Blogs, WCGSports

WCGSports: Canes Hoops’ experience to trump youth

Regular season begins Friday for the Miami Hurricanes men’s basketball team. With a ton of key players returning from last season, surpassing the Sweet 16 is a great possibility.

Several seniors lead the Canes. Angel Rodriguez, Sheldon McClellan and Tonye Jekiri will be back in their roles in the starting lineup. Junior Davon Reed also returns after starting last season.

The team had several different lineup changes last season due to some injuries. A healthy season will lead to success.

Some of the powerhouse teams, such as Kentucky and Duke, rely on freshmen to carry them throughout the NCAA tourney. I believe experience will triumph over youth this year, which leads the Canes to big wins.

I’m not saying Miami is better than those two teams, but the senior leadership by Rodriguez, McClellan and Jekiri will boost the team’s confidence and play throughout the season in crucial situations.

Atlantic Coast Conference (ACC) basketball is the most energetic to watch. Huge regular season games at home versus Duke, University of Virginia, Notre Dame, Louisville and more will give the Canes an advantage, thanks to loud, cheering fans. The ACC is nothing to take for granted.

With an improved team and a healthy start to the season, this year should be a great one for the Canes.

For more from Wyatt Geller, visit his personal website.

Wyatt Geller

Instead of in-person celebrations at Hard Rock Stadium, President Julio Frenk announced that the University of Miami will hold its four observances online because of updated COVID-19 data. ...

The newly chartered Peruvian Students Association seeks to expand its impact and influence beyond campus, supporting protests against education cutbacks in the South American country and connecting students across the United States to their Andean roots. ...

Leyna Stemle found that by attaching green LED lights to fishing nets in Ghana, the illumination was able to divert most of the reptiles from becoming entangled and hurt. ...

As the world observes the 32nd annual World AIDS Day, a University of Miami team is shining a bright light on a neighborhood initiative to curtail the epidemic. ...

With the acquisition of the new instrument and an accompanying nanoindenter, studies at the College of Engineering are entering a new and advanced era of materials characterization. ...