Sports, Tennis

Miami sophomores play in two tournaments, Cane represents Poland in doubles final

Freshman Piotr Lomacki plays a set during Friday’s match against Notre Dame. The Canes fell to the No. 37 Fighting Irish 4-3. Shreya Chidarala // Staff Photographer

Sophomore Piotr Lomacki, pictured here during last year’s match against Notre Dame, made it to the finals in doubles play at the USTA Futures event in Birmingham, Alabama this Friday. File Photo

Three Hurricanes competed in the Florida State University (FSU) Disney Invitational held in Orlando over the weekend. Sophomore Kevin Bondar highlighted the team’s performance with a run to the singles quarterfinals and sophomores Nile Clark and Niclas Genovese also competed in the tournament.

Bondar swept University of Central Florida’s Arjun Watane 6-3, 6-2 in the round of 32 after receiving a first round bye. He continued his strong showing in the round of 16, defeating the fifth-seeded Sean Donohue of Louisville in two sets 6-4, 6-3. Despite Bondar’s impressive play throughout the tournament, he was unable to defeat Pepperdine’s Lautaro Pane in the quarterfinals, falling 6-1, 6-4.

Genovese and Clark both lost in the first round of the tournament. Genovese lost in three closely contested sets to South Alabama’s Tuki Jacobs. He won the first set 7-6 but was unable to continue his success, losing the next two sets 7-2, 6-4.

Clark lost to Penn State’s Aws Laaribi in two sets 6-4, 7-5. After losing, both Genovese and Clark played in consolation games.

While several Hurricanes competed in the FSU Disney Invitational this past weekend, Miami sophomore Piotr Lomacki participated in the USTA Futures tournament in Birmingham, Alabama. He represented his home country of Poland rather than the University of Miami.

Lomacki participated in both the singles and doubles brackets. Lomacki and American Jared Hiltzik made a run to the finals on the doubles side before falling to the top-seeded duo of Americans Cameron Silverman and Wil Spencer in three sets.

The match was tightly contested from beginning to end. Lomacki and Hiltzik started strong, winning the first set 6-3. The tides turned as Silverman and Spencer reversed field, winning the next set 6-3. Silverman and Spencer continued their strong play, taking the third and final tiebreaker set 10-3.

Prior to the doubles final, Lomacki and Hiltzik advanced to the championship with relative ease. They won their first two matches in two sets each. Their semifinal match was their largest obstacle en route to the finals, requiring an 11-9 win in the final tiebreaker set to advance.

In the singles bracket, Lomacki only advanced to the second round of the tournament. He won his first match against American Patrick Daciek in three sets before falling to eighth-seeded Alexios Halebian in two sets.

The Hurricanes next play in the USTA/ITA National Indoor Intercollegiate Championship in Flushing, New York on Nov. 12-15.

Tej Joshi

Three of four University of Miami scholarship quarterbacks were suspended at various times this seas ...

While the University of Miami offense has struggled mightily this season, its defense has been stell ...

The Pittsburgh Panthers boast one of the best rushing offenses in the country. On Saturday, the Miam ...

After watching several juniors turn pro and then go late in the draft or not at all in recent years, ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Monday: ▪ If you ever wondered what the Hurricanes would look like if ...

Erin Kobetz, director of Sylvester Comprehensive Cancer Center’s Firefighter Cancer Initiative, disc ...

Kristiana Yao, who graduated summa cum laude in May, said she was “still in shock” after finding out ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

The Miami women's basketball team jumped two spots to No. 22 nationally in the first in-season ...

The Canes got back to their winning ways with an impressive 38-14 victory at Virginia Tech. ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team dropped a 75-52 decision Sunday at Iowa State in the P ...

20-point performances from Chris Lykes and DJ Vasiljevic led Miami past Bethune-Cookman. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team forced No. 10 Pitt to five sets in a thrilling match on Seni ...