Blogs, WCGSports

WCGSports: Canes Hoops’ experience to trump youth

Regular season begins Friday for the Miami Hurricanes men’s basketball team. With a ton of key players returning from last season, surpassing the Sweet 16 is a great possibility.

Several seniors lead the Canes. Angel Rodriguez, Sheldon McClellan and Tonye Jekiri will be back in their roles in the starting lineup. Junior Davon Reed also returns after starting last season.

The team had several different lineup changes last season due to some injuries. A healthy season will lead to success.

Some of the powerhouse teams, such as Kentucky and Duke, rely on freshmen to carry them throughout the NCAA tourney. I believe experience will triumph over youth this year, which leads the Canes to big wins.

I’m not saying Miami is better than those two teams, but the senior leadership by Rodriguez, McClellan and Jekiri will boost the team’s confidence and play throughout the season in crucial situations.

Atlantic Coast Conference (ACC) basketball is the most energetic to watch. Huge regular season games at home versus Duke, University of Virginia, Notre Dame, Louisville and more will give the Canes an advantage, thanks to loud, cheering fans. The ACC is nothing to take for granted.

With an improved team and a healthy start to the season, this year should be a great one for the Canes.

For more from Wyatt Geller, visit his personal website.

Wyatt Geller

Father, mother, and daughter will all be students at the University of Miami this fall semester. ...

UM weather expert and senior research associate Brian McNoldy explains the science behind lightning ...

As students make their way back to campus for the new school year, here’s a refresher on some of the ...

President Julio Frenk and student leaders formally welcome first-year and transfer students to campu ...

Marc Gellman, a University of Miami research associate professor, recounts his experience attending ...

On the final night of its trip abroad, the Miami men's basketball team defeated LCC Internation ...

Miami's defensive tackles have traditionally been some of the Hurricanes' best players, wh ...

Sophomores Brevin Jordan and Will Mallory look to follow in the footsteps of the greats before them ...

Jarren Williams stepped into the spotlight for the first time Tuesday as Miami's starting quart ...

Former Miami soccer player Dalanda Ouendeno is attempting to become the first foreign female pit cre ...