Culture, Fashion

Eclipse Fashion Society has first runway show, displays collections

Senior Candice Louise Johnson walks the runway Monday evening during the first annual Eclipse Fashion Show, which aims to promote and inspire fashion, modeling, photography, and design. Alisha Kabir // Staff Photographer

Senior Candice Louise Johnson walks the runway Monday evening during the Eclipse Fashion Show, which aims to promote and inspire fashion, modeling, photography and design. Alisha Kabir // Staff Photographer

With a vision to create the first fashion-oriented organization on campus, senior Ariel Adams started the Eclipse Fashion Society, a society open to all individuals interested in fashion, from modeling to fashion business. On Monday, the club had its first runway show, Allow Me to Reintroduce Myself, to showcase high-fashion pieces.

Emceed by South Florida comedian Success Junior, the show featured nine student models, including some who view modeling as a hobby and others who hope to break into the modeling world professionally.

“I think for our first show ever it went very great. A lot of the girls were nervous but we had a nice turnout,” Anthonia Moore, public relations advisor for the society said. “I think it definitely got the Eclipse Fashion Society name out there … I genuinely see how much potential Eclipse Fashion Society has.”

While the evening kicked off with some laughs and solid beats dropped by D.J. Thunder, the rosy smiles were replaced with looks of fierceness and determination as soon as the models walked on stage.

The first collection on the runway was from the Royal Fudge Collection, a local Miami boutique. As models walked down the runway, they sported body-hugging dresses and skirts. Though the styles were mostly in monochromatic tones of blacks and reds, the looks were far from dull with bold statement necklaces, daringly long earrings and mysterious birdcage veils.

As the sponsor of the show, Victoria’s Secret also showed off a few of its own looks from their PINK collection. With an even balance of grace and athleticism, the models wore neon color block jackets and leggings and also brought back velvet tracksuits.

Fort Lauderdale designer Ma’ne Terces’s line is self-described as a brand for “confident, sexy trendsetters who are comfortable within their skin,” and the models embodied this philosophy as they paraded down the runway. The collection played with a variety of styles and textures, from a front-tie kimono style dress to a snakeskin body-con and a glittering black and gold sheer dress. There were countless sparkles and plunging necklines in this collection, all of which the girls modeled with utter ferocity as they towered in six-inch platforms.

Freshman Torrey Crosby, member of the Eclipse Fashion Society of UM, poses during the Eclipse Fashion Show Monday evening. Alisha Kabir // Staff Photographer

The Lamaj Collection closed out the show in a bold finale with jet-black pieces as a part of every outfit. Some of the most outstanding looks from the collection included a peplum maxi skirt with a train, a thigh-hugging little black dress with a sheer overlay and a midi mermaid-style dress with an ornate flower on the shoulder.

The show included special performances from dance groups Miami Motion and KAOS, both of whose sharp lines and crisp moves fit right in with the theme of the show.

In the future, Moore said the organization hopes to grow with newly recruited members and seeks to hold bigger events with other student clubs.

“In the spring semester, we will have a smaller showcase and be partnering with other organizations,” Moore said. “For example, in March we’ll be ripping the runway in the African Students Union Fashion Show.”

The ladies of the Eclipse Fashion Society of UM line up during their first fashion show at the Shalala Student Center ballrooms Monday evening. Alisha Kabir // Staff Photographer

Shyamali Mahure

Instead of in-person celebrations at Hard Rock Stadium, President Julio Frenk announced that the University of Miami will hold its four observances online because of updated COVID-19 data. ...

The newly chartered Peruvian Students Association seeks to expand its impact and influence beyond campus, supporting protests against education cutbacks in the South American country and connecting students across the United States to their Andean roots. ...

Leyna Stemle found that by attaching green LED lights to fishing nets in Ghana, the illumination was able to divert most of the reptiles from becoming entangled and hurt. ...

As the world observes the 32nd annual World AIDS Day, a University of Miami team is shining a bright light on a neighborhood initiative to curtail the epidemic. ...

With the acquisition of the new instrument and an accompanying nanoindenter, studies at the College of Engineering are entering a new and advanced era of materials characterization. ...