Opinion, Staff Editorial

Mobility Plan needs more acknowledgement, promotion

Last week, the Miami Herald published an article called “UM paves way for fewer cars traveling around campus” that outlined a set of policies known as the UM Mobility Plan, last revised in July and available through a quick search of the university’s website. The report highlighted how the university used measures such as designated parking lots, discounted Metrorail passes and Hurry ‘Cane shuttles to drastically reduce vehicle use and traffic around campus.

The article portrays the effectiveness of the Mobility Plan through rose-tinted glasses. It cites that school shuttles run in intervals of five to seven minutes. However, students who use the shuttles are more familiar with daily inconveniences such as overcrowded buses or significantly longer wait times during rush hour.

In addition, the article and the Mobility Plan report both discuss subsidized public transit passes as solutions for employees and students, but only about 370 individuals from the Coral Gables campus use these discounted Metropasses, according to UM’s Mobility Plan report. Advertisement of this program to students is virtually nonexistent, so many students are unaware of how to sign up for this discounted program.

The available day parking options offered by the Mobility Plan are also subjects of student concern. Now that the discounted Ponce de Leon Garage will soon be used for UHealth staff and patients only, it raises the question of whether an alternative discounted parking option will be made available for students.

No doubt, decreasing the need for vehicle use around campus creates a safer, quieter campus environment, but the creators of these policies need more input from the individuals most affected by these changes and most familiar with the day-to-day challenges of moving around campus: students. If it is students who are paying for parking, waiting for shuttles and riding public transit to get to classes, research and internships, it is students who should have a voice.

Editorials represent the majority view of The Miami Hurricane editorial board.

Editorial Board

The United States Postal Service features Emilio Sanchez, the first Cuban American visual artist to be recognized in a new series of Forever stamps. ...

With the first elevated concrete floor deck poured last week, the Frost Institute of Chemistry and Molecular Science is on pace to open in the summer of 2022. ...

In a new study that scrutinized the speech patterns of Freddie Mercury, Michael Phelps, and other celebrities, University of Miami researchers offer insights on how diet ultimately reshapes language. ...

The multidisciplinary forum in April will explore lessons learned from the regions. There is a call for papers to be presented, but abstracts must be submitted by Jan. 17. ...

Former executive vice president John L. Green Jr., who helped launch the University’s football dynasty with two key coaching hires, passed away this month. ...