Sports, Volleyball

Canes volleyball bounce back with 3-1 win over Irish

Senior outside hitter Taylor Scott (22) reaches for the ball during Sunday's 3-1 win over Notre Dame. The Canes bounced back after a 3-1 loss to Louisville on Friday. Evelyn Choi // Staff Photographer

Senior outside hitter Taylor Scott (22) reaches for the ball during Sunday’s 3-1 win over Notre Dame. The Canes bounced back after a 3-1 loss to Louisville on Friday. Evelyn Choi // Staff Photographer

The Hurricanes defeated ACC foe Notre Dame 3-1 at the Knight Sports Complex on Sunday. It was a much-needed win going into the final stretch of the season, especially after Miami (18-8, 11-4) lost at home for the first time this season Friday night to Louisville.

“Friday was such a close game that we talked a lot about finding a couple points and minimizing some errors,” Head Coach Jose Gandara said.

Sophomore setter Haley Templeton did well distributing the ball, tallying 51 assists for the match. Her efforts allowed three hitters to tally more than 10 kills each.

“We didn’t have a bad hitter today,” Templeton said. “All of our hitters stepped up today.”

Senior outside hitter Alexis Mourning finished with 13 kills while outside hitters redshirt junior Kelsie Groot and sophomore Olga Strantzali both recorded 14.

“It was a good matchup for me,” Mourning said. “They only had one blocker, so I had a lot of opportunities.”

The Canes beat the Irish 25-16 in the first set after taking a 5-0 lead thanks to Strantzali’s serving and kills from Mourning. The Irish offense never got going due to poor passing and hitting errors. However, Notre Dame rebounded in the second game, winning 25-21.

The teams traded points throughout games three and four, and Miami suffered from unforced errors as well as a few questionable calls from the referees. Despite this, the Canes came back and won both games 25-18, 25-18.

“Notre Dame (6-22, 1-15) is a team that doesn’t make a lot of errors, so that puts pressure on you to perform and execute,” Gandara said. “The lesson is that we can’t control what they do. We just do what we do.”

The Canes, now 11-1 at home, have four more regular season games before the NCAA Tournament starts on Dec. 3. The team next plays Duke at 7 p.m. on Friday in the Knight Sports Complex.

Rachel Cox-Rosen

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

With Jaquan Johnson still sidelined with a hamstring strain he suffered on Saturday against Toledo, ...

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

The trailer for a documentary exploring the relationships between UM students and Holocaust survivor ...

New technology could help workplaces and schools identify violent intruders before they enter the do ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team will begin her fall campaign Thursday a ...

Through three games, Miami is No. 1 in the country in tackles for loss and the entire Hurricanes def ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The University of Miami soccer team is set to return to Cobb Stadium, where it will host No. 12 Duke ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...