Sports, Tennis

Max Andrews cruises to victory, Stephanie Wagner falls in semifinals

Third-seeded junior Max Andrews won the singles bracket of the Dick Vitale Lakewood Ranch Intercollegiate Clay Court Classic on Sunday in Sarasota. He defeated Minnesota’s Ruben Weber, the tournament’s fourth seed, in two sets 6-4, 6-4.

On his way to the finals, Andrews topped Princeton’s Benjamin Tso in the quarterfinals in two short sets, 6-3, 6-1, and bested fellow Hurricane sophomore Christian Langmo in the semifinals on Saturday.

The match was close as they split the first two sets, but the second-seeded Langmo was forced to retire in the third set with an injury, giving Andrews the victory.

Earlier on Saturday, Langmo and Andrews played together as a doubles duo. They reached the doubles semifinals, where they lost to Florida Gulf Coast’s tandem of Andres Alfonzo and Oliver Landert.

Sophomore Niclas Genovese also saw action in the singles bracket. He was able to the push top-seeded Tom Colautti of Princeton to a close match before eventually falling in a third set.

Members of the women’s tennis team competed as well this weekend. For the second consecutive year, senior Stephanie Wagner reached the semifinals of the USTA/ITA National Indoor Intercollegiate Championships (NIIC) in Flushing, New York. Wagner, the No. 6 player in the country, lost to the top-ranked freshman of the tournament, Ohio State’s Francesca Di Lorenzo, in straight sets on Saturday.

Early on in the first set of the match, Wagner fell behind, dropping four of the first five games. After winning three of the next four games, she drew within one point of tying the set at five a piece, but was unable to score at the critical juncture. Wagner lost both sets 6-4, 6-4.

“Steffi struggled today with putting a complete match together and recognizing the way she was winning point[s],” Associate Head Coach Laura Vallverdu said to HurricaneSports.com.

En route to the semifinals, Wagner defeated two top-ten ranked opponents, upping her total to six top-ten victories all time.

Wagner took down No. 2 Brooke Austin of the University of Florida in three sets in the round of 16. Wagner struggled in the first set, as she got down early and eventually lost 6-3. Bouncing back in the second set, Wagner went up 5-3, but Austin would not allow Wagner to completely reverse the momentum of the match. Austin won the next two games, bringing the set to an even 5-5 score. Wagner recovered to win the next two games for a 7-5 win. The third and final set belonged to Wagner, as she was able to put away Austin 6-4.

After defeating Austin, Wagner advanced to the quarterfinals to face Vanderbilt’s Sydney Campbell. Wagner easily advanced past the seventh-ranked player in two sets 6-3, 6-4.

Vallverdu attributes Wagner’s success not only to her physical game, but also to her improved mental composure.

“Steffi has improved her mental side of the game, which makes her really dangerous,” Vallverdu said to HurricaneSports.com.

No. 13 sophomore Sinead Lohan also was in action in the NIIC. She lost in her first round matchup in two sets to No. 11 Joana Eidukonyte of Clemson. The first set was closely contested, as it went to a tiebreaker with a final score of 7-6, but Lohan lost control of the match in the second set, losing 6-1.

The NIIC and Dick Vitale Clay Court Classic were the Hurricanes’ last tournaments of the fall season. The teams will return to the court in January 2016.

Tej Joshi

Pro Football Focus unveiled where Power 5 programs rank in tackles for a loss or no gain against the ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

Braylen Ingraham’s final college visit before decision day took him just about as far from home as p ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

UM’s annual Food Day celebration will highlight the need to eat sustainable, locally sourced foods ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

The Miami women's tennis team turned in a strong showing Saturday at the ITA Southeast Regional ...

On the first day of Main Draw action at the ITA Southeast Regional Championships Presented by Oracle ...

The University of Miami soccer team closes out action in the Tar Heel state with a match against thi ...

The Miami women's tennis team opened play Friday at the ITA Southeast Regional Championships Pr ...

The Miami Hurricanes fell in their tri-meet with Georgia Tech and Notre Dame Saturday afternoon, dro ...