Blogs, UBuzz

Yik Yak reacts to President Frenk’s letter about campus diversity, inclusivity

University of Miami President Julio Frenk released a letter Thursday morning detailing the school’s plans to promote inclusivity. The plan involves admitting and matriculating “the largest percentage of black students among our peer institutions,” in addition to directing more resources toward the Office of Multicultural Student Affairs (MSA).

See More: President Frenk strives to foster campus inclusivity

In response to Frenk’s letter, members of the UM community took to the anonymous social media app Yik Yak to share their thoughts and arguments. Posts were both for and against Frenk’s letter.

See More: President Frenk’s full letter to the UM community

IMG_3893IMG_3891IMG_3892IMG_3885IMG_3887IMG_3888

United Black Students President Te’Quan Taylor was not surprised by the anonymous posts.

“It seems that every time progress is made, or seemingly made, students take to Yik Yak, an anonymous social media platform, to voice their concerns,” Taylor said over email. “I am ashamed that a portion of our student body thinks that an increase in black students and faculty is synonymous with a decrease in qualifications. That simply isn’t true.”

Taylor disagreed with students’ use of an anonymous medium to air their concerns.

“If we aren’t able to have these critical conversations with individuals from completely different backgrounds who have disparate views, then there is no hope for understanding,” he said. “Conversation drives understanding. Understanding drives progress.”

Similar reactions were had in December of 2014 after a “Black Lives Matter” protest happened on campus. More than 200 students protested the grand jury decision not to charge Officer Darren Wilson for the shooting of Michael Brown.

See More: Dramatic ‘Black Lives Matter’ demonstration gives voice to voiceless

The protest sparked an online conversation about racial issues at UM after racist comments were posted to Yik Yak. Former UM President Donna E. Shalala and students had back-and-forth dialogue about the reactions to the protest.

Ultimately, Shalala established the “Task Force to Address Black Students’ Concerns” in February 2015 to assess campus climate for black students.

Sherman Hewitt

Boston College star Ky Bowman came down with a 102-degree fever on Saturday night. Jordan Chatman an ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Sunday: ▪ New UM defensive coordinator Blake Baker has asked UM ...

Emese Hof and No. 20 Miami think they can play with anyone, and it shows. Hof scored 18 of her 25 po ...

New University of Miami baseball head coach Gino DiMare wanted to start strong. He got perfection. T ...

Former University of Miami star running back Mark Walton was arrested late Friday on a charge of mis ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team stormed back from a 14-point deficit to pick up the bi ...

Brian Van Belle struck out five over six shutout innings to help the Canes sweep Rutgers on opening ...

The Hurricanes dropped a tight contest with the Eagles in Chestnut Hill, 64-57. ...

The sophomore first baseman slugged his second homer of the weekend to lead the Canes to a series wi ...

Junior Renate Grimstad led the way for Miami and is tied for 18th at one-over-par, while sophomore K ...