Basketball, Sports

Miami men’s basketball dominates Charlotte 49ers in 88-60 blowout

For anyone concerned Miami would look ahead of Charlotte with a matchup against Florida looming on Tuesday: the Hurricanes led by 30 at one point. In the first half.

No. 21 Miami thoroughly eviscerated the 49ers at the BankUnited Center on Saturday, winning 88-60, the team’s largest victory this season. Miami won both matchups against Charlotte last season by a combined 22 points. The Canes beat the 49ers by 28.

“I think the score just reflected how good we played on defense, and how we just came together as a team, not underestimating the other team,” redshirt junior forward Kamari Murphy said.

Head Coach Jim Larrañaga credited the team’s improved defense to drills they worked on to contest shots without fouling.

“I thought we needed a game like that from the defense standpoint. We’ve been working so hard to improve,” Larrañaga said. “We still fouled them a bit too much but we made them miss their threes. Three-for-18, 16 percent, we’ll take that any night.”

Larrañaga was also pleased with the balanced scoring attack on offense. All 12 of Miami’s players got on the court and nine of them scored. Sophomore guard Ja’Quan Newton led both teams with 14 points on 2-of-5 shooting thanks to going 9-of-10 from the free throw line.

“We didn’t have a single guy take more than eight shots. [We] had four guys in double figures,” Larrañaga said. “We shared the ball very well, 19 assists. Had a few too many turnovers but I think the pace of the game is what we wanted.”

The game lasted the regular 40 minutes, but the Canes (7-1) only needed the opening 20 to put the 49ers away. Miami went on a 26-4 run in the middle of the first half to take a 40-10 lead with 4:14 left on the clock. The Canes shot 15-of-29 from the floor in the first half compared to 7-of-35 shooting for the 49ers. Eight different Canes scored at least five points in the first 20 minutes, while senior center Joseph Uchebo was the only 49er with a made field goal until the 1:05 mark.

The Hurricanes were 5-of-7 from deep at one point, and finished the half 5-of-10 on threes while Charlotte shot 1-of-10 from behind the arc. The Canes regularly got wide open looks from behind the three-point line thanks to some savvy ball movement and poor defense by Charlotte.

Senior center Tonye Jekiri sealed off the paint when he was on the floor, allowing Miami’s other players to aggressively defend their man on the perimeter. When the 49ers did manage an open look, they usually missed. Charlotte (1-7) took advantage of freshman center Ebuka Izundu when he spelled Jekiri for one minute early on, scoring two quick layups. Izundu didn’t play the rest of the half.

Newton started the game in place of redshirt senior guard Sheldon McClellan, who missed practice on Friday with a lower extremity injury. Newton led Miami’s balanced scoring attack with eight points in 18 minutes at the half. McClellan, Miami’s leading scorer coming into Saturday’s matchup, chipped in with five points in nine minutes off the bench. Miami led 46-21 at the break.

The 49ers never got within 20 in the second half, and trailed by at least 30 most of the final 11 minutes of the game. Junior guard Davon Reed put the Canes up 36 – the largest lead of the game – on a smooth jumper from the right wing with 8:50 remaining.

The Gators await the Canes on Tuesday, but Miami made sure not to overlook Charlotte first.

“We just take each game one at a time. Charlotte was first and then Florida is next,” Newton said. “On Tuesday we’ll be ready.”

The Canes play Florida at 7 p.m. on Tuesday at the BankUnited Center.

Mark Singer

While the University of Miami has just three Class of 2019 oral commitments on offense, the Canes ha ...

Gerald Willis’ monster season has earned another piece of national recognition. On Monday, the Miami ...

It hasn’t been a great few weeks on the recruiting trail for the Miami Hurricanes with regards to of ...

A six-pack of Heat notes, leading up to Heat-Lakers on Monday night: ▪ In the days before one of his ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Friday: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt hasn’t yet given any indication to the ...

Most UM Debate Team members devote 10 to 15 hours of preparation for each tournament. ...

National Geographic connects with the University of Miami to empower the next generation of storytel ...

Following national recognition for its French production of Cinderella, the Frost Opera Theater is d ...

Several UM art students are getting real-world exposure during a highly anticipated – and attended – ...

Over the past several years, more and more students are using UM Libraries as a study place, a meeti ...

Gerald Willis III added to his postseason awards list, picking up second-team All-America honors fro ...

Following its longest break of the season thus far, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team ...

Miami head women's tennis coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews announced Friday the signing of two players ...

After a six-day layoff, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team will be back in action Sund ...

University of Miami redshirt senior defensive tackle Gerald Willis III was recognized for his outsta ...