Blogs, WCGSports

WCGSports: New era begins for Miami football after Golden

The devastating 58-0 loss to Clemson on Saturday signaled the end of former Head Coach Al Golden’s tenure at the University of Miami.

Golden, unlike previous Head Coach Randy Shannon, failed to lead the Canes back to the national championship or a major Bowl Championship Series game, like the Fiesta, Rose, Sugar and Orange bowls, within a four to five year span. Although firing Golden was a step toward changing the football program, there are not many signs that the football team will drastically improve in the second half of the season.

The real question is, who will lead the new era for the Miami Hurricanes?

We know that tight ends coach Larry Scott was named the interim head coach. It is likely that Director of Athletics Blake James will wait until the end of the season to search for a new coach. If Scott were to win the rest of the regular season and a bowl game, he might get a contract extension.

Some coaches that could potentially interview for the opening are Mario Cristobal, Greg Schiano and former UM Head Coach Butch Davis.

In my opinion, Cristobal is best suited to be head coach. He is a UM alum and previously worked with Miami’s offense as an offensive line and tight ends coach between 2004-06.

Despite an unsuccessful campaign as FIU’s head coach, Cristobal has been under the direction of University of Alabama’s Head Coach Nick Saban as an offensive line coach for the past three years. Because Cristobal has ties from the state of Florida, he could bring in Florida’s top recruits and potentially persuade athletes to choose UM instead of UF or FSU.

Next season will mark 15 years since the Canes last won a national championship. A new era is beginning for Hurricanes football as it will try to get back on the map as a college football powerhouse.

Now is the time to show our support, Canes fans. Our next home game, during homecoming, is on Saturday, Nov. 7 against the University of Virginia. Let’s pack Sun Life Stadium. We will soon see how the new era plays out, starting with Larry Scott.

Wyatt Geller

University of Miami professors who study water treatment and civil engineering say that water contam ...

University of Miami experts in health geography, law, and public health weigh in on some of the issu ...

The Class of 2023 Stamps Scholars begin their first year at the University of Miami. ...

With 102 events already on their calendar, new initiatives are also on the horizon for the Universit ...

Economic expert Paulo Leme analyzes last week’s economic downturn. ...

Senior linebackers Shaquille Quarterman, Michael Pinckney and Zach McCloud have already made history ...

The Hurricanes kick off their 2019 soccer campaign Thursday night against UTRGV. ...

Blake James details how Miami and Florida agreed to renew their rivalry with an upcoming home-and-ho ...

adidas x Miami announce continued collaboration with Parley for the Oceans ...

Canes legend Michael Irvin will be attendance for the event the night before the Miami-Florida game. ...