Campus Life, Crime and Safety, News

Semester statistics shed light on campus crime

An average of one crime is being recorded by police every day on the University of Miami’s Coral Gables campus in the three and a half months since the school’s fall semester began. University of Miami Police Department crime logs showed 105 crimes in the 105 days from Aug. 18th until Nov. 1, not including eight that were classified as “unfounded.” Eight were listed as having arrests made, one was listed as cleared and another was listed as a trespass warning being issued; the disposition for all crimes without these classifications was “open.”

Thefts, larcenies and burglaries made up the vast majority of those crimes with 50. 23 narcotics violations occurred during the same time; 14 were listed at Hecht Residential College, five were listed at Stanford Residential College, two were listed at both Eaton Residential College and the University Village, while Mahoney Residential College had one.

One sexual assault, one “sexual battery/assault,” and one sex offense were listed. Eight instances of simple battery or assault were recorded.

Seven instances of both fraud and vandalism have also been recorded.

Screen shot 2015-12-03 at 12.07.43 AM

Screen shot 2015-12-03 at 12.08.03 AM

Infographics by Savanah Debrosse

William Riggin

The director of the Sylvester Comprehensive Cancer Center is named the first holder of the Oscar de ...

With the new movie about Fred Rogers opening in theaters today, University of Miami faculty reflect ...

University of Miami students share how they blend together new and old traditions this upcoming holi ...

Jenna Efrein, a senior lecturer in glass in the Art and Art History Department, wants your help coll ...

More and more people are dabbling in side jobs to bring in some extra cash, a growing trend helped a ...

As Miami prepares to face FIU Saturday night at Marlins Park -- original site of the venerable Orang ...

Behind 55 points from its starting backcourt trio, the Miami men's basketball team posted a 74- ...

The Miami women's basketball team is headed to the Windy City to participate in the Maggie Dixo ...

The Miami swimming & diving team hits the road for a pair of midseason meets this weekend, with ...

Miami's young offensive line took its share of lumps early. But the group's focus and reso ...