Health, News

Dr. Steven Altschuler appointed as senior vice president of health affairs, CEO of UHealth

few months ago, the new leader of the UHealth system at the University of Miami was working on a startup company. At the time, he had no plans on taking charge of an expanding professional and academic healthcare system in January, 2016.

Dr. Steven Altschuler, the new senior vice president of health affairs and CEO of UHealth at UM, was developing the gene therapy company Spark Therapeutics when he was approached about about joining UM. Spark Therapeutics is a spin-off of the Center of Cellular and Molecular Therapeutics at the Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia (CHOP), which he retired from in June. He will now be responsible for leading the school’s clinical health system, including hospitals, faculty practice and clinics. He will also report directly to President Julio Frenk.

“There’s an old saying about leading: good leaders manage the present while creating the future and selectively forgetting the past,” Dr. Altschuler said about shaping his new position. “Nothing at UHealth needs change right away.”

Dr. Altschuler’s work at CHOP included a long-term working relationship with Perelman School of Medicine at the University of Pennsylvania. He had worked with a network of 50 clinical care sites at CHOP and said that expanding UHealth’s network is increasingly important. For example, the upcoming opening of the 200,000-square-foot Lennar Foundation Medical Center on Coral Gables campus in the fall of 2016 will bring together services from the school’s existing facilities and provide urgent care and outpatient surgery, among other services. He said that healthcare networks are becoming more important because of federal healthcare policies.

“With the new Affordable Care Act, there’s a push to provide care at the right time in the right place with the right services,” Dr. Altschuler said. “You need a network of care.”

President Frenk said in the hiring announcement on Nov. 24 that he valued Dr. Altschuler’s experience in both administration and deliverance of health care.

“Steven Altschuler has a wealth of experience as a leader in both health care administration and the delivery of excellent and compassionate patient care. As senior vice president of health affairs, he will spearhead UHealth’s continued advancement as a world-class academic medical enterprise serving the Americas and beyond,” President Frenk said.

Frenk’s experience as the minister of public health in Mexico and dean of the Harvard Medical School, among other healthcare administration positions, showed Dr. Altschuler that the school was committed to improving and building on its existing healthcare network.

“I hit it off really well with President Frenk when we met … obviously he’s a leader in public health,” Dr. Altschuler said.

Dr. Altschuler is still working on finding a house in South Florida but said that he and his wife were excited about the move. They knew that if they moved again after his retirement, it would be for warmer weather. Dr. Altschuler will start in his new position on Jan. 1, 2016.

William Riggin

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Listeners to UM President Julio Frenk’s State of the U reacted positively to the message and the Uni ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Tropical storm scientists and climate experts at the University of Miami provided insight, observati ...

Joseph Ganitsky, a professor in the Miami Business School, examines the financial crisis facing Arge ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...