Football, Sports

Three potential candidates for Miami’s long-term head coach

Despite the promotion of Tight Ends Coach and Run Game Coordinator Larry Scott to interim head coach, Hurricane fans are still searching for a viable long-term head coach.

A common name that comes to the minds of Canes fans is the familiar former Hurricanes Head Coach Butch Davis. Davis coached the Canes from 1995-2000 with an overall record of 51-20. He led the team to multiple bowl game appearances, despite the flurry of sanctions surrounding the team throughout the Davis era.

Currently Davis is out of coaching and is in a position to accept a head-coaching job. Davis’s most recent job was as a special assistant for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in 2012. Although Davis returning to Miami may seem like a long shot, there is room for fans to be optimistic. In a 2014 interview with CBSSports, Davis said, “If [the UM head coach position]ever came open and people thought that I’d be the right choice, I certainly would be interested because we’ve always loved South Florida. I still live there.”

Davis is not the only potential head coach candidate. Mario Cristobal is currently the offensive line coach for the Alabama Crimson Tide, but has ties to the Miami area. He was the head coach at Florida International University (FIU) for seven seasons. During his tenure as FIU’s head coach, he developed a reputation as a strong recruiter, particularly from the South Florida area. He was able to nab FIU’s first ever ESPN top 150 recruit. Additionally, his 2009 recruiting class consisted of 23 players, 20 of which were from the Florida area.

Cristobal has ties not only to South Florida, but also to UM. In January of 2013, he was hired as an associate head coach; however, he never coached a game for UM, accepting his current position at Alabama just six weeks later.

UM alumnus Rob Chudzinski is another potential candidate for the position. He is currently an associate head coach for the Indianapolis Colts. He played tight end for the Hurricanes in the 1980s and was part of the 1987 and 1989 championship runs. Chudzinski began his coaching career with Canes in 1994 as a graduate assistant. He moved up the ranks, and he became the team’s offensive coordinator for the 2001 season, in which he was an integral part of Miami’s championship. In 2003, he left Miami for the NFL.

Regardless of who coaches the Hurricanes in 2016, fans hope that the team fares better than it did under Golden.

Tej Joshi

June is a huge recruiting month for the Miami Hurricanes. It concludes with Paradise Camp on June 22 ...

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Frank Garis first watched Jalen Rivers from the opposite sideline, and the offensive lineman was imp ...

George Stewart had a big problem, and little time to solve it. It was Week 6 of the 2018 season, and ...

One of the interesting subplots of this Hurricanes season will be watching the evolution of a bunch ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

Nursing researchers and music therapists test a simple and cost-effective way of motivating critical ...

The University of Miami Libraries offer readers multiple ways to access the books, which are popular ...

Rosenstiel School researcher Martin Grosell weighs in on how marine life in the Gulf could be affect ...

Varona, an attorney and educator who specializes in administrative law, communications and media law ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...

Two-time Miami women's basketball team co-captain Laura Cornelius is set to start her professio ...

Courtney spent nine years previously on Jim Larranaga's staff from 1996-2005. ...

The University of Miami track and field program received 17 All-America honors at the conclusion of ...