Community, Crime and Safety, News

Dr. Jim Larson presents studies on ‘aggressive youth’ at conference on school safety, violence

Dr. Jim Larson, of the University of Wisconsin Psychology Department, presents studies on youth aggression Friday morning at the Alumni Center. Larson was the Keynote speaker for a conference on school safety and violence prevention hosted by the UM School of Education and Human Development and the Melissa Institute. Erum Kidwai // Staff Photographer

Students inclined to proactive aggression, as opposed to students inclined to reactive aggression, often see little reason to change their ways due to this goal-oriented aggressive behavior. According to Jim Larson, professor emeritus of psychology and former director of the School Psychology Training Program at the University of Wisconsin, these students are belligerent because of their desire for something more.

Dr. Larson presented his studies on aggressive youth to an audience of educational professionals, teachers and other professions as the keynote speaker for the conference on School Safety and Violence Prevention, an event held by the University of Miami School of Education and Human Development and The Melissa Institute Friday morning.

When it comes to college students, Larson said they are less aggressive than their counterparts who are not in college.

“There’s something to be said about somebody who has the self-control to go to college also has the self-control to avoid fighting, if they stay sober,” Larson said.

Along with this presentation, other speakers presented how these studies either influenced or directly affected the transitioning procedure for dealing with disciplinary issues in Miami-Dade public schools, which was the main focus for the conference.

Executive Director of the Division of Educational Opportunity and Access Deborah Montilla spoke about the current perceptions of handling disciplinary issues with students. Of the many procedures, Montilla’s focus was on the use of Outdoor Suspension and how alternatives to suspension provide opportunities to identify and eliminate root causes of behavior.

“[Our goal] is to lead these off-track students with high-promise toward safety, health and well-being,” said Montilla.

Another topic of discussion came from Frank Zenere, department head of the MDCPS Crisis Management Program. Zenere spoke of youth who have been impacted by childhood trauma. He compared the trauma to a snow globe; when the snow globe is shaken, there’s chaos within, similar to childhood trauma being the leading cause for psychological issues.

“Things will forever be different [after the initial shake of the snow globe]” said Zenere.

Although the conference was geared toward students of Miami-Dade Public Schools, Dr. Larson assured that these issues are also present in adults both in college and in the workplace.

“Proactive aggression is any aggression, whether done by a child, teenager, or adult, that is planned, has a goal to it, tends to be not anger-reactive, but simply aggression that is looking to obtain something. That’s instrumental aggression,” said Larson.

Jorge Chabo

Friday was strange for Gino DiMare. It wasn’t because his whole family went out to the mound at Alex ...

One thing was obvious to Wayne Younger the first time he got his hands on Ladarius Tennison: The ath ...

Though it’s early, UM already has assembled an outstanding nine-member 2020 recruiting class, a grou ...

Three days before they open their season against the Rutgers Scarlet Knights, the Miami Hurricanes h ...

The first half of Wednesday night’s game was as lousy as the weather outside the Watsco Center, as t ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The University of Miami baseball team opened the Gino DiMare era with a record-setting victory over ...

The Canes open the 75th season in program history and first under the direction of head coach Gino D ...

Game time is 6 p.m. in Chestnut Hill, Mass. ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team will play its second top-five foe in a span of three g ...

The University of Miami golf team heads to the Big Easy to open competition Sunday at the 2019 Allst ...