Campus Life, News

Hurricane Productions Winter Wonderland features festive, free activities

On Friday night, sophomore Nishma Jain decorates a gingerbread house with the several hundred students who attended Winter Wonderland in the Whitten University Center. Sponsored by Canes Night Live, this event had giveaways including long-sleeved shirts, holiday mugs, cookie jars, stuffed animals and breakfast food from IHOP. Shreya Chidarala // Assistant Photo Editor

On Friday night, sophomore Nishma Jain decorates a gingerbread house with several hundred students who attended Winter Wonderland in the Whitten University Center. Sponsored by Canes Night Live, this event had giveaways including long-sleeved shirts, holiday mugs, cookie jars, stuffed animals and breakfast food from IHOP.
Shreya Chidarala // Assistant Photo Editor

Hurricane Productions (HP) hosted its annual Winter Wonderland event at the Rock and in the University Center (UC) on Friday night.

Despite inclement weather that hit Miami this weekend, a line of students ran from the UC to the Donna E. Shalala Student Center. Activities included a mechanical snowboard, stilt dancers and Stuff-a-Plush. Students were also able to create their own “cookie in a jar,” decorate gingerbread houses, paint holiday ornaments and watch a screening of “How the Grinch Stole Christmas.”

Sophomore neuroscience major Sirisha Gaddipati said that she enjoyed her night even though there were no snow-making machines this year.

“I love the shirts they give out at Winter Wonderland. It’s such a fun tradition to get one every year. I was a little disappointed that there was no snow machine this year, but the screening of ‘How the Grinch Stole Christmas’ was a classy touch in lieu of the snow fun,” she said.

Students lined up for frozen coffee and plates of pancakes, eggs, bacon and hash browns. Freshman Nicole Newton attended the event for the first time and liked the idea of having breakfast for dinner at the holiday party.

“The best part of Winter Wonderland was definitely all the food. My friends and I had the IHOP breakfast for dinner, which was a really cool idea. I can’t wait to go again next year,” Newton said.

The event was a welcome distraction for many students who were preparing for the rush of final exams.

The late night programming board Canes Night Live (CNL) and the motion-picture entertainment board Cinematic Arts Commission (CAC) co-hosted the event. Both CNL and CAC are subcommittees of HP, the largest student-run organization on campus. HP provides free, on-campus entertainment for students.

Emmi Velez

The early signing period is right around the corner and the Miami Hurricanes have plenty of work to ...

We examined where UM stands with defensive recruiting, by position, in this piece. Here’s a look at ...

Lakeland, for the most part, has always been Florida Gators country. Florida has been able to rely o ...

University of Miami defensive coordinator Manny Diaz is receiving strong consideration for the head ...

While the University of Miami has just three Class of 2019 oral commitments on offense, the Canes ha ...

UM public relations students unveiled their plans to reposition March for Our Lives to attract colle ...

The answer to that question may impact what happens to the European Union. ...

Most UM Debate Team members devote 10 to 15 hours of preparation for each tournament. ...

National Geographic connects with the University of Miami to empower the next generation of storytel ...

Following national recognition for its French production of Cinderella, the Frost Opera Theater is d ...

The Miami women's basketball team ascended one position in each of the major national polls thi ...

Gerald Willis III added to his postseason awards list, picking up second-team All-America honors fro ...

Following its longest break of the season thus far, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team ...

Miami head women's tennis coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews announced Friday the signing of two players ...

After a six-day layoff, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team will be back in action Sund ...