Campus Life, News

Hurricane Productions Winter Wonderland features festive, free activities

On Friday night, sophomore Nishma Jain decorates a gingerbread house with the several hundred students who attended Winter Wonderland in the Whitten University Center. Sponsored by Canes Night Live, this event had giveaways including long-sleeved shirts, holiday mugs, cookie jars, stuffed animals and breakfast food from IHOP. Shreya Chidarala // Assistant Photo Editor

On Friday night, sophomore Nishma Jain decorates a gingerbread house with several hundred students who attended Winter Wonderland in the Whitten University Center. Sponsored by Canes Night Live, this event had giveaways including long-sleeved shirts, holiday mugs, cookie jars, stuffed animals and breakfast food from IHOP.
Shreya Chidarala // Assistant Photo Editor

Hurricane Productions (HP) hosted its annual Winter Wonderland event at the Rock and in the University Center (UC) on Friday night.

Despite inclement weather that hit Miami this weekend, a line of students ran from the UC to the Donna E. Shalala Student Center. Activities included a mechanical snowboard, stilt dancers and Stuff-a-Plush. Students were also able to create their own “cookie in a jar,” decorate gingerbread houses, paint holiday ornaments and watch a screening of “How the Grinch Stole Christmas.”

Sophomore neuroscience major Sirisha Gaddipati said that she enjoyed her night even though there were no snow-making machines this year.

“I love the shirts they give out at Winter Wonderland. It’s such a fun tradition to get one every year. I was a little disappointed that there was no snow machine this year, but the screening of ‘How the Grinch Stole Christmas’ was a classy touch in lieu of the snow fun,” she said.

Students lined up for frozen coffee and plates of pancakes, eggs, bacon and hash browns. Freshman Nicole Newton attended the event for the first time and liked the idea of having breakfast for dinner at the holiday party.

“The best part of Winter Wonderland was definitely all the food. My friends and I had the IHOP breakfast for dinner, which was a really cool idea. I can’t wait to go again next year,” Newton said.

The event was a welcome distraction for many students who were preparing for the rush of final exams.

The late night programming board Canes Night Live (CNL) and the motion-picture entertainment board Cinematic Arts Commission (CAC) co-hosted the event. Both CNL and CAC are subcommittees of HP, the largest student-run organization on campus. HP provides free, on-campus entertainment for students.

Emmi Velez

The United States Postal Service features Emilio Sanchez, the first Cuban American visual artist to be recognized in a new series of Forever stamps. ...

With the first elevated concrete floor deck poured last week, the Frost Institute of Chemistry and Molecular Science is on pace to open in the summer of 2022. ...

In a new study that scrutinized the speech patterns of Freddie Mercury, Michael Phelps, and other celebrities, University of Miami researchers offer insights on how diet ultimately reshapes language. ...

The multidisciplinary forum in April will explore lessons learned from the regions. There is a call for papers to be presented, but abstracts must be submitted by Jan. 17. ...

Former executive vice president John L. Green Jr., who helped launch the University’s football dynasty with two key coaching hires, passed away this month. ...