Football, Sports

Search advisory committee formed for next Miami Hurricanes head coach

Director of Athletics Blake James announced Monday afternoon the formation of a search advisory committee for the new head coach of the Hurricanes. The school also hired research firm Korn Ferry to assist the university in the coaching hire.

“We are well underway in our search process and, as expected, there is already a tremendous amount of interest in The U,” James said in a statement. “Additionally, we are reaching out to a number of UM constituencies to engage in dialogue and to hear their thoughts and vision.  We will work diligently to find a great fit for Miami and I want to thank in advance the members of the advisory committee for their dedication to our university.”

Former Hurricanes Jonathan Vilma and Vinny Testaverde are on the search committee as well as several members of the Board of Trustees and Deputy Director of Athletics Jennifer Strawley.

Below is the full press release.

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced today the retention of a search firm and the formation of a search advisory committee as the University seeks a new head football coach.

Korn Ferry, one of the world’s most respected search firms with vast experience in coaching searches, has been retained and will assist the University in all aspects of the search process.

The search advisory committee will provide James with input on the process and on candidates.  Members of the advisory committee include Board of Trustees members Hilarie Bass, David Epstein and Steve Saiontz; Deputy Director of Athletics Jennifer Strawley and former UM standouts Jonathan Vilma and Heisman Trophy winner Vinny Testaverde.

“We are well underway in our search process,” said James, “and, as expected, there is already a tremendous amount of interest in The U.  Additionally, we are reaching out to a number of UM constituencies to engage in dialogue and to hear their thoughts and vision.  We will work diligently to find a great fit for Miami and I want to thank in advance the members of the advisory committee for their dedication to our University.”

Mark Singer

Caribbean experts assessed the coronavirus’s impact on the region in a webinar on Nov. 19 hosted by the University of Miami Institute for Advanced Study of the Americas. ...

A project on race, housing, and displacement in Miami connects past patterns of discrimination to modern disparities. ...

United Black Students and the Black Student Athlete Alliance, in partnership with the University of Miami administration, mobilize to honor the lives lost due to police brutality. ...

As students and faculty and staff members prepare to wrap up the Fall 2020 semester, here’s a look at the availability of facilities and services during the break. ...

The University of Miami president called for increased cooperation, new powers for the World Health Organization, and transparency incentives as critical to manage and mitigate future health outbreaks. ...