Sports, Volleyball

Canes volleyball prevails 3-2 over Virginia Tech Hokies

The Hurricanes prevailed 3-2 over Virginia Tech in a nail-biter in Blacksburg, Virginia on Friday night.

The Canes took the opening set 25-22 only to see the Hokies come right back in the second for a 25-19 win. Virgina Tech easily took the third set 25-16, but Miami battled back to take the final two sets 25-17 and 15-13.

Senior outside hitter Taylor Scott led the Canes offensively with 18 kills, while senior libero Kalysta White delivered impressive defensive play with 21 digs.

Early in the first set, the Hokies came back from a two-point deficit to take away Miami’s short-lived lead. An offensive battle between both teams ensued as they rallied back and forth. The Canes were finally able to break away, maintaining a small lead the rest of the way until finally winning the opener 25-22.

Miami and Virginia Tech traded impressive digs in the hard-fought second set. The Hokies were able to gain momentum before the Canes, however, and ran away with the second set for a 25-19 win.

With their momentum found in the second set, Virginia Tech dominated the third set and led the entire way. The Canes’ difficulty communicating as a team on the court led to struggles both offensively and defensively. Virginia Tech delivered impressive blocks and kill to claim the third set 25-16.

Unwilling to succumb to the Hokies, the Canes answered by delivering an equally dominating fourth set. Finding their offensive rhythm, the Canes led the entire fourth set, demonstrating their dynamics as a team for a 25-17 victory.

After Virginia Tech jumped out to an early lead in the final set, Miami battled back to win the set 15-13, and the match 3-2.

The Canes next play Pittsburgh at 1 p.m. Sunday in Pennsylvania.

Alyssa Cruz

Friday was strange for Gino DiMare. It wasn’t because his whole family went out to the mound at Alex ...

One thing was obvious to Wayne Younger the first time he got his hands on Ladarius Tennison: The ath ...

Though it’s early, UM already has assembled an outstanding nine-member 2020 recruiting class, a grou ...

Three days before they open their season against the Rutgers Scarlet Knights, the Miami Hurricanes h ...

The first half of Wednesday night’s game was as lousy as the weather outside the Watsco Center, as t ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The University of Miami baseball team opened the Gino DiMare era with a record-setting victory over ...

The Canes open the 75th season in program history and first under the direction of head coach Gino D ...

Game time is 6 p.m. in Chestnut Hill, Mass. ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team will play its second top-five foe in a span of three g ...

The University of Miami golf team heads to the Big Easy to open competition Sunday at the 2019 Allst ...