Community, Crime and Safety, News

Third-year law student Kevin Sigurani dies

NEWS_Death Kevin Sigurani

Kevin Sigurani

A 24-year-old University of Miami student died on Monday after being hit by a truck while skateboarding on Bird Road, according to police.

Kevin Sigurani, a third-year student in the law school, was riding his skateboard in the eastbound lane of Bird Road when a truck heading in the same direction hit him. Coral Gables Police Department spokeswoman Kelly Denham said that Sigurani was wearing dark clothes at the time of the accident, which may have made him difficult to see. The driver stayed on the scene and administered aid before paramedics arrived and took Sigurani to Jackson Memorial Hospital, where he died on Monday morning, according to Denham. An investigation into the accident has been opened.

School of Law Dean Patricia D. White said in an email to faculty, staff and students of the law school that there had been an outpouring of support in response to the accident. “He was clearly a wonderfully caring and special person. We have been in close touch with his mother. Today, as befits Kevin’s generous spirit, several organ transplants are being done. His heart and other organs will live on and bring life and hope to other people.”
White said that she anticipated a reception at the School of Law following a reception at St. Augustine Church on Miller Road, but that Sigurani’s mother was still working on making arrangements. She added that Sigurani was from Miami and graduated from Florida International University before attending UM’s law school.  He interned for Judge Ellen Venzer of the Eleventh Judicial Circuit of Florida this summer and was in the Children and Youth Law Clinic, according to White.

William Riggin

The Miami Hurricanes’ 2020 recruiting class continues to grow. Three-star Deerfield Beach wide recei ...

Chaminade-Madonna in Hollywood has produced some distinguished alums, including ESPN (and Miami Hera ...

Columbus was a popular destination for coaches throughout the first full week of May this spring. On ...

With Mark Walton (cut by Cincinnati) and Kendrick Norton (released by Carolina), the Dolphins have n ...

Perhaps no one but Kellen Winslow II knows for sure when his deep dive began from beloved University ...

Researchers at the University of Miami are transforming weather forecasts by creating a seasonal for ...

Imagine simulating diabetes, lung cancer, or heart disease on a device no larger than a credit card. ...

Alabama’s new abortion law puts the issue of women’s rights in the spotlight for the upcoming 2020 e ...

The University of Miami is shaping the future of education by using innovative approaches that drive ...

Six short films created by University of Miami film students will be screened in Los Angeles this we ...

Top-seeded Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team edged No. 77 Paola Diaz-Delg ...

The Bowling Green, Ky., native joins the Hurricanes after spending two seasons at Liberty. ...

Redshirt junior Brian Van Belle will take the mound in Miami's ACC Baseball Championship opener ...

For the 17th year in a row, the Miami women's tennis team ended the season in the top 25 of the ...

The quest for a spot at the 2019 NCAA Outdoor Championships begins Thursday for Miami's track a ...