Sports, Swimming/Diving

Sports Briefs 11/9: Rowing, swimming, diving

Swimming and Diving:

The Hurricanes opened their home schedule with a 156-144 victory over Princeton on Friday at Gulliver Preparatory School for the swimming team and Miami Dade College’s Kendall Campus for the diving team.

Miami won 11 of the 15 total swimming events and swept the top three spots in both the 1-meter and 3-meter diving events.

“It was exciting, another close meet … we seem to find those,” Head Swimming Coach Andy Kershaw said to HurricaneSports.com. “It was good to see them battle and come up in big places and get it done.”

The Canes divers next travel to the Texas Diving Invitational on Nov. 19-21 while the swimming team will head to the Ohio State Invitational on Nov. 20-22.

Rowing:

The Hurricanes won a championship on Sunday in their final event of the fall to close out the Head of Hooch tournament held over the weekend in Chattanooga, Tennessee.

Seniors Sarah Aschebrock and Caitlin Lowe, both orignally from New Zealand, bested 20 other boats in the Women’s Open 2- with a time of 18:48.1.

“Our pairs did a great job racing hard and focusing on our fundamentals, and Sarah and Caitlin came away with the win,” Miami Head Coach Dave Sanderson said to HurricaneSports.com. “Overall, it was a great weekend of racing from the team.”

The Canes had six total boats competing in the Women’s Open 2- event and Women’s Open 8+ event on Sunday. Miami took third place in the Women’s Championship 8+ race on Saturday.

The Canes return to the water in the spring of 2016.

Mark Singer

The Miami Hurricanes’ 2020 recruiting class continues to grow. Three-star Deerfield Beach wide recei ...

Chaminade-Madonna in Hollywood has produced some distinguished alums, including ESPN (and Miami Hera ...

Columbus was a popular destination for coaches throughout the first full week of May this spring. On ...

With Mark Walton (cut by Cincinnati) and Kendrick Norton (released by Carolina), the Dolphins have n ...

Perhaps no one but Kellen Winslow II knows for sure when his deep dive began from beloved University ...

Former University of Miami student Elio M. Garcia, Jr. and his wife Linda Antonsson discuss their jo ...

Researchers at the University of Miami are using big data to identify affordable housing opportuniti ...

From office furniture to electronics to kitchen items, the University of Miami sells surplus propert ...

Researchers at the University of Miami are studying zebrafish to understand human genetics and ident ...

Behavioral scientists establish a new mental health research center at the University of Miami to ha ...

Top-seeded Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team edged No. 77 Paola Diaz-Delg ...

Redshirt junior Brian Van Belle will take the mound in Miami's ACC Baseball Championship opener ...

The Bowling Green, Ky., native joins the Hurricanes after spending two seasons at Liberty. ...

The quest for a spot at the 2019 NCAA Outdoor Championships begins Thursday for Miami's track a ...

Talking Track is a series that features current members of the Miami track and field program, while ...