Campus Life, News

The Rival site launches, offers journalism opportunities

The Rival, an online publication produced by students “to give the students of University of Miami their voices back,” launched on Wednesday afternoon.

As part of an expansion, The Rival launched at eight new campuses Wednesday, including Duke University, George Mason University, Notre Dame University, American University, Howard University, Indiana University, Rochester University and UM.  It includes five distinct sections and a list of 16 students on its “About Us” page, where the mission statement reads: “To speak the language of UMiami students, to change the meaning of campus journalism, and to make you think, laugh, and think again.”

In 2014, the original publication launched at George Washington University “as a response to filtered and outdated traditional campus publications,” according to its website.

“Formerly DC-based, the Rival’s multi-campus expansion now allows students all over the country to speak freely about their student experiences and college culture, explore creative styles, and share ideas in a whole new way,” their website says.

Their sections are listed as “What []_[] Want: Satire/Health & Wellness/Sports/Campus News,” “Sh!T that Matters: Politics/International News/Current Events,” “411 on the 305: Miami Life” and “Bad Habits: Social Life/Guilty Pleasures.”

Staff members of The Rival at UM didn’t respond to email requests for comment.

The Rival can be found at https://umiami.therival.news.

Featured image courtesy The Rival

William Riggin

The series—which will feature experts discussing their groundbreaking research on corals, ocean and atmospheric science, and how climate change is forcing communities to alter their long-range plans—will begin this week. ...

Octavia Bridges, a 20-year veteran of the University of Miami Police Department, has been promoted to oversee crime prevention and community relations on the Coral Gables Campus. ...

The Jan. 6 Capitol insurrection has given social scientists and psychologists another example to examine the behavior and actions of groups. ...

Some experts believe that pent-up demand will push the economy into a rebound after the majority of the U.S. population receives the COVID-19 vaccine. ...

All students are required to test negative for COVID-19 before attending any in-person classes, programs, or work shifts on any University of Miami campus. With the start of classes Monday, here is the critical information students need to know. ...