Art, Edge

Art Basel brings creative events to Miami

Attendees of Art Basel 2014 peruse the Miami Beach Convention Center. The annual exhibition displays works of modern and contemporary art from around the world. Rori Kotch // Contributing Photographer

Art Basel Miami Beach is back, and there are plenty of scheduled events for this year’s fair, ranging from cultural celebrations to the 267 gallery exhibits open to the public this weekend. As finals begin, here are some student-friendly events that will provide the perfect way to take a study break.

Art Beat Miami

Open through Sunday, Art Beat Miami is bringing together local, national and international artists who share their work and murals in Little Haiti. From 11 a.m. to 8 p.m. each day, the Caribbean Marketplace, a social gathering space of art and food at the Little Haiti Cultural Complex, will be filled with jazz and roots music, steel drums, and delicious dishes. For a schedule of events, visit artbeatmiami.com/schedule.

The Caribbean Marketplace is located at 5925 N.E. Second Ave. in Miami.

Bubbles & Brunch with Roz Chast

You don’t have to travel far to get to this event, which will take place right on campus at the Lowe Art Museum. The New Yorker cartoonist and author Roz Chast will be at the museum on Sunday for breakfast beginning at 10 a.m., followed by a talk and book signing at 11:30 a.m. in the BankUnited Center Fieldhouse. For more information, visit miami.edu/lowe.

The Lowe Art Museum is located at 1301 Stanford Drive in Miami.

The Portal

The Portal, a gold shipping container housed at the Sagamore Hotel in Miami Beach, is a project aimed at allowing the public to engage in talking with strangers from around the world through an experience of casual conversation. From 8:30 a.m. to 11:30 p.m. Tuesday through Sunday, visitors are invited to have a 20-minute conversation in the container with a person from Iran, Honduras, Mexico or Afghanistan along with a translator. To reserve a portal time, visit sharedstudios.com/miami.

The Sagamore Hotel is located at 1671 Collins Ave. in Miami Beach.

PULSE

This beachside contemporary art fair, which runs through Saturday, will host more than 85 local and international exhibitors in two large tents. Throughout the event, visitors will see large-scale projects and performances in a space featuring the works of both emerging and established galleries. The fair at Indian Beach Park will conclude with a sunset celebration from 5-7 p.m. on Sunday. Admission is $15 for students who show IDs. For tickets, visit pulse-art.com.

Indian Beach Park is located at 4601 Collins Ave. in Miami Beach.

Holoscenes

Artists in the Holoscenes art installation will be performing in elevator-sized water tanks as the space is filled and drained by a water system. The project is meant to tell a story of rising seas and climate change in a way that provokes thought. The installation, a vision of technical director Erin Lin, a University of Miami alumnus who studied theatre arts, will be free to the public. Performances will take place at the Miami Dade College Wolfson Campus. For details, visit mdclivearts.org.

Miami Dade College Wolfson Campus is located at 300 N.E. Second Ave. in Miami.

Scope

The art show in Miami Beach will be filled with contemporary works from 120 international exhibitors of 22 countries and 57 cities with gallery booths set up in a pavilion to showcase this year’s creations. The show runs through Sunday. For event details, visit scope-art.com.

Scope Art Show is located at 801 Ocean Drive in Miami Beach.

Emily Dabau

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Frank Garis first watched Jalen Rivers from the opposite sideline, and the offensive lineman was imp ...

George Stewart had a big problem, and little time to solve it. It was Week 6 of the 2018 season, and ...

One of the interesting subplots of this Hurricanes season will be watching the evolution of a bunch ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ Coach Manny Diaz said the quarterback race among Ta ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

Nursing researchers and music therapists test a simple and cost-effective way of motivating critical ...

The University of Miami Libraries offer readers multiple ways to access the books, which are popular ...

Rosenstiel School researcher Martin Grosell weighs in on how marine life in the Gulf could be affect ...

Varona, an attorney and educator who specializes in administrative law, communications and media law ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...

Two-time Miami women's basketball team co-captain Laura Cornelius is set to start her professio ...

Courtney spent nine years previously on Jim Larranaga's staff from 1996-2005. ...

The University of Miami track and field program received 17 All-America honors at the conclusion of ...