Edge, Fashion

Raid your closet for this year’s Halloween costume

If you’re short on cash or tired of the Halloween shop options, try peeking in your own closet for costume inspiration. These five looks are built off of pieces you probably already have in your wardrobe.

detectivecostume

Detective

Against the chiding of others, you finally have an excuse to bring your trench coat to Miami. Pull off this suave look with some ‘70s separates, like a hound’s-tooth skirt and derby vest. A plaid cap and suede boots will keep this outfit cool and collected. If you’re still not looking ready to solve a case, grab a briefcase and a spyglass to polish off your detective getup.

costume1

Indiana Jones

This outfit is all about layers of beige. Throw on some khakis and a cream button-down, then add a brown windbreaker to get Indie’s signature style. Some hiking boots and an outdoorsy fedora will complete the look. Smudge a bit of dirt or eyeliner on your cheeks for an added effect.

piratecostume

Pirate

This outfit is a costume full of fall trends. Start with a lace-up peasant top and over-the-knee boots. Add some swashbuckling swag with a suede vest and skirt set. Don’t forget to deck yourself out in gold – a coin necklace and parrot pin will solidify your place as a pirate.

vmasmileycostume

VMAs Miley

This costume is marginally better than walking around naked. For decency, start with a nude bodysuit. Channel Miley’s glittery getup with a sequin skirt and duct tape across the chest. Accessorize with some clip-in dreads, faux crystals and a Wrecking Ball red lip.

princesscostume

Vintage Princess Leia

With the new “Star Wars” movie coming out, it’s the perfect time to pay homage to the classic princess. If you don’t have a long white robe, mimic the look with all-white separates. Add a cute gun clutch instead of lugging around a defender-sporting blaster pistol. The final touch is Leia’s signature side buns; you can always add a hairpiece if your locks aren’t quite up to par.

Haley Walker

Sebastian the Ibis of the University of Miami displayed tremendous defense in leading the Pizza Hut ...

June is one of the most important months in the recruiting calendar and the Miami Hurricanes finishe ...

A six-pack of notes from UM’s annual Paradise Camp on Saturday: ▪ Few Canes greats have as unique a ...

Paradise Camp continues to pay dividends for the Miami Hurricanes. As the camp wrapped up Saturday, ...

As Manny Diaz puts it, Paradise Camp is the Miami Hurricanes’ bridge between three generations. It s ...

In the first course of its kind on a college campus, faculty, staff, and students will learn if they ...

University of Miami Libraries is working to establish a University archive of LGBTQ materials. ...

University of Miami football players and coaches mentored area youth at a free football clinic in Ho ...

Some scientists fear that the new fifth generation of wireless networks interferes with critical sat ...

A new study led by Miller School professor Dr. Claes Wahlestedt observes that key molecular programs ...

Five members of the Miami women's tennis team earned All-ACC Academic Team distinction, as anno ...

Eight Miami Hurricanes were among those recognized by the conference with selections to the Track an ...

Franco Aubone and Francisco Bastias of the University of Miami men's tennis team were selected ...

UM forward Dewan Hernandez was selected 59th overall by the Toronto Raptors in the 2019 NBA Draft. ...

Check out the June edition of UM Athletics' e-magazine. ...