Blogs, WCGSports

WCGSports: New era begins for Miami football after Golden

The devastating 58-0 loss to Clemson on Saturday signaled the end of former Head Coach Al Golden’s tenure at the University of Miami.

Golden, unlike previous Head Coach Randy Shannon, failed to lead the Canes back to the national championship or a major Bowl Championship Series game, like the Fiesta, Rose, Sugar and Orange bowls, within a four to five year span. Although firing Golden was a step toward changing the football program, there are not many signs that the football team will drastically improve in the second half of the season.

The real question is, who will lead the new era for the Miami Hurricanes?

We know that tight ends coach Larry Scott was named the interim head coach. It is likely that Director of Athletics Blake James will wait until the end of the season to search for a new coach. If Scott were to win the rest of the regular season and a bowl game, he might get a contract extension.

Some coaches that could potentially interview for the opening are Mario Cristobal, Greg Schiano and former UM Head Coach Butch Davis.

In my opinion, Cristobal is best suited to be head coach. He is a UM alum and previously worked with Miami’s offense as an offensive line and tight ends coach between 2004-06.

Despite an unsuccessful campaign as FIU’s head coach, Cristobal has been under the direction of University of Alabama’s Head Coach Nick Saban as an offensive line coach for the past three years. Because Cristobal has ties from the state of Florida, he could bring in Florida’s top recruits and potentially persuade athletes to choose UM instead of UF or FSU.

Next season will mark 15 years since the Canes last won a national championship. A new era is beginning for Hurricanes football as it will try to get back on the map as a college football powerhouse.

Now is the time to show our support, Canes fans. Our next home game, during homecoming, is on Saturday, Nov. 7 against the University of Virginia. Let’s pack Sun Life Stadium. We will soon see how the new era plays out, starting with Larry Scott.

Wyatt Geller

The University of Miami community is invited to participate in several events to discuss crucial topics regarding social justice and racial equality, explored in Ijeoma Oluo’s best-seller. ...

University writing experts weigh in on the inaugural poem, written and recited by Amanda Gorman, a 22-year-old U.S. youth poet laureate. ...

The number of ambassadors has been increased from 75 to 100 as the University continues to support a safe environment and help students adhere to COVID-19 guidelines. ...

The series—which will feature experts discussing their groundbreaking research on corals, ocean and atmospheric science, and how climate change is forcing communities to alter their long-range plans—will begin this week. ...

Octavia Bridges—a 20-year veteran of the University of Miami Police Department and the first Black woman to serve as a lieutenant—has been promoted to oversee crime prevention and community relations on the Coral Gables Campus. ...