Basketball, Sports

Miami Hurricanes soar past Coppin State Eagles in 78-59 win

With a 78-59 victory over the Coppin State Eagles at the BankUnited Center on Friday night, the Hurricanes improved to 9-0 and inched closer to matching its best start in team history. The team began the 2003 season 12-0.

Although the game was a win, it wasn’t the cleanest for the Canes. Miami committed 20 turnovers and failed to capitalize on numerous lose ball opportunities.

“Credit to Coppin State. They made us play ugly,” Head Coach Kate Meier said.

Meier also attributes the Canes’ sloppy play to fatigue and lack of practice.

“Honestly we have not really been able to practice; to be honest, we have been game prep, game prep and game prep. I would love the opportunity to clean this up,” Meier said. “We did not even practice yesterday because the Illinois game was so tough and so emotional.”

Despite the turnovers and chaotic play, there were plenty of positives for the Hurricanes to take away. Junior guard Jessica Thomas recorded an impressive stat line with 16 points, five assist and two steals. Canes also dominated the Eagles in a plethora of hustle categories. Miami scored 29 points off turnovers, compared to Coppin State’s 15. The Hurricanes were also strong on the boards, hauling in 44 rebounds, 17 of which came off the offensive glass.

Miami’s defense was strong from start to finish, as the Canes never trailed in the contest. The Eagles (2-5) were held scoreless for the first three minutes of the game. Redshirt junior forward Keyona Hayes led the defensive effort, recording three of the Canes’ 11 steals.

A strange moment in the early going of the second quarter brought a short pause to the game. A number of screws and bolts appeared to fall from the jumbotron.

“I have no idea. It looked like a bunch of washers rained down. I couldn’t really tell what it was,” Thomas said.

Junior guard Adrienne Motley left the game midway through the second quarter after running into a hard screen. Miami’s leading scorer coming into Friday’s contest received medical attention from the training staff and returned to the game at the beginning of the second half.

The team has been receiving votes from the AP poll and could potentially be ranked in the next AP poll released Sunday.

“I do without question believe we are a top-25 team,” Meier said.

The Canes next play UMass Lowell at 1 p.m. on Sunday at the BankUnited Center.

Tej Joshi

The Miami Hurricanes had to adjust their offense at halftime Saturday to pull out a road win against ...

Photo Gallery: UM v. Virginia Tech | Saturday, November 17, 2018 … Click to Continue » ...

The Miami Hurricanes found new life Saturday — despite so much seemingly going wrong. Big plays on o ...

At least in terms of their bowl situation, the Miami Hurricanes can take a deep, collective breath. ...

Thoughts, notes, reaction and postscripts after UM’s 38-14 win on Saturday at Virginia Tech, making ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team dropped a 75-52 decision Sunday at Iowa State in the P ...

The Canes got back to their winning ways with an impressive 38-14 victory at Virginia Tech. ...

20-point performances from Chris Lykes and DJ Vasiljevic led Miami past Bethune-Cookman. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team forced No. 10 Pitt to five sets in a thrilling match on Seni ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team is headed to Iowa State for the Preseason WNIT champio ...