Commentary, Football, Sports

Miami Hurricanes hope to avoid trap game against Virginia

Redshirt freshman Malik Rosier (12) prepares to throw in his first career start against Duke last Saturday at Wallace Wade Stadium. Rosier is questionable to start in this week's game against Viriginia. Photo courtesy Ben McKeown

Redshirt freshman Malik Rosier (12) prepares to throw in his first career start against Duke last Saturday at Wallace Wade Stadium. Rosier is questionable to start in this week’s game against Virginia. Photo courtesy Ben McKeown

Let’s say it now: there is no way last week’s victory can be topped. None.

For the resurgent Miami Hurricanes looking to climb back into the ACC Coastal race, that’s just fine.

Despite it being just one game, “The Return,” the “Miami Miracle,” whatever you choose to call it, has the Hurricanes riding a high that they have not experienced for years. It’s time to get back to business though, as the University of Virginia Cavaliers are heading to Sun Life Stadium this Homecoming weekend.

The Cavaliers bring a 3-5 record into Saturday’s matchup, but that may be a bit misleading considering their difficult schedule thus far. All five of Virginia’s losses have been against teams with at least six wins already, and besides the loss to Boise State, every game has been competitive to the end.

With that said and with all the talk of last week’s game still buzzing around Coral Gables, the Hurricanes (5-3, 2-2) could risk falling into the vaunted “trap game.” The Canes could be unwittingly looking ahead past the Cavaliers to a vital Coastal matchup at North Carolina that looms next week.

Luckily for Larry Scott’s team, starting quarterback Brad Kaaya returned to practice earlier this week and has a chance to play on Saturday. If he doesn’t, the Canes will hope that Malik Rosier is ready to go despite an undisclosed injury that kept him overnight in a Durham hospital after last week’s victory.

Both quarterbacks are listed as questionable, but if neither can play against Virginia, redshirt sophomore Vincent Testaverde will get the call.

No matter who the Hurricanes have under center Saturday, don’t be surprised to see Miami light up the scoreboard. Virginia has given up 33 points a game so far this season, which ranks them 98th out of 128 teams in the country. With a Miami team that averages 29 points a game including a goose egg against Clemson, it could be a long day for the Virginia defense.

The remarkable thing for this Hurricanes team is the fact that through all of the ups and downs, they still have a shot at winning the Coastal. Even if it took a miracle to keep that hope alive, the Hurricanes still have a chance at achieving their main goal for the season.

The Canes don’t need a miracle to happen this Saturday. They just need a win.

Austin Sapin

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

With Jaquan Johnson still sidelined with a hamstring strain he suffered on Saturday against Toledo, ...

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

The trailer for a documentary exploring the relationships between UM students and Holocaust survivor ...

New technology could help workplaces and schools identify violent intruders before they enter the do ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team will begin her fall campaign Thursday a ...

Through three games, Miami is No. 1 in the country in tackles for loss and the entire Hurricanes def ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The University of Miami soccer team is set to return to Cobb Stadium, where it will host No. 12 Duke ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...