Campus Life, News

Hurricane Productions Winter Wonderland features festive, free activities

On Friday night, sophomore Nishma Jain decorates a gingerbread house with the several hundred students who attended Winter Wonderland in the Whitten University Center. Sponsored by Canes Night Live, this event had giveaways including long-sleeved shirts, holiday mugs, cookie jars, stuffed animals and breakfast food from IHOP. Shreya Chidarala // Assistant Photo Editor

On Friday night, sophomore Nishma Jain decorates a gingerbread house with several hundred students who attended Winter Wonderland in the Whitten University Center. Sponsored by Canes Night Live, this event had giveaways including long-sleeved shirts, holiday mugs, cookie jars, stuffed animals and breakfast food from IHOP.
Shreya Chidarala // Assistant Photo Editor

Hurricane Productions (HP) hosted its annual Winter Wonderland event at the Rock and in the University Center (UC) on Friday night.

Despite inclement weather that hit Miami this weekend, a line of students ran from the UC to the Donna E. Shalala Student Center. Activities included a mechanical snowboard, stilt dancers and Stuff-a-Plush. Students were also able to create their own “cookie in a jar,” decorate gingerbread houses, paint holiday ornaments and watch a screening of “How the Grinch Stole Christmas.”

Sophomore neuroscience major Sirisha Gaddipati said that she enjoyed her night even though there were no snow-making machines this year.

“I love the shirts they give out at Winter Wonderland. It’s such a fun tradition to get one every year. I was a little disappointed that there was no snow machine this year, but the screening of ‘How the Grinch Stole Christmas’ was a classy touch in lieu of the snow fun,” she said.

Students lined up for frozen coffee and plates of pancakes, eggs, bacon and hash browns. Freshman Nicole Newton attended the event for the first time and liked the idea of having breakfast for dinner at the holiday party.

“The best part of Winter Wonderland was definitely all the food. My friends and I had the IHOP breakfast for dinner, which was a really cool idea. I can’t wait to go again next year,” Newton said.

The event was a welcome distraction for many students who were preparing for the rush of final exams.

The late night programming board Canes Night Live (CNL) and the motion-picture entertainment board Cinematic Arts Commission (CAC) co-hosted the event. Both CNL and CAC are subcommittees of HP, the largest student-run organization on campus. HP provides free, on-campus entertainment for students.

Emmi Velez

Pro Football Focus unveiled where Power 5 programs rank in tackles for a loss or no gain against the ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

Braylen Ingraham’s final college visit before decision day took him just about as far from home as p ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

UM’s annual Food Day celebration will highlight the need to eat sustainable, locally sourced foods ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

The University of Miami women's swimming & diving team impressed in its quad-meet Friday af ...

Junior averaged 11.4 points and 6.7 rebounds per game last season. ...

University of Miami head coach Gino DiMare released the Hurricanes' 2019 baseball schedule Thur ...

A duo of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes advanced through to the Round of 16 ...

Senior Dew Weber of the University of Miami golf team continued to march towards her professional go ...