Opinion, Staff Editorial

Mobility Plan needs more acknowledgement, promotion

Last week, the Miami Herald published an article called “UM paves way for fewer cars traveling around campus” that outlined a set of policies known as the UM Mobility Plan, last revised in July and available through a quick search of the university’s website. The report highlighted how the university used measures such as designated parking lots, discounted Metrorail passes and Hurry ‘Cane shuttles to drastically reduce vehicle use and traffic around campus.

The article portrays the effectiveness of the Mobility Plan through rose-tinted glasses. It cites that school shuttles run in intervals of five to seven minutes. However, students who use the shuttles are more familiar with daily inconveniences such as overcrowded buses or significantly longer wait times during rush hour.

In addition, the article and the Mobility Plan report both discuss subsidized public transit passes as solutions for employees and students, but only about 370 individuals from the Coral Gables campus use these discounted Metropasses, according to UM’s Mobility Plan report. Advertisement of this program to students is virtually nonexistent, so many students are unaware of how to sign up for this discounted program.

The available day parking options offered by the Mobility Plan are also subjects of student concern. Now that the discounted Ponce de Leon Garage will soon be used for UHealth staff and patients only, it raises the question of whether an alternative discounted parking option will be made available for students.

No doubt, decreasing the need for vehicle use around campus creates a safer, quieter campus environment, but the creators of these policies need more input from the individuals most affected by these changes and most familiar with the day-to-day challenges of moving around campus: students. If it is students who are paying for parking, waiting for shuttles and riding public transit to get to classes, research and internships, it is students who should have a voice.

Editorials represent the majority view of The Miami Hurricane editorial board.

Editorial Board

A University of Miami College of Engineering researcher is trying to perfect a technique of using lu ...

Through an internship with M. Shanken Communications, rising senior Teddy Willson has contributed to ...

University of Miami alumna Vanessa Garcia recounts her personal journey writing for the highly accla ...

University of Miami religious studies professor Catherine Newell weighs in on some of the big questi ...

NASA wants to return humans to the moon by 2024. A University of Miami engineering graduate is part ...

Two Miami Hurricanes were among those players selected to the preseason watch list for the 25th annu ...

ESPN Events announced Thursday afternoon the bracket for the 2019 Charleston Classic, set to take pl ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday its 2018-19 academic honor roll and 177 University o ...

The ACC Network is set to launch August 22. If your television provider hasn't yet decided to c ...

Claudia De Antonio, Renate Grimstad and Kristyna Frydlova were each selected as WGCA All-American Sc ...