Football, Sports

Three potential candidates for Miami’s long-term head coach

Despite the promotion of Tight Ends Coach and Run Game Coordinator Larry Scott to interim head coach, Hurricane fans are still searching for a viable long-term head coach.

A common name that comes to the minds of Canes fans is the familiar former Hurricanes Head Coach Butch Davis. Davis coached the Canes from 1995-2000 with an overall record of 51-20. He led the team to multiple bowl game appearances, despite the flurry of sanctions surrounding the team throughout the Davis era.

Currently Davis is out of coaching and is in a position to accept a head-coaching job. Davis’s most recent job was as a special assistant for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in 2012. Although Davis returning to Miami may seem like a long shot, there is room for fans to be optimistic. In a 2014 interview with CBSSports, Davis said, “If [the UM head coach position]ever came open and people thought that I’d be the right choice, I certainly would be interested because we’ve always loved South Florida. I still live there.”

Davis is not the only potential head coach candidate. Mario Cristobal is currently the offensive line coach for the Alabama Crimson Tide, but has ties to the Miami area. He was the head coach at Florida International University (FIU) for seven seasons. During his tenure as FIU’s head coach, he developed a reputation as a strong recruiter, particularly from the South Florida area. He was able to nab FIU’s first ever ESPN top 150 recruit. Additionally, his 2009 recruiting class consisted of 23 players, 20 of which were from the Florida area.

Cristobal has ties not only to South Florida, but also to UM. In January of 2013, he was hired as an associate head coach; however, he never coached a game for UM, accepting his current position at Alabama just six weeks later.

UM alumnus Rob Chudzinski is another potential candidate for the position. He is currently an associate head coach for the Indianapolis Colts. He played tight end for the Hurricanes in the 1980s and was part of the 1987 and 1989 championship runs. Chudzinski began his coaching career with Canes in 1994 as a graduate assistant. He moved up the ranks, and he became the team’s offensive coordinator for the 2001 season, in which he was an integral part of Miami’s championship. In 2003, he left Miami for the NFL.

Regardless of who coaches the Hurricanes in 2016, fans hope that the team fares better than it did under Golden.

Tej Joshi

Mark Richt said he’s spending the bye week evaluating everything about Miami’s offense, a process th ...

Mark Richt is sticking with the veteran. The Miami Hurricanes coach announced during the weekly Atla ...

Is there an apt comparison for this year’s American League Championship series between the Boston Re ...

If the University of Miami defense isn’t boiling with frustration by now, it must be simmering in an ...

Miami Hurricanes redshirt senior Gerald Willis was the lone UM football player chosen for the Associ ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

A grant from the German government will support a series of roundtable and networking sessions on U. ...

As BioNIUM’s new director, the chair of the Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology plans t ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that globalization and technolo ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

For the second straight year, all of the Miami women's basketball teams will be televised and f ...

The University of Miami soccer team heads to the Tar Heel state for a pair of road matches beginning ...

Get to Know U is a series that introduces the newest members of the Miami Hurricanes track and field ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...