Community, Crime and Safety, News

Third-year law student Kevin Sigurani dies

NEWS_Death Kevin Sigurani

Kevin Sigurani

A 24-year-old University of Miami student died on Monday after being hit by a truck while skateboarding on Bird Road, according to police.

Kevin Sigurani, a third-year student in the law school, was riding his skateboard in the eastbound lane of Bird Road when a truck heading in the same direction hit him. Coral Gables Police Department spokeswoman Kelly Denham said that Sigurani was wearing dark clothes at the time of the accident, which may have made him difficult to see. The driver stayed on the scene and administered aid before paramedics arrived and took Sigurani to Jackson Memorial Hospital, where he died on Monday morning, according to Denham. An investigation into the accident has been opened.

School of Law Dean Patricia D. White said in an email to faculty, staff and students of the law school that there had been an outpouring of support in response to the accident. “He was clearly a wonderfully caring and special person. We have been in close touch with his mother. Today, as befits Kevin’s generous spirit, several organ transplants are being done. His heart and other organs will live on and bring life and hope to other people.”
White said that she anticipated a reception at the School of Law following a reception at St. Augustine Church on Miller Road, but that Sigurani’s mother was still working on making arrangements. She added that Sigurani was from Miami and graduated from Florida International University before attending UM’s law school.  He interned for Judge Ellen Venzer of the Eleventh Judicial Circuit of Florida this summer and was in the Children and Youth Law Clinic, according to White.

William Riggin

An online seminar sponsored by the University of Miami Institute for Advanced Study of the Americas

The first presidential debate between President Donald J. Trump and former vice president and democr

As the Miami Hurricanes take on Florida State, University of Miami students are invited to a Friday-

Linguist Caleb Everett reminds us that the mind has yet to grasp the modern world’s explosion of mas