Sports, Volleyball

Canes volleyball prevails 3-2 over Virginia Tech Hokies

The Hurricanes prevailed 3-2 over Virginia Tech in a nail-biter in Blacksburg, Virginia on Friday night.

The Canes took the opening set 25-22 only to see the Hokies come right back in the second for a 25-19 win. Virgina Tech easily took the third set 25-16, but Miami battled back to take the final two sets 25-17 and 15-13.

Senior outside hitter Taylor Scott led the Canes offensively with 18 kills, while senior libero Kalysta White delivered impressive defensive play with 21 digs.

Early in the first set, the Hokies came back from a two-point deficit to take away Miami’s short-lived lead. An offensive battle between both teams ensued as they rallied back and forth. The Canes were finally able to break away, maintaining a small lead the rest of the way until finally winning the opener 25-22.

Miami and Virginia Tech traded impressive digs in the hard-fought second set. The Hokies were able to gain momentum before the Canes, however, and ran away with the second set for a 25-19 win.

With their momentum found in the second set, Virginia Tech dominated the third set and led the entire way. The Canes’ difficulty communicating as a team on the court led to struggles both offensively and defensively. Virginia Tech delivered impressive blocks and kill to claim the third set 25-16.

Unwilling to succumb to the Hokies, the Canes answered by delivering an equally dominating fourth set. Finding their offensive rhythm, the Canes led the entire fourth set, demonstrating their dynamics as a team for a 25-17 victory.

After Virginia Tech jumped out to an early lead in the final set, Miami battled back to win the set 15-13, and the match 3-2.

The Canes next play Pittsburgh at 1 p.m. Sunday in Pennsylvania.

Alyssa Cruz

The Atlantic Coast Conference Baseball Championship schedule is set. The No. 4 seed Miami Hurricanes ...

The first regular season of Gino DiMare’s head-coaching era ended Saturday at Mark Light Field. But ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ hopes for hosting an NCAA regional were damaged a bit on Friday night by a 12- ...

It took a long time for Dewan Hernandez to reach a point of acceptance for what happened to his juni ...

The life of a fullback isn’t always glamorous, even 15 years ago before the position was essentially ...

The University of Miami is shaping the future of education by using innovative approaches that drive ...

Six short films created by University of Miami film students will be screened in Los Angeles this we ...

Researchers from 16 Latin American and Caribbean countries, hosted by the Institute for the Advanced ...

Two University of Miami a cappella groups, Tufaan and BisCaydence, celebrated big wins in different ...

After Alabama’s governor signed into law the most-stringent anti-abortion bill in the nation, UM exp ...

The Canes are the top team in Pool D, joined by No. 5 North Carolina and No. 9 Virginia. ...

The matchups are set for the NCAA Singles Championship and NCAA Doubles Championship at the USTA Nat ...

Chris McMahon struck out six over five shutout innings to earn his first win since April 6. ...

Miami's Second Varsity Four earned a bronze medal at the 2019 ACC Rowing Championships Saturday ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team is the ITA Southeast Region Arthur Ashe ...