Homebodies can have fun, too

College tends to conjure up images of roaring party scenes, and the University of Miami has one of the best.

So when I, a proud homebody, call up friends from home and don’t talk about the crazy times I have, they tell me that I’m “wasting my college experience.”

But am I? Just because we stay in (or stay dry) through high school and college doesn’t mean we don’t have our own share of experiences that are just as legitimate and rewarding.

While UM is a certifiable party school on the surface, this culture isn’t the pervasive across the board. On weekends when I’m not back at home an hour away, I enjoy solo shopping at Sunset Place and advance screenings at the Cosford Cinema. Often, there is no greater pleasure than lounging in bed, gazing up at twinkling dorm lights and pressing “next episode” on Netflix for the umpteenth time. Friends of homebodies, take note: we may not always have plans, but we’re okay with that.

At the end of the day, it doesn’t matter whether you can barely remember your Saturday night or if you remember every “Arrested Development” episode you binge-watched in detail. The key for both homebodies and the rest of the student body is to never dismiss someone else’s idea of a good time. Someday, we might even run into each other at a bar – or more likely, on a snack run to Target – and laugh about why we ever thought there needed to be only one type of fun.

Grace Wehniainen is a freshman majoring in journalism.

Featured image courtesy Pixabay user tookapic

Grace Wehniainen

An online seminar sponsored by the University of Miami Institute for Advanced Study of the Americas

The first presidential debate between President Donald J. Trump and former vice president and democr

As the Miami Hurricanes take on Florida State, University of Miami students are invited to a Friday-

Linguist Caleb Everett reminds us that the mind has yet to grasp the modern world’s explosion of mas