Culture, Food

Make frighteningly festive treats for Halloween

‘Tis the season for costumes, cobwebs and candy! You don’t need to go trick-or-treating this Halloween to enjoy some frighteningly festive food. These easy recipes will get you into the spooky spirit, no ghosts required.

For a twist on a fall classic, melt various candy bars of your choice in a saucepan, then dip apples into the pot. Insert a skewer into the top of the apples and allow the chocolate coating to harden in the refrigerator. Once cool, enjoy your customized candy apple treat!

For those who find high calorie counts to be ghoulish, make cute and healthy mini pumpkins by inserting a slim strip of celery into an unpeeled clementine.

Overwhelmed by M&M’s and Skittles? Savor a sweet and salty snack by making Halloween trail mix popcorn balls! Microwave marshmallows until they are melted and gooey, then stir in popcorn, M&M’s and Skittles. When they’re well-combined, shape the mixture into balls and allow to cool.

Can’t decide between cake, cookies or candy? Why choose? Mix chopped candy bars into the refrigerated cookie dough of your choice, then press into a store-bought pie crust. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes and reap the rewards of your indecision.

Featured image courtesy Pixabay user jp26jp

Madelyn Paquette

The United States Postal Service features Emilio Sanchez, the first Cuban American visual artist to be recognized in a new series of Forever stamps. ...

With the first elevated concrete floor deck poured last week, the Frost Institute of Chemistry and Molecular Science is on pace to open in the summer of 2022. ...

In a new study that scrutinized the speech patterns of Freddie Mercury, Michael Phelps, and other celebrities, University of Miami researchers offer insights on how diet ultimately reshapes language. ...

The multidisciplinary forum in April will explore lessons learned from the regions. There is a call for papers to be presented, but abstracts must be submitted by Jan. 17. ...

Former executive vice president John L. Green Jr., who helped launch the University’s football dynasty with two key coaching hires, passed away this month. ...