Campus Life, News, Video

United Black Students shows most spirit during Storm Warning, new Homecoming tradition

As the sun set on the Whitten University Center Patio Wednesday afternoon, hurricane sirens sounded off. They marked the inauguration of a new Homecoming tradition, The Storm Warning.

Students walked from the Lakeside Patio to the Knight Sports Complex, where the students would eventually watch the University of Miami women’s volleyball team play against Florida State University (FSU).

See More: Canes defeat Seminoles 3-1 in crucial ACC matchup 

Designed to pump up students for the game, the competition was judged by the Homecoming Executive Committee on how loud their cheers were, and how much spirit they showed. United Black Students was announced as the organization with the most spirit during the volleyball game, inching them closer to a homecoming title.

“There was no better time to do this first event than while playing against FSU,” said Kevin Weaver, the chair of Storm Warning. “The march to the stadium, while we do our Canes chant, will pump us up to cheer on our team. The storm warning serves as an alert to FSU the fans are coming.”

From the patio, Sebestian led students past the Donna E. Shalala Student Center, past the freshmen residential colleges and to the sports complex while singing Hurricane chants.

Accompanying Sebastian was the UM baseball mascot, The Miami Maniac alongside the cheerleading dance team, Sunsations.

At the end of the walk, there was food served by catering company, Chef Paella, who offered Cuban chicken or veggie rice.

Marcus Lim

At 7:27 p.m Tuesday, University of Miami football coach Manny Diaz tweeted a GIF of a swirling Hurri ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ As Miami awaits decisions from its potential 2019 qua ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Monday night: ▪ FIU has decided that its Nov. 23 football game agains ...

Dewan Hernandez hit another NCAA roadblock on Monday, but the University of Miami forward will take ...

Jeff Thomas will be joining the Illinois Fighting Illini after all. After a few days of discussion a ...

Grantees aim to eliminate opportunity gaps and biases in different realms and improve brain injury t ...

The film launches the 2019 film series for the UM Libraries Cuban Heritage Collection. ...

Here’s a go-to list of dates you should keep an eye on throughout the semester, along with some tidb ...

For more than 77 years, UM Hillel has provided a vibrant and diverse “home-away-from-home” that is f ...

University of Miami experts weigh in on the largest increase in carbon emissions in eight years. ...

The University of Miami football program has hired Dan Enos as its offensive coordinator and quarter ...

University of Miami head women's volleyball coach Jose "Keno" Gandara announced Monda ...

University of Miami Athletics announced Monday that it will host its fifth annual Celebration of Wom ...

After a weekend bye, the Miami women's basketball team resumes action Thursday evening at 7 p.m ...

Pictures from the No. 17 Miami women's tennis team's season-opening action in the Miami Sp ...