Campus Life, News

Homecoming Week kicks off with opening ceremonies

The week has finally come. The annual campus-wide event, Homecoming week arrived Friday afternoon and a festive opening ceremony was held at the Rathskeller bar to kick-start the week that welcomes back alumni and celebrates the school.

The opening ceremony at The Rat was packed with members of student organizations Friday, with the honor society Omnicron Delta Kappa ringing in the week with the chimes of its bell and students singing their cheer songs as they tried to hype up their members. Homecoming’s theme is “For My City” and for the opening ceremonies, each student organization had to create a model of a famous location in the city of Miami that was assigned to them by the Homecoming Executive Committee (HEC).

For each student organization it was important to make a good first impression, for the winner of the opening ceremonies gets 50 points, which help determine the overall homecoming winner.

The reigning champions of last year’s Homecoming, Federación de Estudiantes Cubanos (FEC), started the week off strong by taking first place for their model of Marlins Stadium. They used plastic, cardboard and dominoes to represent the Cuban culture and clay from the stadium to make a knee-high model.

“We were super excited to get the building, the hardest part was what to make it out of, but we decided to use the recyclable cardboard and dominoes to represent what our organization is about,” said Christian Perez, the FEC member in charge of making the structure. “We won two years in a row so we want to do a three-peat, and hearing we got first place puts us in a great start. We are so happy.”

Coming in second was the Council of International Studios and Organizations (COISO), which made a model of Sun Life stadium using cardboard for the exterior, printer toners for lamps around the stadium and paper mache for the grass.

“The building process was challenging, to create different layers of the stadium and cutting the toners was difficult. But it was rewarding to see our efforts recognized,” Rick Lin, the COISO representative for Homecoming, said. “We wanted to accurately portray the stadium, which all students of Miami love. Many memories have been created for the students and the athletes.”

Heather Stevens, assistant to the vice president of student affairs, Teddy L’Houtelier, sustainability manager at UM and Shelley Pamphile, administrative assistant of The Rat judged the models based on the materials used — which had to be recyclable — and creativity.

“As Miami Hurricanes we care for our city, the university and our fellow Canes,” Vice President of Student Affairs Patricia Whitely said.

The action-packed week has fun events where student organizations compete against each other and display their talents, participate in community service and show their spirit to campus to get as many points possible for their organizations.

Homecoming Week Schedule

Friday (Oct. 30):
– Opening ceremonies at The Rat – 6 p.m.
– Alma Mater at Shalala Student Center Ballroom – 7 p.m.

Saturday (Oct. 31):
– Hurricanes Help the Hometown at various locations around Miami – 9 a.m.

Monday (Nov. 2):
– King and Queen pageant at the Shalala Student Center Grand Ballroom – 7 p.m.

Tuesday (Nov. 3):
– Organized Cheer at the Lakeside Patio – 7 p.m.

Wednesday (Nov. 4):
– Storm Warning at Lakeside Patio – 6 p.m.

Friday (Nov. 6):
– Parade at Merrick Drive – 7 p.m.

Saturday (Nov. 7):
– Homecoming football game vs. University of Virginia Cavaliers at Sun Life Stadium – 3 p.m.

Feature photo courtesy Pixabay user PublicDomainPictures.

Marcus Lim

The Marlins — along with a handful of other teams — haven’t signed a single player from another team ...

The 2019 Miami Hurricanes coaching staff is now in place and ready to rumble. Though the Hurricanes ...

The last time Tyree St. Louis played something other than tackle, by coincidence, was the last time ...

Manny Diaz might as well have been the head of the National Weather Service on Tuesday. At 7:27 p.m. ...

Even after landing Ohio State transfer Tate Martell, the Hurricanes aren’t done looking for quarterb ...

On Dec. 14, 2018 universal health care programs in both the United States and Mexico were dealt sign ...

For the first time in more than 15 years, two of UMTV’s weekly shows were nominated for the Televisi ...

The singer, songwriter, actress, and entrepreneur will share insights and advice from her more than ...

Miami Transplant Institute performed 681 transplants during 2018, setting a new national record in k ...

Jazz aficionados launch new video series by sharing invaluable performance techniques. ...

"We're excited to welcome these coaches to the Miami family," Diaz said. ...

Canes have won six of last 10 meetings with UNC. ...

The Miami women's basketball team earned its first victory at Cameron Indoor Stadium with a 58- ...

Miami released its 2019 football schedule highlighted by a season-opening matchup against Florida in ...

University of Miami Athletics announced Thursday that ESPN reporter and UM alumna Allison Williams w ...