Sports, Swimming/Diving

Sports Briefs 11/9: Rowing, swimming, diving

Swimming and Diving:

The Hurricanes opened their home schedule with a 156-144 victory over Princeton on Friday at Gulliver Preparatory School for the swimming team and Miami Dade College’s Kendall Campus for the diving team.

Miami won 11 of the 15 total swimming events and swept the top three spots in both the 1-meter and 3-meter diving events.

“It was exciting, another close meet … we seem to find those,” Head Swimming Coach Andy Kershaw said to HurricaneSports.com. “It was good to see them battle and come up in big places and get it done.”

The Canes divers next travel to the Texas Diving Invitational on Nov. 19-21 while the swimming team will head to the Ohio State Invitational on Nov. 20-22.

Rowing:

The Hurricanes won a championship on Sunday in their final event of the fall to close out the Head of Hooch tournament held over the weekend in Chattanooga, Tennessee.

Seniors Sarah Aschebrock and Caitlin Lowe, both orignally from New Zealand, bested 20 other boats in the Women’s Open 2- with a time of 18:48.1.

“Our pairs did a great job racing hard and focusing on our fundamentals, and Sarah and Caitlin came away with the win,” Miami Head Coach Dave Sanderson said to HurricaneSports.com. “Overall, it was a great weekend of racing from the team.”

The Canes had six total boats competing in the Women’s Open 2- event and Women’s Open 8+ event on Sunday. Miami took third place in the Women’s Championship 8+ race on Saturday.

The Canes return to the water in the spring of 2016.

Mark Singer

Lots of nuggets on new UM quarterback Tate Martell, the fallout and Jarren Williams’ reaction: ▪ Whe ...

Katie Meier is a legend at Duke. Her photo hangs in the concourse at Cameron Indoor Arena. She was t ...

New University of Miami head coach Manny Diaz was asked on the radio the morning after he was hired, ...

Jalen Hurts is off the market — and he’s not making his way to South Florida. The former Alabama Cri ...

For three years earlier this decade, Marlins Park would masquerade as a football venue at least once ...

Gisela Vega, the former associate director of LGBTQA Initiatives at Florida International University ...

With new “personas” allowing for a more personalized mobile experience, the redesigned University of ...

Teams of scholars will use U-LINK grants to examine ways to reduce opportunity gaps and biases in mu ...

The film launches the 2019 film series for the UM Libraries Cuban Heritage Collection. ...

Here’s a go-to list of dates you should keep an eye on throughout the semester, along with some tidb ...

Miami released its 2019 football schedule highlighted by a season-opening matchup against Florida in ...

University of Miami head women's volleyball coach Jose "Keno" Gandara announced Monda ...

University of Miami Athletics announced Monday that it will host its fifth annual Celebration of Wom ...

After a weekend bye, the Miami women's basketball team resumes action Thursday evening at 7 p.m ...

The University of Miami football program has hired Dan Enos as its offensive coordinator and quarter ...