Letters to the Editor, Opinion

Letter to the editor: Support our teams in stands on Saturday

What a wild weekend that was, huh?

The Miami Hurricanes pulled off one of the greatest plays in college football history and the sports world exploded. For the first time in a long time, we were the center of national media attention.

Some might say the Canes were in it for the wrong reasons, but that’s just how we like it. As I saw Corn Elder streak down the sideline, I couldn’t help but think, “This is how it’s supposed to be. Canes always fight to the end.” The U has always had a flair for the dramatic and controversial. Truthfully, we wouldn’t want it any other way.

So here we are, post-national media explosion, firmly on the hunt for the ACC Coastal. Coming up, we have a bout against Virginia, a team that has given Miami trouble over the last few years. With the ghost of Al Golden’s regime in the rearview mirror, coupled with the momentum and motivation garnered by this past weekend’s victory, our homecoming game couldn’t come at a better time.

A homecoming game is used to celebrate the players and coaches and all the hard work they’ve put into this season. It’s used to commemorate those long summer days and those daily early morning practices. I call upon the students to rise up and show up in masses to the game this Saturday afternoon.

Week in and week out, our football players pour out blood, sweat and tears for the U. It’s time we do the same for them. I challenge you all to stay for the whole game so we can “throw the fours up” alongside our classmates on the field. We need to show up for this team; they have certainly earned it.

Brandon Almeida is a junior majoring in international finance and marketing. 

They were way below the radar coming into the 1983 season. And after their 28-3 opening-game loss to ...

In the opening eight minutes on Saturday — and the final seven minutes — FIU looked like a team that ...

The N’Kosi Perry era is here. Whether it’s here to stay is yet to be seen. The fans got what they wa ...

Ten takeaways from UM’s 31-17 win against FIU on Saturday at Hard Rock Stadium: ▪ Credit Mark Richt ...

As the Miami Hurricanes started their third series against the FIU Panthers on Saturday afternoon, t ...

A year after UPup’s founding father met his match, the service club is realizing its goal of becomin ...

N'Kosi Perry and a dominant Miami defense led the Hurricanes to a 31-17 victory over the Panthe ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team is headed to the championship of one th ...

The Miami women's tennis team posted a 5-2 mark in official matches on the second day of the Mi ...

Freshman Riley Howard continued her incredible start as a Canes cross country runner setting another ...

The University of Miami soccer team is set to host Virginia Tech Sunday at noon at Cobb Stadium. ...