Letters to the Editor, Opinion

Letter to the editor: Support our teams in stands on Saturday

What a wild weekend that was, huh?

The Miami Hurricanes pulled off one of the greatest plays in college football history and the sports world exploded. For the first time in a long time, we were the center of national media attention.

Some might say the Canes were in it for the wrong reasons, but that’s just how we like it. As I saw Corn Elder streak down the sideline, I couldn’t help but think, “This is how it’s supposed to be. Canes always fight to the end.” The U has always had a flair for the dramatic and controversial. Truthfully, we wouldn’t want it any other way.

So here we are, post-national media explosion, firmly on the hunt for the ACC Coastal. Coming up, we have a bout against Virginia, a team that has given Miami trouble over the last few years. With the ghost of Al Golden’s regime in the rearview mirror, coupled with the momentum and motivation garnered by this past weekend’s victory, our homecoming game couldn’t come at a better time.

A homecoming game is used to celebrate the players and coaches and all the hard work they’ve put into this season. It’s used to commemorate those long summer days and those daily early morning practices. I call upon the students to rise up and show up in masses to the game this Saturday afternoon.

Week in and week out, our football players pour out blood, sweat and tears for the U. It’s time we do the same for them. I challenge you all to stay for the whole game so we can “throw the fours up” alongside our classmates on the field. We need to show up for this team; they have certainly earned it.

Brandon Almeida is a junior majoring in international finance and marketing. 

Deidrick Stanley had his eye on the Miami Hurricanes long before his hometown school finally offered ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ UM has only two Rivals.com five-star recruits on the ...

Even five months ago, it would’ve been hard to picture Jaylan Knighton winding up with the Miami Hur ...

UM offensive coordinator Dan Enos on Monday addressed the quarterback situation in this piece, culle ...

University of Florida big man Keith Stone, a 6-8 and 254-pound Deerfield Beach native, is heading cl ...

A former UM professor started a company dedicated to publishing books on African-American culture, h ...

A group of School of Architecture students visited the Caribbean nation to learn about the historic ...

Faculty with the Miller School of Medicine and Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science w ...

Patricia “Trish” White, dean of the School of Law, is stepping down at the end of the academic year. ...

At the annual Hug the Lake, sustainability manager Teddy Lhoutellier was honored for improving the e ...

The Hurricanes will open an eight-game homestand with a midweek matchup against crosstown FIU on Wed ...

Talking Track is a series that features current members of the Miami track and field program, while ...

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame announced that Trajan Bandy is the 26th recipient of the ...

Stone played in 85 career games at University of Florida. ...

The Miami women's tennis team continued its ascent up the national rankings Tuesday, moving up ...