Soccer, Sports

Hurricanes lose 2-0 to No. 8 North Carolina on senior day

Senior and team co-captain Natalie Moik (10) drives past North Carolina defenders during Saturday's game at Cobb Stadium. The Canes were defeated 2-0 during the final match of their season. Kawan Amelung // Staff Photographer

Senior and team co-captain Natalie Moik (10) drives past North Carolina defenders during Saturday’s game at Cobb Stadium. The Canes were defeated 2-0 during the final match of their season. Kawan Amelung // Staff Photographer

The soccer team closed out its season on Saturday night with a 2-0 loss to the No. 8 ranked North Carolina Tar Heels. The defeat resulted in the Canes’ season ending with a 5-12-0 overall record and 2-8-0 in ACC play.

“There was a lot of emotion out here today. Anybody knows it on senior day, you have a lot going through your head,” Head Coach Mary-Frances Monroe said to HurricaneSports.com after the game. “You want to play well, you want to compete. And to have one of the top teams in the country come in for senior day, it definitely puts some pressure on you, but the team was ready and prepared and excited to get on the field.”

The team played well despite missing junior forward Gracie Lachowecki, who is ranked third in the ACC in goals and points. Lachowecki clearly emerged this season as Miami’s most valuable offensive weapon. She accounted for half of the team’s offense this season, having scored 12 of the team’s 24 overall goals.

As for the rest of the team, senior forward Amy Schmidt ended the season with four goals, redshirt senior midfielder Erin McGovern scored three and sophomore midfielder Grace Rapp scored two. The following seniors suited up for the Canes for the final time on Saturday night: McGovern, Schmidt, forward Ava Ambrose, defender Natalie Moik and forward Jasmine Paterson.

“I said to them at the end of the game, it’s been an absolute pleasure coaching them and an absolute pleasure watching them grow,” Monroe said to HurricaneSports.com. “I think that the last three seasons that I’ve had them, I can honestly say every single one of them has gotten better and improved as a soccer player, improved as a person and improved at being a leader. So I’m really proud of them and I’m going to miss them.”

The Canes still have much to work on, namely their goal-shot ratio and shooting percentage. They also need to be more aggressive offensively early in the game, as 16 of Miami’s 24 goals and 144 of the team’s 225 shot attempts came in either the second half or overtime periods.

However, the Canes still posted better numbers this season in almost every statistical category compared to last year’s group. Star forward Lachowecki is returning for next season as well as redshirt freshman goalie Phallon Tullis-Joyce, who saved over half of the shots attempted on her this season.

“A lot of people have watched a lot of our games, especially being on ESPN3. We have played great soccer,” Monroe said. “I’m just really proud of them.”

Rachel Cox-Rosen

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

The No. 21 University of Miami and FIU have met twice in football. But, oh, what a history they have ...

When University of Miami star safety Jaquan Johnson, thought by many to be the best player on the te ...

University of Miami backup tailback DeeJay Dallas, who had his first career 100-yard rushing game Sa ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Listeners to UM President Julio Frenk’s State of the U reacted positively to the message and the Uni ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Tropical storm scientists and climate experts at the University of Miami provided insight, observati ...

Joseph Ganitsky, a professor in the Miami Business School, examines the financial crisis facing Arge ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...

The University of Miami women's golf team concluded Sunday with a sixth-place finish at the 35t ...

The University of Miami golf team is in sixth after the first two rounds of play at the 35th annual ...