Former exercise physiology major Morgan Roger discovers passion for comedy

Morgan Roger performs with Oscar Diaz at the Villain Theater, where they both take improvisation classes. Photo courtesy Jeff Quintana

While some students regret making mistakes, senior Morgan Roger’s change in majors eventually helped her realize her dreams of being a comedian and even creating her own sitcom.

After figuring out that her passion for television is her primary interest, Roger switched from studying exercise physiology to majoring in motion pictures. She then became a director and associate producer of UMTV’s “Off the Wire,” as well as a performer at Villain Theater, which focuses on improvisation-styled comedy.

When she switched majors, Roger was introduced to yet another one of her interests – comedy. Watching comedy films reminded her how much she loves putting smiles on people’s faces, she said.

“I’ve always loved making people laugh,” Roger said. “That’s always been something I enjoyed doing and it’s a gift also. To get a laugh from a room is one of my favorite things.”

Her involvement with the Villain Theater began after she performed at MicroTheater Miami – a downtown spot supporting the work of locals – alongside the artistic director, Jeff Quintana. Quintana encouraged her to continue in her path by taking classes at the theater. After finishing her beginners’ class she auditioned for the Performance Intensive class, which allowed her to gain more experience performing in front of audiences.

“At first it’s intimidating to get out there because it is improv,” she said. “We have no idea what’s going to happen, so I thought it was best to sit back, watch and learn, but Jeff throws us out there because that’s the only way we’ll get better.”

Each class consists of learning new improvisation formats. Once the concept is understood, the students then use it as a base for their comedy. The next step is to hold a conversation full of one liners and small jokes based on a suggested theme.

Through these classes, Roger has learned the importance of a team effort and full participation from everyone for a successful show, she said.

As for preparation for her acts, Roger doesn’t have any pre-performance rituals. She doesn’t worry too much about messing up since she’s still learning the tools of the trade.

“It’s just like having a bad game in high school in basketball or something,” she said. “You learn from it, shake it off and say I’m coming back tomorrow to do some more. It’s not always perfect, but you have to get over it.”

Roger’s inspiration comes from comedians Tina Fey and Amy Poehler, who she feels have the same comedic style as her own, and more importantly, are great people outside of their craft.

“I didn’t think that I had any chance or shot working in television or film and I didn’t think it existed,” Roger said. “The Tina Feys and the Amy Poehlers, they only got to be the Tina Feys and Amy Poehlers because they did it. So, I was just like, I’m going to do it.”

Despite the fact that a college education isn’t necessarily a prerequisite for entering the comedy field, Roger is happy that she is getting a degree.

“I’ve learned so much from it,” she said. “I don’t think I would’ve been able to realize that I wanted to be a comedian, and I don’t think that I would’ve been so confident going into that world.”

She hopes to one day create her own sitcom, and to do so she says she needs to know the ins and outs of television as well as comedy.

To catch Roger in the act, you can find her Saturday nights at Villain Theater located at 8325 N.E. Second Ave. in Miami.

Nadijah Campbell

A day after practicing in the Carol Soffer Football Indoor Practice Facility for the first time in s ...

It appears that at least one LSU receiver won’t be available at the University of Miami football ope ...

After the Miami Hurricanes football team spent part of its practice on Monday in a torrential downpo ...

Nothing like a comic book cover on steroids to get University of Miami and LSU football fans juiced ...

They are two big bodies with experience, but new to the University of Miami. And the Miami Hurricane ...

Intergroup Dialogue, soon to be offered as a course, fosters a sense of belonging, an appreciation f ...

Aretha Franklin and her music defined “what is soul” to generations of music lovers. ...

The University of Miami kicked into high gear to welcome thousands of new students and ensure move-i ...

UM President Julio Frenk welcomes first-year and transfer students to UM in signature ’Cane Kickoff ...

Miami Law conducts its inaugural Legal Impact Hack for first-year students. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team won its exhibition match over FIU, 3-0, Saturday at the Knig ...

Coming off a road win in its season opener, the University of Miami soccer team will welcome crossto ...

In head coach Sarah Barnes' debut at the helm, the University of Miami soccer team won its seas ...

The Hurricanes practiced in the Carol Soffer Indoor Practice Facility for the first time ever on Fri ...

Malik Rosier, Travis Homer and Ahmmon Richards are key returning playmakers, but they are just the b ...