Blogs, WCGSports

WCGSports: Canes Hoops’ experience to trump youth

Regular season begins Friday for the Miami Hurricanes men’s basketball team. With a ton of key players returning from last season, surpassing the Sweet 16 is a great possibility.

Several seniors lead the Canes. Angel Rodriguez, Sheldon McClellan and Tonye Jekiri will be back in their roles in the starting lineup. Junior Davon Reed also returns after starting last season.

The team had several different lineup changes last season due to some injuries. A healthy season will lead to success.

Some of the powerhouse teams, such as Kentucky and Duke, rely on freshmen to carry them throughout the NCAA tourney. I believe experience will triumph over youth this year, which leads the Canes to big wins.

I’m not saying Miami is better than those two teams, but the senior leadership by Rodriguez, McClellan and Jekiri will boost the team’s confidence and play throughout the season in crucial situations.

Atlantic Coast Conference (ACC) basketball is the most energetic to watch. Huge regular season games at home versus Duke, University of Virginia, Notre Dame, Louisville and more will give the Canes an advantage, thanks to loud, cheering fans. The ACC is nothing to take for granted.

With an improved team and a healthy start to the season, this year should be a great one for the Canes.

For more from Wyatt Geller, visit his personal website.

Wyatt Geller

University of Miami atmospheric scientist Elliot Atlas is part of a NASA-funded project studying how ...

Led by the Miller School of Medicine, the southeast region has enrolled more than 14,000 volunteers ...

Two Commencement ceremonies will take place at the Watsco Center on the Coral Gables campus on Thurs ...

The investiture of the School of Law Dean Anthony E. Varona as the M. Minnette Massey Chair took pla ...

The University of Miami Frost School of Music's annual holiday event raises funds for the Donna ...

With an Olympic year on the horizon, former Canes star Lauryn Williams reflects on an incredible car ...

The Miami women's basketball staff just got stronger with the addition of former Hurricane stan ...

The University of Miami football program announced Sunday that it has accepted a bid to the 2019 Wal ...

Spots are filling up fast for the upcoming Gino DiMare Exposure Camp on January 18-19, 2020. ...

Greg Rousseau was one of Miami's breakout players this year and will be honored Friday night in ...