Community, Crime and Safety, News

Third-year law student Kevin Sigurani dies

NEWS_Death Kevin Sigurani

Kevin Sigurani

A 24-year-old University of Miami student died on Monday after being hit by a truck while skateboarding on Bird Road, according to police.

Kevin Sigurani, a third-year student in the law school, was riding his skateboard in the eastbound lane of Bird Road when a truck heading in the same direction hit him. Coral Gables Police Department spokeswoman Kelly Denham said that Sigurani was wearing dark clothes at the time of the accident, which may have made him difficult to see. The driver stayed on the scene and administered aid before paramedics arrived and took Sigurani to Jackson Memorial Hospital, where he died on Monday morning, according to Denham. An investigation into the accident has been opened.

School of Law Dean Patricia D. White said in an email to faculty, staff and students of the law school that there had been an outpouring of support in response to the accident. “He was clearly a wonderfully caring and special person. We have been in close touch with his mother. Today, as befits Kevin’s generous spirit, several organ transplants are being done. His heart and other organs will live on and bring life and hope to other people.”
White said that she anticipated a reception at the School of Law following a reception at St. Augustine Church on Miller Road, but that Sigurani’s mother was still working on making arrangements. She added that Sigurani was from Miami and graduated from Florida International University before attending UM’s law school.  He interned for Judge Ellen Venzer of the Eleventh Judicial Circuit of Florida this summer and was in the Children and Youth Law Clinic, according to White.

William Riggin

Friday was strange for Gino DiMare. It wasn’t because his whole family went out to the mound at Alex ...

One thing was obvious to Wayne Younger the first time he got his hands on Ladarius Tennison: The ath ...

Though it’s early, UM already has assembled an outstanding nine-member 2020 recruiting class, a grou ...

Three days before they open their season against the Rutgers Scarlet Knights, the Miami Hurricanes h ...

The first half of Wednesday night’s game was as lousy as the weather outside the Watsco Center, as t ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The University of Miami baseball team opened the Gino DiMare era with a record-setting victory over ...

The Canes open the 75th season in program history and first under the direction of head coach Gino D ...

Game time is 6 p.m. in Chestnut Hill, Mass. ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team will play its second top-five foe in a span of three g ...

The University of Miami golf team heads to the Big Easy to open competition Sunday at the 2019 Allst ...