Blogs, UBuzz

Yik Yak reacts to President Frenk’s letter about campus diversity, inclusivity

University of Miami President Julio Frenk released a letter Thursday morning detailing the school’s plans to promote inclusivity. The plan involves admitting and matriculating “the largest percentage of black students among our peer institutions,” in addition to directing more resources toward the Office of Multicultural Student Affairs (MSA).

See More: President Frenk strives to foster campus inclusivity

In response to Frenk’s letter, members of the UM community took to the anonymous social media app Yik Yak to share their thoughts and arguments. Posts were both for and against Frenk’s letter.

See More: President Frenk’s full letter to the UM community

IMG_3893IMG_3891IMG_3892IMG_3885IMG_3887IMG_3888

United Black Students President Te’Quan Taylor was not surprised by the anonymous posts.

“It seems that every time progress is made, or seemingly made, students take to Yik Yak, an anonymous social media platform, to voice their concerns,” Taylor said over email. “I am ashamed that a portion of our student body thinks that an increase in black students and faculty is synonymous with a decrease in qualifications. That simply isn’t true.”

Taylor disagreed with students’ use of an anonymous medium to air their concerns.

“If we aren’t able to have these critical conversations with individuals from completely different backgrounds who have disparate views, then there is no hope for understanding,” he said. “Conversation drives understanding. Understanding drives progress.”

Similar reactions were had in December of 2014 after a “Black Lives Matter” protest happened on campus. More than 200 students protested the grand jury decision not to charge Officer Darren Wilson for the shooting of Michael Brown.

See More: Dramatic ‘Black Lives Matter’ demonstration gives voice to voiceless

The protest sparked an online conversation about racial issues at UM after racist comments were posted to Yik Yak. Former UM President Donna E. Shalala and students had back-and-forth dialogue about the reactions to the protest.

Ultimately, Shalala established the “Task Force to Address Black Students’ Concerns” in February 2015 to assess campus climate for black students.

Sherman Hewitt

A University of Miami College of Engineering researcher is trying to perfect a technique of using lu ...

Through an internship with M. Shanken Communications, rising senior Teddy Willson has contributed to ...

University of Miami alumna Vanessa Garcia recounts her personal journey writing for the highly accla ...

University of Miami religious studies professor Catherine Newell weighs in on some of the big questi ...

NASA wants to return humans to the moon by 2024. A University of Miami engineering graduate is part ...

Two Miami Hurricanes were among those players selected to the preseason watch list for the 25th annu ...

ESPN Events announced Thursday afternoon the bracket for the 2019 Charleston Classic, set to take pl ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday its 2018-19 academic honor roll and 177 University o ...

The ACC Network is set to launch August 22. If your television provider hasn't yet decided to c ...

Claudia De Antonio, Renate Grimstad and Kristyna Frydlova were each selected as WGCA All-American Sc ...