Sports, Volleyball

Canes volleyball prevails 3-2 over Virginia Tech Hokies

The Hurricanes prevailed 3-2 over Virginia Tech in a nail-biter in Blacksburg, Virginia on Friday night.

The Canes took the opening set 25-22 only to see the Hokies come right back in the second for a 25-19 win. Virgina Tech easily took the third set 25-16, but Miami battled back to take the final two sets 25-17 and 15-13.

Senior outside hitter Taylor Scott led the Canes offensively with 18 kills, while senior libero Kalysta White delivered impressive defensive play with 21 digs.

Early in the first set, the Hokies came back from a two-point deficit to take away Miami’s short-lived lead. An offensive battle between both teams ensued as they rallied back and forth. The Canes were finally able to break away, maintaining a small lead the rest of the way until finally winning the opener 25-22.

Miami and Virginia Tech traded impressive digs in the hard-fought second set. The Hokies were able to gain momentum before the Canes, however, and ran away with the second set for a 25-19 win.

With their momentum found in the second set, Virginia Tech dominated the third set and led the entire way. The Canes’ difficulty communicating as a team on the court led to struggles both offensively and defensively. Virginia Tech delivered impressive blocks and kill to claim the third set 25-16.

Unwilling to succumb to the Hokies, the Canes answered by delivering an equally dominating fourth set. Finding their offensive rhythm, the Canes led the entire fourth set, demonstrating their dynamics as a team for a 25-17 victory.

After Virginia Tech jumped out to an early lead in the final set, Miami battled back to win the set 15-13, and the match 3-2.

The Canes next play Pittsburgh at 1 p.m. Sunday in Pennsylvania.

Alyssa Cruz

Instead of in-person celebrations at Hard Rock Stadium, President Julio Frenk announced that the University of Miami will hold its four observances online because of updated COVID-19 data. ...

The newly chartered Peruvian Students Association seeks to expand its impact and influence beyond campus, supporting protests against education cutbacks in the South American country and connecting students across the United States to their Andean roots. ...

Leyna Stemle found that by attaching green LED lights to fishing nets in Ghana, the illumination was able to divert most of the reptiles from becoming entangled and hurt. ...

As the world observes the 32nd annual World AIDS Day, a University of Miami team is shining a bright light on a neighborhood initiative to curtail the epidemic. ...

With the acquisition of the new instrument and an accompanying nanoindenter, studies at the College of Engineering are entering a new and advanced era of materials characterization. ...