Sports, Volleyball

Canes volleyball bounce back with 3-1 win over Irish

Senior outside hitter Taylor Scott (22) reaches for the ball during Sunday's 3-1 win over Notre Dame. The Canes bounced back after a 3-1 loss to Louisville on Friday. Evelyn Choi // Staff Photographer

Senior outside hitter Taylor Scott (22) reaches for the ball during Sunday’s 3-1 win over Notre Dame. The Canes bounced back after a 3-1 loss to Louisville on Friday. Evelyn Choi // Staff Photographer

The Hurricanes defeated ACC foe Notre Dame 3-1 at the Knight Sports Complex on Sunday. It was a much-needed win going into the final stretch of the season, especially after Miami (18-8, 11-4) lost at home for the first time this season Friday night to Louisville.

“Friday was such a close game that we talked a lot about finding a couple points and minimizing some errors,” Head Coach Jose Gandara said.

Sophomore setter Haley Templeton did well distributing the ball, tallying 51 assists for the match. Her efforts allowed three hitters to tally more than 10 kills each.

“We didn’t have a bad hitter today,” Templeton said. “All of our hitters stepped up today.”

Senior outside hitter Alexis Mourning finished with 13 kills while outside hitters redshirt junior Kelsie Groot and sophomore Olga Strantzali both recorded 14.

“It was a good matchup for me,” Mourning said. “They only had one blocker, so I had a lot of opportunities.”

The Canes beat the Irish 25-16 in the first set after taking a 5-0 lead thanks to Strantzali’s serving and kills from Mourning. The Irish offense never got going due to poor passing and hitting errors. However, Notre Dame rebounded in the second game, winning 25-21.

The teams traded points throughout games three and four, and Miami suffered from unforced errors as well as a few questionable calls from the referees. Despite this, the Canes came back and won both games 25-18, 25-18.

“Notre Dame (6-22, 1-15) is a team that doesn’t make a lot of errors, so that puts pressure on you to perform and execute,” Gandara said. “The lesson is that we can’t control what they do. We just do what we do.”

The Canes, now 11-1 at home, have four more regular season games before the NCAA Tournament starts on Dec. 3. The team next plays Duke at 7 p.m. on Friday in the Knight Sports Complex.

Rachel Cox-Rosen

Father, mother, and daughter will all be students at the University of Miami this fall semester. ...

UM weather expert and senior research associate Brian McNoldy explains the science behind lightning ...

As students make their way back to campus for the new school year, here’s a refresher on some of the ...

President Julio Frenk and student leaders formally welcome first-year and transfer students to campu ...

Marc Gellman, a University of Miami research associate professor, recounts his experience attending ...

Miami's defensive tackles have traditionally been some of the Hurricanes' best players, wh ...

On the final night of its trip abroad, the Miami men's basketball team defeated LCC Internation ...

Sophomores Brevin Jordan and Will Mallory look to follow in the footsteps of the greats before them ...

Jarren Williams stepped into the spotlight for the first time Tuesday as Miami's starting quart ...

Former Miami soccer player Dalanda Ouendeno is attempting to become the first foreign female pit cre ...