Soccer, Sports

Hurricanes lose 2-0 to No. 8 North Carolina on senior day

Senior and team co-captain Natalie Moik (10) drives past North Carolina defenders during Saturday's game at Cobb Stadium. The Canes were defeated 2-0 during the final match of their season. Kawan Amelung // Staff Photographer

Senior and team co-captain Natalie Moik (10) drives past North Carolina defenders during Saturday’s game at Cobb Stadium. The Canes were defeated 2-0 during the final match of their season. Kawan Amelung // Staff Photographer

The soccer team closed out its season on Saturday night with a 2-0 loss to the No. 8 ranked North Carolina Tar Heels. The defeat resulted in the Canes’ season ending with a 5-12-0 overall record and 2-8-0 in ACC play.

“There was a lot of emotion out here today. Anybody knows it on senior day, you have a lot going through your head,” Head Coach Mary-Frances Monroe said to HurricaneSports.com after the game. “You want to play well, you want to compete. And to have one of the top teams in the country come in for senior day, it definitely puts some pressure on you, but the team was ready and prepared and excited to get on the field.”

The team played well despite missing junior forward Gracie Lachowecki, who is ranked third in the ACC in goals and points. Lachowecki clearly emerged this season as Miami’s most valuable offensive weapon. She accounted for half of the team’s offense this season, having scored 12 of the team’s 24 overall goals.

As for the rest of the team, senior forward Amy Schmidt ended the season with four goals, redshirt senior midfielder Erin McGovern scored three and sophomore midfielder Grace Rapp scored two. The following seniors suited up for the Canes for the final time on Saturday night: McGovern, Schmidt, forward Ava Ambrose, defender Natalie Moik and forward Jasmine Paterson.

“I said to them at the end of the game, it’s been an absolute pleasure coaching them and an absolute pleasure watching them grow,” Monroe said to HurricaneSports.com. “I think that the last three seasons that I’ve had them, I can honestly say every single one of them has gotten better and improved as a soccer player, improved as a person and improved at being a leader. So I’m really proud of them and I’m going to miss them.”

The Canes still have much to work on, namely their goal-shot ratio and shooting percentage. They also need to be more aggressive offensively early in the game, as 16 of Miami’s 24 goals and 144 of the team’s 225 shot attempts came in either the second half or overtime periods.

However, the Canes still posted better numbers this season in almost every statistical category compared to last year’s group. Star forward Lachowecki is returning for next season as well as redshirt freshman goalie Phallon Tullis-Joyce, who saved over half of the shots attempted on her this season.

“A lot of people have watched a lot of our games, especially being on ESPN3. We have played great soccer,” Monroe said. “I’m just really proud of them.”

Rachel Cox-Rosen

It was maybe coincidence, but positioned just behind his left shoulder as Tyrique Stevenson spoke ab ...

The Miami Hurricanes unveiled a new turnover chain this season, replacing the bedazzled “U” that han ...

Before now, the last time the Miami Hurricanes scored 21 or fewer points in four consecutive games w ...

Keontra Smith waited a long time for the Miami Hurricnaes to finally offer him. The defensive back g ...

University of Miami true freshman running back Cam’ron Davis, known as Cam for short, is about to lo ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

UM Professor of Law Frances R. Hill tells us what we should know. ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team is headed to Iowa State for the Preseason WNIT champio ...

The Canes hit the road for the final time in the 2018 regular season and it is to a familiar and hos ...

The Canes top the Golden Eagles to move onto the WNIT Championship game. ...

Miami wraps up its season-opening homestand with a 2 p.m. Saturday matchup against Bethune-Cookman a ...

University of Miami head golf coach Patti Rizzo announced Thursday the signing of three golfers to N ...