Dance, Edge

Miami City Ballet celebrates 30th anniversary with three-part performance

For the 30th anniversary opening night of the Miami City Ballet on Oct. 23, the dance company featured a repertoire representing the “past, present and future” through a series of three distinct ballets. These consisted of “Swan Lake,” “Viscera” (a contemporary piece) and “Fancy Free” (a theatrical piece).

As one of the premiere ballet companies in the nation, Miami City Ballet boasts masterpieces from the 19th, 20th and 21st centuries, performed and commissioned by artists at the forefront of the industry.

The celebratory night began with the timeless “Swan Lake,” choreographed by the prolific George Balanchine and performed by Simone Messmer and Rainer Krenstetter. Stripped of its conventional mime sequences, the ballet featured highly dramatic music, an animated background set and an incredibly talented corps de ballet to tell a romantic story of loss and love.

ON POINTE: Simone Messmer and Rainer Krenstetter in “Swan Lake.” Photo Courtesy Gene Schiavone.

“Viscera,” the second piece performed, is a contemporary ballet choreographed by Liam Scarlett, the youngest choreographer to have been commissioned to create a new ballet. “Viscera” offered the audience a fresh and sensual take on the generally more traditional art form. Featuring high kicks, fast footwork and a challenging musical score, Viscera exuded passion and energy.

MID-AIR: Jennifer Kronenberg and Carlos Guerra in “Viscera.” Photo Courtesy Gene Schiavone.

“The movements they did showed so much emotion,” said freshman Vyvyan Prado, who attended the opening night. “It’s not like they did crazy turns and leaps the whole time like typical ballet, but their acrobatic movements were just as powerful.”

The dance that finished the night had the audience laughing throughout the act. Named “Fancy Free,” the performance is often referred to as the quintessential American theatrical ballet.

“I liked it because it was a nice contemporary piece and included comedic elements,” freshman Ashley Brooks said.

Set in wartime at a bar, the ballet follows three sailors and their mischievous pursuit of women during their 24-hour leave. With a brash and lively cast and an equally vibrant music score, this jazzy ragtag piece provides the perfect mix of classical and vernacular dance.

Shows during this ballet season at the Miami City Ballet run until April 2016 and include a range of works from the last three centuries.

Ramya Radhakrishnan

The losses keep coming for Miami Hurricanes football and Mark Richt. And this feels like the biggest ...

The University of Miami is losing the architect of one of the nation’s best defenses. UM defensive c ...

The postseason acknowledgments continue to roll in for Gerald Willis. The Miami Hurricanes defensive ...

It is recruiting season in college football, and the Miami Hurricanes have one particular commitment ...

The early signing period is right around the corner and the Miami Hurricanes have plenty of work to ...

During a news conference Wednesday, a UM medical team talked about the clinical findings after exami ...

Your one-stop shop for University of Miami fall commencement information. ...

The University of Miami will welcome more than 1,000 new graduates into the UM alumni family during ...

A UM medical team has released the first report of acute symptoms and clinical findings in 25 person ...

UM public relations students unveiled their plans to reposition March for Our Lives to attract colle ...

The Miami women's basketball team ascended one position in each of the major national polls thi ...

Gerald Willis III added to his postseason awards list, picking up second-team All-America honors fro ...

Following its longest break of the season thus far, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team ...

Miami head women's tennis coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews announced Friday the signing of two players ...

After a six-day layoff, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team will be back in action Sund ...