Blogs, WCGSports

WCGSports: New era begins for Miami football after Golden

The devastating 58-0 loss to Clemson on Saturday signaled the end of former Head Coach Al Golden’s tenure at the University of Miami.

Golden, unlike previous Head Coach Randy Shannon, failed to lead the Canes back to the national championship or a major Bowl Championship Series game, like the Fiesta, Rose, Sugar and Orange bowls, within a four to five year span. Although firing Golden was a step toward changing the football program, there are not many signs that the football team will drastically improve in the second half of the season.

The real question is, who will lead the new era for the Miami Hurricanes?

We know that tight ends coach Larry Scott was named the interim head coach. It is likely that Director of Athletics Blake James will wait until the end of the season to search for a new coach. If Scott were to win the rest of the regular season and a bowl game, he might get a contract extension.

Some coaches that could potentially interview for the opening are Mario Cristobal, Greg Schiano and former UM Head Coach Butch Davis.

In my opinion, Cristobal is best suited to be head coach. He is a UM alum and previously worked with Miami’s offense as an offensive line and tight ends coach between 2004-06.

Despite an unsuccessful campaign as FIU’s head coach, Cristobal has been under the direction of University of Alabama’s Head Coach Nick Saban as an offensive line coach for the past three years. Because Cristobal has ties from the state of Florida, he could bring in Florida’s top recruits and potentially persuade athletes to choose UM instead of UF or FSU.

Next season will mark 15 years since the Canes last won a national championship. A new era is beginning for Hurricanes football as it will try to get back on the map as a college football powerhouse.

Now is the time to show our support, Canes fans. Our next home game, during homecoming, is on Saturday, Nov. 7 against the University of Virginia. Let’s pack Sun Life Stadium. We will soon see how the new era plays out, starting with Larry Scott.

Wyatt Geller

A UM student retention task force is working to ensure that all first-year students feel at home. ...

A new School of Nursing and Health Studies’ initiative delivers critical health care for Miami’s hom ...

As part of the Leadership UMiami program, students heard from community leaders who spend their care ...

Miller School of Medicine doctors are providing assistance on Great Abaco Island, where survivors of ...

A recent presentation at the University’s Institute for Advanced Study of the Americas explored the ...

RSS Error: A feed could not be found at http://www.hurricanesports.com/rss.aspx. A feed with an invalid mime type may fall victim to this error, or SimplePie was unable to auto-discover it.. Use force_feed() if you are certain this URL is a real feed.