of Miami women's golf team were selecte ...

The Miami women's basketball team will face Indiana at the Watsco Center in the 2019 Big Ten/AC ...

The University of Miami volleyball program is set to host the Hurricane Invitational and nine ACC ho ...

Games will be contested July 3-14 in Naples, Italy. ...