Football, Sports

ACC suspends officiating crew after Miami-Duke game-winning touchdown

The ACC suspended the officiating crew as well as the replay official and communicator for two games following the Hurricanes game against Duke on Saturday night, the conference announced Sunday morning. The officiating crew committed a “series of errors” in Miami’s game-winning touchdown on a kickoff return with no time left on the clock, according to the ACC.

“The quality of our officiating program is of the highest importance to the league and its schools, and the last play of the game was not handled appropriately,” ACC Commissioner John Swofford said in a statement. “Officiating is an extraordinarily difficult job but our players, coaches, programs and fans deserve the best that can be offered. We will continue to strive to meet that standard.”

According to the ACC, the officials committed four errors on the final play. The replay official should have ruled Mark Walton’s knee was down before lateralling the ball. The on-field officials failed to penalize the Hurricanes for an illegal block back at Miami’s 16-yard line. The referee did not properly communicate why the flag that was thrown for a block in the black was picked up when the officials determined it was a legal block. Finally, the on-field crew did not penalize Miami for a player leaving the bench and running onto the field while the play was still going.

Miami beat Duke 30-27 as a result of the touchdown. According to ESPN reporter Andrea Adelson, the league does not have the authority to overturn the result of the game.

This was the team’s response to the announcement by the ACC:

Mark Singer

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Listeners to UM President Julio Frenk’s State of the U reacted positively to the message and the Uni ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Tropical storm scientists and climate experts at the University of Miami provided insight, observati ...

Joseph Ganitsky, a professor in the Miami Business School, examines the financial crisis facing Arge ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...