V's Take

Dear V: Boyfriend cramping clique’s style

Over the last few months, I’ve been seeing a guy who’s in his late 30s and I’m a junior in college. I don’t usually go for older guys, but we hit it off and haven’t been able to get enough of each other since. Things are definitely heating up, as we’ve already met each other’s parents and went on a weekend trip. My friends were supportive at first, but now that we’re getting serious, they’ve changed their tune.

They keep saying an age gap that big isn’t practical and he’s going to have more in common with my parents than me. The last time I brought him along on a girls’ night out, my friends were cold and standoffish, barely even including him in the conversation. Driving home, my boyfriend asked me why my friends don’t like him – what am I supposed to say?

I’m trying to keep cool, but I wish they’d be nice when we’re all together. How can I help my friends be comfortable around my boyfriend?

Sincerely,

Mind the Gap

Dear Mind the Gap,

It’s not your boyfriend’s job to merge himself with your circle; it’s your friends’ job to welcome him. Sure, it’ll be awk at first and your guy may prefer to talk football with your dad than to dish gossip with your girls, but he’ll still appreciate the effort to include him.

The next time your crew is hesitant, have them put on a happy face – if you’ve fallen for this guy, there’s a reason you enjoy spending time with him, so they can, too. Try an activity you all enjoy, like a squad trip to the movies or a bite to eat at the bar.

If this doesn’t work, you might have to stand up to your friends. If there’s no true reason they don’t like him besides his age, they’re being shallow. However, you may find there’s a real reason they’re put off by him – they might have claimed it was the age gap to spare your feelings.

When you have feelings for someone, you sometimes ignore big “red flags” you wouldn’t normally overlook. Listen to what your friends have to say first – but if their qualm is truly only the number on his ID, you may have to ditch your friends for your guy once in a while.

Get the girls to let your boo into the crew. Maybe they’ll change their minds when they see how fun he is. Who knows, your guy could even set up one of your girls with one of his bros – that’ll really help make the clique “click.”

-V

Advice Columnist

The University of Miami spring game will not be televised or streamed live on the Internet at noon S ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Who were UM’s standouts this spring, heading into Sa ...

As the Miami Hurricanes have spent the spring trying to find answers to question after question on o ...

Navaughn Donaldson knew one thing mattered above all when he was forced to start playing center ahea ...

This spring hasn’t been easy for Miami redshirt sophomore Tate Martell, the former Ohio State quarte ...

Yvette Soler, B.M. ’96, better known as Tigrilla Gardenia, connects her music engineering background ...

Preservation Week, from April 21 to April 27, is focused on highlighting the importance of learning ...

There are numerous ways to connect with the University of Miami during the two-day tech conference o ...

A symbol of both French heritage and Catholicism, Paris’ 850-year-old gothic cathedral was gutted by ...

The Division of Student Affairs hosted a reception to present campus-wide awards and scholarships to ...

Nearly 10,000 fans got a glimpse of things to come at Camping World Stadium ...

It took much longer than anticipated, but the No. 23 Miami Hurricanes outlasted No. 8 Louisville, 16 ...

Making its fourth straight appearance in the ACC Championship semifinals, the fifth-seeded and No. 2 ...

The fifth-seeded and No. 21-ranked Miami women's tennis team knocked off fourth-seeded and nint ...

Miami was leading, 10-3, when umpires suspended play at 7 p.m. on Friday. ...