Sports, Swimming/Diving

Sports Briefs 11/9: Rowing, swimming, diving

Swimming and Diving:

The Hurricanes opened their home schedule with a 156-144 victory over Princeton on Friday at Gulliver Preparatory School for the swimming team and Miami Dade College’s Kendall Campus for the diving team.

Miami won 11 of the 15 total swimming events and swept the top three spots in both the 1-meter and 3-meter diving events.

“It was exciting, another close meet … we seem to find those,” Head Swimming Coach Andy Kershaw said to HurricaneSports.com. “It was good to see them battle and come up in big places and get it done.”

The Canes divers next travel to the Texas Diving Invitational on Nov. 19-21 while the swimming team will head to the Ohio State Invitational on Nov. 20-22.

Rowing:

The Hurricanes won a championship on Sunday in their final event of the fall to close out the Head of Hooch tournament held over the weekend in Chattanooga, Tennessee.

Seniors Sarah Aschebrock and Caitlin Lowe, both orignally from New Zealand, bested 20 other boats in the Women’s Open 2- with a time of 18:48.1.

“Our pairs did a great job racing hard and focusing on our fundamentals, and Sarah and Caitlin came away with the win,” Miami Head Coach Dave Sanderson said to HurricaneSports.com. “Overall, it was a great weekend of racing from the team.”

The Canes had six total boats competing in the Women’s Open 2- event and Women’s Open 8+ event on Sunday. Miami took third place in the Women’s Championship 8+ race on Saturday.

The Canes return to the water in the spring of 2016.

Mark Singer

Caribbean experts assessed the coronavirus’s impact on the region in a webinar on Nov. 19 hosted by the University of Miami Institute for Advanced Study of the Americas. ...

A project on race, housing, and displacement in Miami connects past patterns of discrimination to modern disparities. ...

United Black Students and the Black Student Athlete Alliance, in partnership with the University of Miami administration, mobilize to honor the lives lost due to police brutality. ...

As students and faculty and staff members prepare to wrap up the Fall 2020 semester, here’s a look at the availability of facilities and services during the break. ...

The University of Miami president called for increased cooperation, new powers for the World Health Organization, and transparency incentives as critical to manage and mitigate future health outbreaks. ...