Football, Sports

Mother of defensive back Artie Burns passes away

Dana Smith, the mother of junior defensive back Artie Burns, passed away early Tuesday morning.

According to the Miami Herald’s Susan Miller Degnan, the football team was told Smith suffered a heart attack Monday night and was rushed to a local hospital. Miami coaches gathered at the hospital, including former head coach Al Golden, to support Burns. For nearly a decade, Smith raised Burns and his two younger brothers without Burns’s father, Artie Tyrone Burns Sr., who began serving a 25-year prison sentence for drug trafficking in February of 2006.

Angela Means, the mother of quarterback Brad Kaaya, took to Twitter to share her condolences.

Burns, who also hurdles for the track and field team at Miami, is in the middle of a career-year with five interceptions, third-most in the nation and tops in the ACC. His status for Saturday’s game against No. 22 Duke is unknown at this time.

A GoFundMe effort, created by the University of Miami Athletics Department, was started to support Burns and his family. You can find the GoFundMe page here.

Mark Singer

Caribbean experts assessed the coronavirus’s impact on the region in a webinar on Nov. 19 hosted by the University of Miami Institute for Advanced Study of the Americas. ...

A project on race, housing, and displacement in Miami connects past patterns of discrimination to modern disparities. ...

United Black Students and the Black Student Athlete Alliance, in partnership with the University of Miami administration, mobilize to honor the lives lost due to police brutality. ...

As students and faculty and staff members prepare to wrap up the Fall 2020 semester, here’s a look at the availability of facilities and services during the break. ...

The University of Miami president called for increased cooperation, new powers for the World Health Organization, and transparency incentives as critical to manage and mitigate future health outbreaks. ...