Basketball, Sports

Miami women’s basketball dominates Old Dominion 61-35

The Hurricanes are now 3-0 on the season after capping off an incredible 20-0 run in the second half that led to a 61-35 win against Old Dominion in Virginia on Tuesday.

Despite only shooting 38 percent from the field, the Canes shut down the Monarchs offense with great defensive play. The team beat out Old Dominion in almost every significant statistical category, including rebounds, bench points and points in the paint.

Junior guard Adrienne Motley led the Canes in scoring with 22 points and added four rebounds in her best overall performance of the season. The forwards also got it done this game. Sophomore Erykah Davenport was one rebound shy of a double double, scoring 10 points and grabbing nine rebounds. Freshman Emese Hof had eight points to go along with eight boards off the bench.

Freshman guard Laura Cornelius did a little bit of everything for Miami, scoring eight points, dishing out five assists and pulling down four rebounds.

The Canes clearly wanted to get things going inside first and foremost, with Davenport scoring two early baskets down low. Motley started out in a rhythm early in the first quarter, after struggling to find her shot in the first two games.

Miami played the type of defense that the fans were hoping to see, holding Old Dominion (1-1) to just six points and eight percent shooting from the field in the quarter. Cornelius helped the team increase the lead to 12 by the end of the first period with two three-pointers.

The second quarter wasn’t a great one for the Canes. The field goal percentage dropped to 34 percent with the team again struggling from three-point range. A bright spot was Motley finishing the first half with 12 points on 6-of-11 shooting. Both teams scored 14 points in the second period to leave the score at 32-20 at halftime.

The Canes did not start the second half like they would have hoped, allowing the Monarchs to go on an 8-0 run within the first four minutes of the third quarter. Sloppy play equated to turnovers and missed shots early in the period. The defense also had a hard time stopping Old Dominion guard Jennie Simms.

The Canes, being resilient as always, responded incredibly to the run by the Monarchs with an 18-0 one of its own to finish the third quarter. Miami held Old Dominion scoreless for the last 6:53 of the period. Hof scored six huge points during the run, and Motley stayed on fire with eight in the quarter to bring the score to 50-28.

Miami stayed the course in the fourth quarter, extending the lead to as high as 29. The team continued to play strong defense against the Monarchs, not allowing any sort of comeback.

Even with a great team victory, the team must address its shooting issues as the season goes on. The Canes have shot 41.8 percent, 36.2 percent and now 38 percent in the first three games of the year.

The Canes will travel to play against Loyola-Chicago at 2:30 p.m. on Saturday.

Isaiah Kim-Martinez

Isaiah Kim-Martinez can be reached on Twitter at @isaiah_km.

The Asa Martin era for the Miami Hurricanes might be coming to an end just six months after it began ...

Avantae Williams and Lorenzo Lingard punctuated Paradise Camp with a chest bump. The Miami Hurricane ...

Sebastian the Ibis of the University of Miami displayed tremendous defense in leading the Pizza Hut ...

June is one of the most important months in the recruiting calendar and the Miami Hurricanes finishe ...

A six-pack of notes from UM’s annual Paradise Camp on Saturday: ▪ Few Canes greats have as unique a ...

The first debates of the Democratic presidential primary season will take place over two nights. How ...

Doctoral student Maria del Rosario Concha Mendez is spending the summer researching materials in the ...

Alumna Lauren Crotty reflects on her undergraduate experience and the path that led her to sign up w ...

The U.S. women’s national soccer team, competing for the World Cup in France, is entrenched in a cou ...

In the first course of its kind on a college campus, faculty, staff, and students will learn if they ...

Two outgoing Miami student-athletes, Emese Hof and Samantha Gonzalez, are among the record 585 nomin ...

Chris McMahon was selected to participate in the 2019 USA Baseball Collegiate National Team training ...

Five members of the Miami women's tennis team earned All-ACC Academic Team distinction, as anno ...

Eight Miami Hurricanes were among those recognized by the conference with selections to the Track an ...

UM forward Dewan Hernandez was selected 59th overall by the Toronto Raptors in the 2019 NBA Draft. ...