Campus Life, News

‘Conga for a Cause’ raises money to establish wireless Internet connection in Cuba

Members of the University of Miami’s Federación de Estudiantes Cubanos (FEC) held the annual Conga for a Cause event on the University Center Patio on Wednesday afternoon. The event raised money for Connect Cuba, a project by the Foundation for Human Rights to connect people in Cuba by establishing a wireless Internet connection.

Participants paid a flat rate of $5 for a T-Shirt and a Cuban food buffet. Students played dominos, a popular table game in Cuba and among Cuban students in FEC. Others lined up to try their arm at the dunk tank. Members of FEC hoped that Conga for a Cause would raise both money and awareness for the Foundation for Human Rights in Cuba.

Vice president and junior psychology and sociology major Sarah Betancourt expanded on the organization’s involvement with the Foundation for Human Rights and the Connect Cuba project.

“Conga for a Cause is our annual charity event that we hold in the Fall. The past years we’ve raised money for the Foundation for Human Rights in Cuba and one of their campaigns is called Connect Cuba,” she said. “They’re trying to get Wi-Fi and internet over to Cuba so they can communicate and not be as isolated as they are currently.”

According to the World Bank, Cuba is currently the country with the least broadband internet in the Western Hemisphere.

Jose Mota-Lebron, a general body member of FEC and freshman economics major, attended the event for the first time.

“I had a good time with everyone at FEC. They had a lot of good food and music, I watched them play dominos and we just hung out. It was a good time and the money is going towards a cool cause,” he said.

Last year’s Conga for a Cause event raised more than $700 to benefit the Foundation for Human Rights in Cuba. FEC hoped to surpass last year’s record.

FEC works to increase campus awareness of many aspects of Cuban culture for Cubans and non-Cubans alike. The Week of Cuban Culture, the organization’s largest event, will be held in the spring and include a new event to further educate students on Cuban traditions and culture.

“Our largest event is the Week of Cuban Culture that is coming in the Spring, the first week of March. There are a bunch of awesome events, and the opening ceremonies take place in February … This year we will have a new event, our Salsa night, where we will teach everyone how to dance,” Betancourt said.

Emmi Velez

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

The No. 21 University of Miami and FIU have met twice in football. But, oh, what a history they have ...

When University of Miami star safety Jaquan Johnson, thought by many to be the best player on the te ...

University of Miami backup tailback DeeJay Dallas, who had his first career 100-yard rushing game Sa ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Listeners to UM President Julio Frenk’s State of the U reacted positively to the message and the Uni ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Tropical storm scientists and climate experts at the University of Miami provided insight, observati ...

Joseph Ganitsky, a professor in the Miami Business School, examines the financial crisis facing Arge ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...

The University of Miami women's golf team concluded Sunday with a sixth-place finish at the 35t ...

The University of Miami golf team is in sixth after the first two rounds of play at the 35th annual ...