Soccer, Sports

Hurricanes lose 2-0 to No. 8 North Carolina on senior day

Senior and team co-captain Natalie Moik (10) drives past North Carolina defenders during Saturday's game at Cobb Stadium. The Canes were defeated 2-0 during the final match of their season. Kawan Amelung // Staff Photographer

Senior and team co-captain Natalie Moik (10) drives past North Carolina defenders during Saturday’s game at Cobb Stadium. The Canes were defeated 2-0 during the final match of their season. Kawan Amelung // Staff Photographer

The soccer team closed out its season on Saturday night with a 2-0 loss to the No. 8 ranked North Carolina Tar Heels. The defeat resulted in the Canes’ season ending with a 5-12-0 overall record and 2-8-0 in ACC play.

“There was a lot of emotion out here today. Anybody knows it on senior day, you have a lot going through your head,” Head Coach Mary-Frances Monroe said to HurricaneSports.com after the game. “You want to play well, you want to compete. And to have one of the top teams in the country come in for senior day, it definitely puts some pressure on you, but the team was ready and prepared and excited to get on the field.”

The team played well despite missing junior forward Gracie Lachowecki, who is ranked third in the ACC in goals and points. Lachowecki clearly emerged this season as Miami’s most valuable offensive weapon. She accounted for half of the team’s offense this season, having scored 12 of the team’s 24 overall goals.

As for the rest of the team, senior forward Amy Schmidt ended the season with four goals, redshirt senior midfielder Erin McGovern scored three and sophomore midfielder Grace Rapp scored two. The following seniors suited up for the Canes for the final time on Saturday night: McGovern, Schmidt, forward Ava Ambrose, defender Natalie Moik and forward Jasmine Paterson.

“I said to them at the end of the game, it’s been an absolute pleasure coaching them and an absolute pleasure watching them grow,” Monroe said to HurricaneSports.com. “I think that the last three seasons that I’ve had them, I can honestly say every single one of them has gotten better and improved as a soccer player, improved as a person and improved at being a leader. So I’m really proud of them and I’m going to miss them.”

The Canes still have much to work on, namely their goal-shot ratio and shooting percentage. They also need to be more aggressive offensively early in the game, as 16 of Miami’s 24 goals and 144 of the team’s 225 shot attempts came in either the second half or overtime periods.

However, the Canes still posted better numbers this season in almost every statistical category compared to last year’s group. Star forward Lachowecki is returning for next season as well as redshirt freshman goalie Phallon Tullis-Joyce, who saved over half of the shots attempted on her this season.

“A lot of people have watched a lot of our games, especially being on ESPN3. We have played great soccer,” Monroe said. “I’m just really proud of them.”

Rachel Cox-Rosen

Friday was strange for Gino DiMare. It wasn’t because his whole family went out to the mound at Alex ...

One thing was obvious to Wayne Younger the first time he got his hands on Ladarius Tennison: The ath ...

Though it’s early, UM already has assembled an outstanding nine-member 2020 recruiting class, a grou ...

Three days before they open their season against the Rutgers Scarlet Knights, the Miami Hurricanes h ...

The first half of Wednesday night’s game was as lousy as the weather outside the Watsco Center, as t ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The University of Miami baseball team opened the Gino DiMare era with a record-setting victory over ...

The Canes open the 75th season in program history and first under the direction of head coach Gino D ...

Game time is 6 p.m. in Chestnut Hill, Mass. ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team will play its second top-five foe in a span of three g ...

The University of Miami golf team heads to the Big Easy to open competition Sunday at the 2019 Allst ...