Football, Sports

ACC suspends officiating crew after Miami-Duke game-winning touchdown

The ACC suspended the officiating crew as well as the replay official and communicator for two games following the Hurricanes game against Duke on Saturday night, the conference announced Sunday morning. The officiating crew committed a “series of errors” in Miami’s game-winning touchdown on a kickoff return with no time left on the clock, according to the ACC.

“The quality of our officiating program is of the highest importance to the league and its schools, and the last play of the game was not handled appropriately,” ACC Commissioner John Swofford said in a statement. “Officiating is an extraordinarily difficult job but our players, coaches, programs and fans deserve the best that can be offered. We will continue to strive to meet that standard.”

According to the ACC, the officials committed four errors on the final play. The replay official should have ruled Mark Walton’s knee was down before lateralling the ball. The on-field officials failed to penalize the Hurricanes for an illegal block back at Miami’s 16-yard line. The referee did not properly communicate why the flag that was thrown for a block in the black was picked up when the officials determined it was a legal block. Finally, the on-field crew did not penalize Miami for a player leaving the bench and running onto the field while the play was still going.

Miami beat Duke 30-27 as a result of the touchdown. According to ESPN reporter Andrea Adelson, the league does not have the authority to overturn the result of the game.

This was the team’s response to the announcement by the ACC:

Mark Singer

It was maybe coincidence, but positioned just behind his left shoulder as Tyrique Stevenson spoke ab ...

The Miami Hurricanes unveiled a new turnover chain this season, replacing the bedazzled “U” that han ...

Before now, the last time the Miami Hurricanes scored 21 or fewer points in four consecutive games w ...

Keontra Smith waited a long time for the Miami Hurricnaes to finally offer him. The defensive back g ...

University of Miami true freshman running back Cam’ron Davis, known as Cam for short, is about to lo ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

UM Professor of Law Frances R. Hill tells us what we should know. ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team is headed to Iowa State for the Preseason WNIT champio ...

The Canes hit the road for the final time in the 2018 regular season and it is to a familiar and hos ...

The Canes top the Golden Eagles to move onto the WNIT Championship game. ...

Miami wraps up its season-opening homestand with a 2 p.m. Saturday matchup against Bethune-Cookman a ...

University of Miami head golf coach Patti Rizzo announced Thursday the signing of three golfers to N ...