Edge, Food

Delicious dishes Miami locals must try

Miami is known for its flavorful offerings and diverse dishes. It’s difficult to choose a place to dine among so many delicious offerings, so whether you’re looking for a quick bite near campus or a place to check out while exploring the city, here’s your guide to Miami must-haves sorted by neighborhood.

Brickell: Chicken and Waffles at American Social

American Social puts a twist on this Southern classic brunch dish by blending in cherries, mascarpone cheese and bourbon maple sauce. A unique addition is the vanilla flavor of the waffles, which brings it all together.

American Social is located at 690 S.W. First Court in Miami.

Coral Gables: Smashed Avo at Threefold Cafe

Everything about this avocado toast is far from typical. The smashed avocado is topped with an optional poached egg and garnished with basil, feta, lime, mushrooms and thyme, all on a piece of rye bread.

Threefold Cafe is located at 141 Giralda Ave. in Coral Gables.

Everything about this avocado toast is far from typical. The smashed avocado is topped with an optional poached egg and garnished with basil, feta, lime, mushrooms and thyme, all on a piece of rye bread.

Threefold Cafe is located at 141 Giralda Ave. in Coral Gables.

Design District: Bacon-wrapped Dates at Sugarcane Raw Bar Grill

If you’re in the midtown or Wynwood area, you have to check out these dates. They’re wrapped in slightly crispy linguica bacon and stuffed with manchego cheese. The bacon adds a nice salty touch while the dates keep the dish sweet.

Sugarcane Raw Bar Grill is located at 3252 N.E. First Ave. in Miami.

Downtown: Oysters at Mignonette

Mignonette uses a rotating selection to show its offerings of oysters from both the East and West Coasts. If it’s your first time or if you’re unsure which type of oysters you like, order the sampler plate to try a diverse selection.

Mignonette is located at 210 NE 18th St. in Miami.

Key Biscayne: Crab Cake at The Rusty Pelican

Made with grilled corn, chives and peppers and served with a chipotle aioli sauce on the side, this appetizer is to die for. Even though it’s only one cake, its large size is filling and the inside is stuffed with fluffy, baked crabmeat and covered with a light breading.

The Rusty Pelican is located at 3201 Rickenbacker Causeway in Key Biscayne.

Little Haiti: Shrimp and Grits at Blue Collar

Made with Trugole cheese, Nueske’s bacon and New Orleans-style barbecue sauce, this dish is a unique combination of flavors. While the sauce may seem like an odd choice for shrimp, it’s an unforgettable combination that you have to taste.

Blue Collar is located at 6730 Biscayne Blvd. in Miami.

Miami Beach: Star Luca Pizza at Visa-O1

This pizza is so beautiful, you won’t even want to eat it. However, it smells too good to resist. It comes in the shape of a star, making it easy to pull off a small piece and is great for sharing. Each portion is filled with mozzarella and ricotta cheese along with San Marzano sauce and spicy salami.

Visa-O1 is located at 1680 Michigan Ave. in Miami Beach.

Miami Beach: Fried Oreos at Prime 112 Restaurant

If you’re looking for a dessert that is unique and slightly unconventional, then go for fried Oreos. The fancy steakhouse’s sweet dish comes with vanilla ice cream, a delightful complement to the cookies.

Prime 112 is located at 112 Ocean Drive in Miami Beach.

West Miami: Pan Con Lechon at El Palacio De Los Jugos

Pan Con Lechon is a quintessential Cuban dish, translating to roast pork sandwich. The roasted pork is seasoned and then chopped up and topped onto toasted fresh bread. It’s a dish you can’t go without trying in Miami.

El Palacio de Los Jugos is located at 5721 W. Flagler St. in Miami.

Featured image courtesy Pixabay user joakant

Melissa Ostroff

A University of Miami College of Engineering researcher is trying to perfect a technique of using lu ...

Through an internship with M. Shanken Communications, rising senior Teddy Willson has contributed to ...

University of Miami alumna Vanessa Garcia recounts her personal journey writing for the highly accla ...

University of Miami religious studies professor Catherine Newell weighs in on some of the big questi ...

NASA wants to return humans to the moon by 2024. A University of Miami engineering graduate is part ...

Two Miami Hurricanes were among those players selected to the preseason watch list for the 25th annu ...

ESPN Events announced Thursday afternoon the bracket for the 2019 Charleston Classic, set to take pl ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday its 2018-19 academic honor roll and 177 University o ...

The ACC Network is set to launch August 22. If your television provider hasn't yet decided to c ...

Claudia De Antonio, Renate Grimstad and Kristyna Frydlova were each selected as WGCA All-American Sc ...