Edge, Food

Make frighteningly festive treats for Halloween

‘Tis the season for costumes, cobwebs and candy! You don’t need to go trick-or-treating this Halloween to enjoy some frighteningly festive food. These easy recipes will get you into the spooky spirit, no ghosts required.

For a twist on a fall classic, melt various candy bars of your choice in a saucepan, then dip apples into the pot. Insert a skewer into the top of the apples and allow the chocolate coating to harden in the refrigerator. Once cool, enjoy your customized candy apple treat!

For those who find high calorie counts to be ghoulish, make cute and healthy mini pumpkins by inserting a slim strip of celery into an unpeeled clementine.

Overwhelmed by M&M’s and Skittles? Savor a sweet and salty snack by making Halloween trail mix popcorn balls! Microwave marshmallows until they are melted and gooey, then stir in popcorn, M&M’s and Skittles. When they’re well-combined, shape the mixture into balls and allow to cool.

Can’t decide between cake, cookies or candy? Why choose? Mix chopped candy bars into the refrigerated cookie dough of your choice, then press into a store-bought pie crust. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes and reap the rewards of your indecision.

Featured image courtesy Pixabay user jp26jp

Madelyn Paquette

University of Miami fans no doubt are loving the Hurricanes’ two newest tight ends. What they’re pro ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Though UM wasn’t called for a single penalty against ...

Two of the best athletes and a freshman quarterback on the No. 21 University of Miami football team ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

With Jaquan Johnson still sidelined with a hamstring strain he suffered on Saturday against Toledo, ...

NASPA names UM as a Lead Advisory Institution for the seventh year in a row. ...

The trailer for a documentary exploring the relationships between UM students and Holocaust survivor ...

New technology could help workplaces and schools identify violent intruders before they enter the do ...

The 1983 national champions will be back on campus to celebrate the 35thanniversary of Miami's ...

Junior Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team opened the 2018 fall campaign fo ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will return to the courts Friday morning, opening up ...

The University of Miami soccer team fell to 12th-ranked Duke, 2-0, Thursday night in front a packed ...

The University of Miami volleyball program begins ACC play on Friday night against Wake Forest at 7 ...