Sports, Volleyball

Canes defeat Seminoles 3-1 in crucial ACC matchup

The Hurricanes defeated the No. 17 Florida State University (FSU) Seminoles 3-1 on Wednesday. It was the team’s second meeting with FSU after they lost to the Seminoles 3-2 in September.

“We’re both a little different teams and it was nice to play at home,” Head Coach Jose Gandara said. “I think we were a little more consistent this time around.”

It was a monster match for several Miami hitters. Senior outside hitter Taylor Scott finished with 20 kills, sophomore outside hitter Olga Strantzali with 16 and redshirt junior outside hitter Kelsie Groot with 15. The crowd at this match far outnumbered any previous crowd at home this season.

“It was awesome because in Greece we don’t have these crowds, so it was weird for me, but I love it,” Strantzali said, a native of Greece.

The Canes started off slowly in the first set, losing 25-20. In game two, the team was down 17-12 at one point before getting its groove back and winning 25-23. Game three was the defining moment in the match when Scott helped to rally the team to a 28-26 win with four kills late after they fell behind in the beginning. In the final game, the Canes dominated 25-14, with more kills from Scott and clutch serving from Strantzali.

“I knew that my team needed me and I just hit my shot. I trusted that my teammates were going to be behind to cover if I got blocked, so I had all the confidence going up,” Scott said when asked about the pivotal kills she got in the third set.

Florida State is one of the toughest offensive and blocking teams in the nation, but senior libero Kalysta White was ready for the challenge.

“In practice this week we’ve been really emphasizing covering our hitters, so that was my goal this game,” White said.

The team faces division rival Virginia at 7 p.m. Friday at the Knight Sports Complex. Gandara is confident that the team will secure another conference win. “I expect good things for this weekend,” he said.

Rachel Cox-Rosen

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Listeners to UM President Julio Frenk’s State of the U reacted positively to the message and the Uni ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Tropical storm scientists and climate experts at the University of Miami provided insight, observati ...

Joseph Ganitsky, a professor in the Miami Business School, examines the financial crisis facing Arge ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...