Football, Sports

Reports: Mark Richt will be next head coach of Miami Hurricanes

Photo Courtesy Red&Black

Photo Courtesy Red&Black

Former Hurricane Mark Richt is coming back to the University of Miami as head coach, as first reported by Peter Ariz of CanesInSight.com. ESPN’s Brett McMurphy and Dave Hyde of the Sun-Sentinel reported the same. According to Brody Logan – an UM alum – of Fox News, the school will announce the hire tomorrow. The school has not yet confirmed the hire.

Richt, who was a star quarterback at Boca Raton High, graduated from UM in 1982 after backing up Hall of Fame quarterback Jim Kelly in the early 1980s. Richt was fired from the University of Georgia on Sunday after 15 seasons in the tough SEC, possessing a career record of 145-51. At Georgia, he won two SEC titles, had nine 10-win seasons and was 9-5 in bowl games. The Bulldogs finished the 2015 regular season 9-3.

Miami’s new head coach was in high demand following his dismissal at Georgia. Richt said on Monday that “about five” schools had already contacted him. According to multiple reports, Richt interviewed for the UM job on Tuesday and the University of Virginia job earlier Wednesday.

Richt said in a press conference on Monday that he would like to be more involved in his next coaching gig. “I’ll say this: if and when I do coach again, I’m looking forward to coaching again, in terms of being hands-on,” he said. “I miss coaching quarterbacks. I miss calling plays. I miss that part of it.”

Before taking over at Georgia ahead of the 2001 season, Richt spent a decade as an offensive assistant coach at Florida State under Bobby Bowden. Richt is a strong recruiter inside and outside of South Florida, having a top-10 ranked class by ESPN each of the last six seasons at Georgia.

Richt would take over for Larry Scott, who was 4-1 as interim head coach after replacing Al Golden on Oct. 25. Golden was fired following the team’s 58-0 defeat at home to Clemson, the worst loss in UM history. It is unknown if Scott will remain on the staff.

Photo courtesy Flickr user FLC.

Mark Singer

The season is evaporating before our eyes. And nothing made that more obvious than University of Mia ...

The Miami Hurricanes had to adjust their offense at halftime Saturday to pull out a road win against ...

Photo Gallery: UM v. Virginia Tech | Saturday, November 17, 2018 … Click to Continue » ...

The Miami Hurricanes found new life Saturday — despite so much seemingly going wrong. Big plays on o ...

At least in terms of their bowl situation, the Miami Hurricanes can take a deep, collective breath. ...

Kristiana Yao, who graduated summa cum laude in May, said she was “still in shock” after finding out ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team dropped a 75-52 decision Sunday at Iowa State in the P ...

The Canes got back to their winning ways with an impressive 38-14 victory at Virginia Tech. ...

20-point performances from Chris Lykes and DJ Vasiljevic led Miami past Bethune-Cookman. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team forced No. 10 Pitt to five sets in a thrilling match on Seni ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team is headed to Iowa State for the Preseason WNIT champio ...