Campus Life, Greek Life, News, Video

Dodging Diabetes tournament raises funds for Type 1 diabetes research

Sixteen teams and 80 players participated in Delta Epsilon Psi (DEP)’s annual Dodging Diabetes fundraiser at the Herbert Wellness Center to raise money for the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation on Saturday.

The double-elimination dodgeball tournament raised almost $3,000 through registration fees and outside donations for the major non-profit charity that works to fund research on Type 1 diabetes. The turnout surpassed the two previous editions of the tournament according Ishtpreet Singh, a member and former president of the service and social fraternity.

“It was an amazing turnout, and it was really humbling to see how everyone comes together whether they’re Greek or not Greek to help support this amazing cause,” Singh said.

The winning team, Canes Hockey Obliterates Dodgeball Enemies, left with a $100 cash prize for their efforts.

DEP Vice President Param Desai was delighted with how the event turned out.

“A lot of people had fun,” he said. “Overall, it was good I would say.”

DEP is planning another philanthropy event for the upcoming semester called “Sugar Spike-Off.” Desai hopes the volleyball tournament in the spring can make a similar impact like Saturday’s Dodging Diabetes event.

Correction, Dec. 7, 12:08 p.m.: An earlier version of this article referred to Param Desai as “she.” 

David Ufberg

TCU coach Gary Patterson doesn’t like the way college football is trending when it comes to transfer ...

Oklahoma has its Oklahoma Drills. But the fired-up U has its own version of major college football p ...

Day Three of University of Miami football practice media viewing Friday inside the Carol Soffer Indo ...

Three-point defense isn’t enough of a weakness for the Miami Hurricanes to call it a full-fledged Ac ...

Shaquille Quarterman waited less than 24 hours after Michael Pinckney announced he was returning for ...

The University of Miami community gathered to remember the victims of the deadly New Zealand mosque ...

Culminating "an awesome, institution-wide effort," the Miller School of Medicine is celebr ...

Activist Claudio Rojas was featured in a documentary film, “The Infiltrators,” which is critical of ...

Associate professors William Pestle and Kathleen Sullivan Sealey traveled with students over spring ...

Muslim Students of the University of Miami will hold a prayer service at 12:45 p.m. Friday at the La ...

The fourth-seeded Miami women's basketball team opens NCAA Tournament play on its home court fo ...

University of Miami redshirt sophomore Alicia Blagg saved her best for last at the 2019 NCAA Swimmin ...

In a battle between two of the ACC's best pitchers, No. 5 NC State mustered a fifth-inning rall ...

The Hurricanes top Duke, 4-3, to improve to 6-0 in conference action. ...

The Miami track and field team concluded day one of the Power 5 Trailblazer Challenge competing in t ...