Sports, Swimming/Diving

Sports Briefs 11/9: Rowing, swimming, diving

Swimming and Diving:

The Hurricanes opened their home schedule with a 156-144 victory over Princeton on Friday at Gulliver Preparatory School for the swimming team and Miami Dade College’s Kendall Campus for the diving team.

Miami won 11 of the 15 total swimming events and swept the top three spots in both the 1-meter and 3-meter diving events.

“It was exciting, another close meet … we seem to find those,” Head Swimming Coach Andy Kershaw said to HurricaneSports.com. “It was good to see them battle and come up in big places and get it done.”

The Canes divers next travel to the Texas Diving Invitational on Nov. 19-21 while the swimming team will head to the Ohio State Invitational on Nov. 20-22.

Rowing:

The Hurricanes won a championship on Sunday in their final event of the fall to close out the Head of Hooch tournament held over the weekend in Chattanooga, Tennessee.

Seniors Sarah Aschebrock and Caitlin Lowe, both orignally from New Zealand, bested 20 other boats in the Women’s Open 2- with a time of 18:48.1.

“Our pairs did a great job racing hard and focusing on our fundamentals, and Sarah and Caitlin came away with the win,” Miami Head Coach Dave Sanderson said to HurricaneSports.com. “Overall, it was a great weekend of racing from the team.”

The Canes had six total boats competing in the Women’s Open 2- event and Women’s Open 8+ event on Sunday. Miami took third place in the Women’s Championship 8+ race on Saturday.

The Canes return to the water in the spring of 2016.

Mark Singer

Two Commencement ceremonies will take place at the Watsco Center on the Coral Gables campus on Thurs ...

The investiture of the School of Law Dean Anthony E. Varona as the M. Minnette Massey Chair took pla ...

The University of Miami Frost School of Music's annual holiday event raises funds for the Donna ...

University of Miami Miller School of Medicine students hung 3,000 posters in Wynwood last weekend to ...

Life on Great Abaco Island in the Bahamas is striving to get back to normal, but the scars of Hurric ...

RSS Error: A feed could not be found at http://www.hurricanesports.com/rss.aspx. A feed with an invalid mime type may fall victim to this error, or SimplePie was unable to auto-discover it.. Use force_feed() if you are certain this URL is a real feed.