Sports, Swimming/Diving

Sports Briefs 11/9: Rowing, swimming, diving

Swimming and Diving:

The Hurricanes opened their home schedule with a 156-144 victory over Princeton on Friday at Gulliver Preparatory School for the swimming team and Miami Dade College’s Kendall Campus for the diving team.

Miami won 11 of the 15 total swimming events and swept the top three spots in both the 1-meter and 3-meter diving events.

“It was exciting, another close meet … we seem to find those,” Head Swimming Coach Andy Kershaw said to HurricaneSports.com. “It was good to see them battle and come up in big places and get it done.”

The Canes divers next travel to the Texas Diving Invitational on Nov. 19-21 while the swimming team will head to the Ohio State Invitational on Nov. 20-22.

Rowing:

The Hurricanes won a championship on Sunday in their final event of the fall to close out the Head of Hooch tournament held over the weekend in Chattanooga, Tennessee.

Seniors Sarah Aschebrock and Caitlin Lowe, both orignally from New Zealand, bested 20 other boats in the Women’s Open 2- with a time of 18:48.1.

“Our pairs did a great job racing hard and focusing on our fundamentals, and Sarah and Caitlin came away with the win,” Miami Head Coach Dave Sanderson said to HurricaneSports.com. “Overall, it was a great weekend of racing from the team.”

The Canes had six total boats competing in the Women’s Open 2- event and Women’s Open 8+ event on Sunday. Miami took third place in the Women’s Championship 8+ race on Saturday.

The Canes return to the water in the spring of 2016.

Mark Singer

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ Hurricanes fans aren’t the only ones exasperated by t ...

If Saturday wasn’t a turning point for N’Kosi Perry, it was maybe the start of one — at least this i ...

The question for Manny Diaz was simple, and the defensive coordinator’s answer was simple, too — sor ...

The University of Miami’s popular turnover chain was spotlighted in a promotional video for February ...

The evidence was glaring. On Monday night, Miami true freshman running back Lorenzo Lingard posted o ...

New student organization’s mission is a movement to return to the ‘roots’ of natural hair. ...

A University of Miami professor discusses the dynamics of this trend. ...

A mobile museum coming to UM this week will showcase relics of the African-American experience. ...

Get set for a whirlwind of information on critical issues facing the planet and how to tell those st ...

Professors and staff from UM are offering students an in-class introduction to gardening and food pr ...

The Canes have two games left in the 2018 regular season and they have one goal in mind: finish the ...

2018 NCAA Tournament programs match up at 7 p.m. at Watsco Center. ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team will host No. 19 Marquette in a top-25 matchup Thursda ...

Director of Track and Field/Cross Country Amy Deem announced the University of Miami's 2019 tra ...

The Miami women's basketball team moved up one spot to No. 24 nationally in this week's As ...